UFC’s Middleweight Division

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC’s Middleweight Division
oleg
8/8/08 2:32:46PM
In 2002, the reigning UFC middleweight champion Murillo Bustamante left the organization in the midst of a contract dispute, throwing the 185-lbs weight class into disarray. UFC did not crown a new champion until 2005, when Evan Tanner defeated David Terrell at UFC 51 for the vacant belt. Tanner then lost the belt to Rich Franklin in his very first defense; Franklin held on to the title for over a year before succumbing to the current 185-lbs and P4P king, Anderson Silva.

The three-year long title hiatus really hurt the UFC’s middleweight division: in contrast to 170-lbs and 205-lbs where they are the home for the overwhelming majority of the top fighters, at 185 UFC only holds 3 of the Top 5, 4 of the Top 10, and and 10 of the Top 20 fighters in the world, according to the latest Fightmatrix.com ranking.

Here's an in-depth look at the top middleweights in UFC
nickcuc547
8/8/08 3:02:56PM
the middleweight division is still pretty deep. silva is the best p4p fighter in the world. rich, hendo, marquardt, kampmann, leites, palhares, are all good contenders. add jason lambert and goran reljic to the mix and you have a pretty deep divison. and middleweight as a whole is a deep divison in the sport. elite xc, strike force, dream all have strong middleweight divisons.
aaa9erh8er
8/8/08 3:18:11PM
not to say the middelweight div isnt stacked but the WW and LHW div's are redicoulus
sillysnail
8/8/08 3:20:27PM
the problem with the ufc mw division is the champ is so much better than the top competition that it appears that there is no depth. apart from hendo....who even poses a threat to the guy? look at the other divisions in the ufc and the champs are always on their heels.
gsquat
8/8/08 3:27:03PM
Its a very skewed division. Thats for sure. The champ is a world away from everyone else. In time these sort of things will work themselves out. Fighters will come down in weight, new prospects will be found, and the champ will be challenged.

Btw, I love fightmatrix.com It needs to be the official ranking system.

Oleg. I have an av. bet with you right (Machida/Silva)? You changed your avatar. Right?
oleg
8/8/08 4:33:34PM

Posted by gsquat

Its a very skewed division. Thats for sure. The champ is a world away from everyone else. In time these sort of things will work themselves out. Fighters will come down in weight, new prospects will be found, and the champ will be challenged.

Btw, I love fightmatrix.com It needs to be the official ranking system.

Oleg. I have an av. bet with you right (Machida/Silva)? You changed your avatar. Right?

Avatar bet? You're thinking of someone else, I won't bet on Machida/Silva... that's a pick 'em.
grappler0000
8/8/08 4:41:51PM
It's interesting to see Lawler pull in front of Hendo...of coarse he's been on a tear, while Hendo has lost his last couple. I think Filho could be moving down the rankings soon too, if Sonnen sticks to the game plan this time.

Edit: Oleg, I just noticed you're from Southfield. It's a small world...I work in Farmington Hills.
gsquat
8/8/08 5:06:09PM
Who's the guy with the wolf mask dude avatar? I thought his name was oleg.

Wait! its Ordep. Nevermind. Stupid O's.
oleg
8/8/08 5:30:44PM

Posted by grappler0000

It's interesting to see Lawler pull in front of Hendo...of coarse he's been on a tear, while Hendo has lost his last couple. I think Filho could be moving down the rankings soon too, if Sonnen sticks to the game plan this time.

Edit: Oleg, I just noticed you're from Southfield. It's a small world...I work in Farmington Hills.

So do I... lots of MI folk on this board.
prozacnation1978
8/9/08 10:07:20AM
the division is fine right now
MMAcca
8/9/08 10:49:03AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

the division is fine right now

Only the UFC's HW division is lacking.......