Michael Bisping: Wanderlei Silva Will NOT Be My Opponent at UFC 105

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Michael Bisping: Wanderlei Silva Will NOT Be My Opponent at UFC 105
emfleek
8/19/09 8:30:34AM
Quick update on the potential Wanderlei Silva fight. Unfortunately thats not gonna happen. He's undergone facial surgery, so obviously won't be fighting in the near future. Rumours are he's actually out for the rest of the year.

So as of right now, Im still unaware of who I'll be facing at UFC 105. Obviously as stated before, when I know, you know.

STORY
Nightmare27
8/19/09 9:44:45AM
Thats too bad I was hoping this fight would happen.
hippysmacker
8/19/09 10:43:44AM
Personally I think Bisping just lucked out. He doesn't have the power to keep Wandy from walking through his punches , getting clinch and kneeing him unconscious IMO. Gouvea. Akiyama, or Kang would all be intriguing opponents for him IMO. Maybe even Mcfedries, but I think Bisping would need to go to the ground right away with him or risk another devastating KO, this time in the first 3 minutes of the fight. I actually favor Gouvea and Akiyama against him pretty confidently. Kang and him would be probably be the hardest to pick for me, as I think each is overhyped a bit. He could beat McFedries pretty quickly if he took it to the ground, but I don't know if he would. If they want someone with some name recognition to the casual fan he should beat, then how about Grove? They were on the same season and team of The ultimate fighter. They both won that season, but with Bisping having moved down to 185 they could fight. I am sure Zuffa could promote this with all the TUF footage, and the fact that these 2 guys like to talk a little smack .
kopower
8/19/09 12:00:18PM
I'm sure the UFC will want to build him up a bit before giving him top level competition again. I'm guessing a mid tier fighter
Mayhem13
8/19/09 12:49:33PM
Bisping vs Grove is my guess.

slapshot
8/19/09 1:04:25PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Personally I think Bisping just lucked out. He doesn't have the power to keep Wandy from walking through his punches , getting clinch and kneeing him unconscious IMO. Gouvea. Akiyama, or Kang would all be intriguing opponents for him IMO. Maybe even Mcfedries, but I think Bisping would need to go to the ground right away with him or risk another devastating KO, this time in the first 3 minutes of the fight. I actually favor Gouvea and Akiyama against him pretty confidently. Kang and him would be probably be the hardest to pick for me, as I think each is overhyped a bit. He could beat McFedries pretty quickly if he took it to the ground, but I don't know if he would. If they want someone with some name recognition to the casual fan he should beat, then how about Grove? They were on the same season and team of The ultimate fighter. They both won that season, but with Bisping having moved down to 185 they could fight. I am sure Zuffa could promote this with all the TUF footage, and the fact that these 2 guys like to talk a little smack .

Im right there with you, Wanderlei Silva would more likly than not just make a mess of him.

That said Id still love to see it.
DCRage
8/19/09 1:11:00PM
And can MMABay.co.uk EXCLUSIVELY confirm this? They were the ones who first broke this ultimately false rumor (fight happening) in the first place.
KaibaThedon
8/19/09 2:44:40PM
I like the idea of Bisping vs Grove, but I think Bisping would win via stick and move pointing on his way to a UD.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/19/09 3:37:55PM
So it turns out Bisping WILL NOT have to make funeral arrangements ....
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/19/09 4:07:28PM
so those pics of Wanderlei where he looked weird were actually real, I was wondering.
jae_1833
8/19/09 4:15:57PM
I would love to see Bisping vs either of those, Akiyama, Kang or Gouviea...ton of possibilities though they could match him up with Belcher, Grove, Cote, Quarry, MacDonald, or even Matyshenko for exciting fights....although I am sure the Janitor would "mop the floor" with him/
seanfu
8/19/09 4:43:18PM
They don't need Bisping anymore now that they actually have more than one British star, so hopefully they give him someone that will challenge him.
BigBadAl
8/19/09 4:50:28PM

Posted by DCRage

And can MMABay.co.uk EXCLUSIVELY confirm this? They were the ones who first broke this ultimately false rumor (fight happening) in the first place.

Bisping confirmed it 2 days ago on his own website

LINK
prozacnation1978
8/19/09 6:52:00PM
i would rather see bisping vs belcher than bisping vs grove

or even kang?? i wanted cote, but with him out,
i heard winner or nate vs damien might fight bisping
i hope it's belcher
Rush
8/19/09 10:33:02PM
Pitty, I was hoping to see Wanderlei bounce back with another highlight reel KO.
telnights
8/20/09 12:56:11AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Wandy would have been bad for Bisping coming off that huge KO loss you don't want to fight a guy that has better stand up and hits even harder than the guy that just KOed you.