Middle weight getting alot of BJJ guys

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Middle weight getting alot of BJJ guys
POLL: How has the best BJJ?
Rousimar Palhares 11% (2)
Demian Maia 68% (13)
Ricardo Almeida 21% (4)
Anderson Silva 0% (0)
Violence108
5/26/08 6:10:37PM
i noticed that the UFC middle weight divison is getting alot of bjj guy recently
Rousimar Palhares
Demian Maia
Ricardo Almeida
all these guys are great bjj guys, and Anderson Silva has shown in the past that his ground ground is not all that tight, i mean he is agreat bjj guy sub Dan Henderson and Lutter but they could him down in in good postions as well, i think that one of those guys could beat Silva given that shot.
juanez13
5/26/08 6:38:10PM
i said it before and i'll say it again, its gonna take a pure grappler to beat anderson silva, someone who doesnt want any part of the stand up and just takes it to the ground every chance given. Lutter could have been it, but his lack of cardio and will screwed him of that chance, Henderson could have also pulled it off if he had not stood with anderson the 2nd round. If these guys smarten up and learn its too dangerous to stand with silva, guaranteed they'll do much better, not saying all of them would win but they'll put up a better fight and have a higher chance of winning.

The best BJJ guy in the division right now i'd say is damian maia as far as pure BJJ, Almeida is also dangerous, especially with his wrestling being above any other BJJ practitioners. Palhares, although too early to tell, could be the real deal, him being short at stocky helps him IMO, + he loves leg locks, which i think its the best way to beat anderson silva, just like Tim sylvia, anderson throws alot of up kicks when he is on the bottom, might not be a bad idea to grab a hold of one, plus him being lanky, shouldnt take much to make him tap, as a guy say with Mirko's like legs.
babalu2720
5/26/08 7:06:04PM
I'm going to go with Almedia because of what Juanez said. He has the best wrestling out of the bunch, and has proven he can translate his ground game to MMA. I think Maia and Palhares have more potential in the long run to be better than Ricardo, but at the current moment, I'll go with the seasoned vet Almedia.
Violence108
5/26/08 8:04:25PM
yeah i am going to have to change my mind and say Ricardo Almeida after watch ing him in PRIDE 12 he looked good in that fight good leg kicks and just about all stand up , i know it was along time ago but those skills just dont disappear u know.
jiujitsufreak74
5/26/08 8:35:16PM
well there are two ways to answer your question. if you are talking about the best pure BJJ then i would have to go with Demian Maia. his accomplishments in BJJ include:
* 2007 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion
* 2007 Super Challenge under-83kgs Champion
* 2006 Pan American Champion
* 2005 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Runner-Up
* Three-time World Cup champion
* Two-time World Champion
* Brazilian champion
* 7x state champion
* 4x Brazilian team champion
Maia has accomplished the most by far in BJJ out of the 4 you mentioned. Almeida, Silva and Palhares do not have the wins in BJJ nor the titles or championships that Maia has. although, Almeida would definitely be in second since he usually makes a splash in the ADCC Absolute division coming in 4th in 2001 and 3rd in 2000. only Maia and Almeida have been in the high level BJJ/grappling tournaments and Maia has had more success then Almeida.

now in terms of BJJ adapted in MMA it is too early to tell imo. Maia has looked really smooth with a dangerous guard. Palhares seems to have lightning speed, slick transitions and a vicious offense. Almeida is slick with the guillotine and he tends to use his JJ less offensively then do Maia or Palhares. and Silva has great BJJ, but he only has 1 (2 if you countt Lutter) fight that he won by submission from a choke or lock.
tylerlee123
5/27/08 12:37:13PM
Its because after the Lutter fight they realized oh thats how you beat him, So they went ahead and got back Almeida, and then scored Meia, and Palhares they know what there doing ! or do they
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/27/08 2:15:26PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well there are two ways to answer your question. if you are talking about the best pure BJJ then i would have to go with Demian Maia. his accomplishments in BJJ include:
* 2007 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion
* 2007 Super Challenge under-83kgs Champion
* 2006 Pan American Champion
* 2005 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Runner-Up
* Three-time World Cup champion
* Two-time World Champion
* Brazilian champion
* 7x state champion
* 4x Brazilian team champion
Maia has accomplished the most by far in BJJ out of the 4 you mentioned. Almeida, Silva and Palhares do not have the wins in BJJ nor the titles or championships that Maia has. although, Almeida would definitely be in second since he usually makes a splash in the ADCC Absolute division coming in 4th in 2001 and 3rd in 2000. only Maia and Almeida have been in the high level BJJ/grappling tournaments and Maia has had more success then Almeida.

now in terms of BJJ adapted in MMA it is too early to tell imo. Maia has looked really smooth with a dangerous guard. Palhares seems to have lightning speed, slick transitions and a vicious offense. Almeida is slick with the guillotine and he tends to use his JJ less offensively then do Maia or Palhares. and Silva has great BJJ, but he only has 1 (2 if you countt Lutter) fight that he won by submission from a choke or lock.