Michael Bisping planning on going "straight through" Chris Leben

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Michael Bisping planning on going "straight through" Chris Leben
MMAcca
8/3/08 1:00:57PM
UFC middleweight Michael Bisping (16-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) will get his second shot at headlining a card at October's UFC 89 event in his native England. And while Bisping's first headlining gig netted him his only career loss to date against Rashad Evans, "The Count" thinks this time will be different.

Bisping discussed his upcoming bout with Chris Leben while a guest on a special weekend edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"I've got respect for [Leben]," Bisping said. "But I'm going to go straight through him. That's what I'm made to do."

The fight will be Bisping's third in the middleweight division. The Liverpool native started his career at 205 pounds, but he made the decision to move down a weight class after suffering the lone loss of his career.

LINK
SpiderSilva
8/3/08 1:04:53PM
Im sure Leben is thinking the same thing
Twenty20Dollars
8/3/08 1:11:31PM
Im sure leben is going "straight through" bisping.
nickcuc547
8/3/08 1:55:31PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

i have to disagree, bisping is too skilled for leben. man bisping is about as hated as shogun is liked.
bojangalz
8/3/08 2:02:36PM

Posted by nickcuc547

i have to disagree, bisping is too skilled for leben. man bisping is about as hated as shogun is liked.

I think Bisbing has the skills to step in against anyone in the 185 division. I'm not saying he'd beat Silva or Franklin, but he would probably at least give them a run for their money. BUT- I'm not sure that Bisbing is SMART enough to step in against the top fighters in the division.

I've heard his quotes about going toe-to-toe with Leben and trading with him. Talk about a recipe for disaster. If Bisbing goes into the cage with the idea that he's going to show the motherland that he's man enough to trade with Leben he'll be out cold in the first.

I think if Bisbing uses the clinch, and his footwork, he can outwork Leben and win with a late sub, or decision (it's in England after all).
gsquat
8/3/08 2:14:38PM
I'm sure they're both thinking the same thing, but Bisping is going straight to a decision win.
juanez13
8/3/08 2:22:38PM
Bisping showed good takedowns against Jason Day, which i think is what he'll end up doing after he catches a few punches to the dome, as soon as he smells trouble he'll shoot for the takedown. Bisping will beat him to a UD.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/3/08 2:51:28PM

leben lost to kalib starnes FFS! avatar bet?
Aether
8/3/08 4:45:19PM
despite his performance against Nate Quarry, Starnes is actually a skilled fighter. He was one of the favourites to win TUF when he was a contestant before his injury. At the time of his fight with Leben, Starnes was 7-1 with his only loss coming from Okami and a win over Jason MacDonald. His last performance might have been an embarrassment, but don't discredit his former opponents because of it, it doesn't change the fact that he can actually fight pretty well when he's not running away.

Leben shouldn't be discounted because of Starnes' last fight. I bet if the Quarry fight didn't happen no one would say anything about Leben losing to Starnes.
balack_o-bama
8/3/08 5:40:50PM
I highly doubt this will happen. I think Leben is goin to put Bisping down for..."the count"
Sir_Karl
8/3/08 6:10:35PM
I don't know if Bisping is going to be able to go through Leben like he says.
If it turns into a stand up slug fest I see Bisping getting the worst of it.
Bisping hasn't faced anyone who can "throw bones" like Leben.
Now if Bisping fights smart, uses his Muay Thai clinch/pinch and throws good knees and elbows he might fare well.
Unfortunately for the Count...this is were Leben may slip in a mean punch or two, throwing Bisping back...turning the fight into that "slug fest" I mentioned.
If it goes to the ground and Bisping gets on top of Chris and stays there....Bisping could take a decision.
I don't see Bisping walking through Leben but I definitely think he can win it....as I think Leben can too.
At the end of it you might see Bisping trying to peel himself off the canvas (seeing birds), asking Herb Dean what happened., or you might see a decision go to Bisping.
It should be a good fight either way.
I like both fighters so I will be happy for one and disappointed for the other.
Good fight.
Sam_Rothstein
8/3/08 6:11:07PM
Bisping better get this fight to the ground because hes gonna get knocked silly trying to stand with leben

They might need to go outside the organization and find some more punching bags to bring in for their uk poster boy.
cagefight
8/3/08 6:27:19PM
I hope leben sends him back to england for good.
Red-Dragon
8/3/08 6:35:34PM
blah blah blah to those who are saying Bisping will be out cold if he stands with Leben you have not considered the striking skill difference between the two fighters. Bisping is a far more intelligent striker, Not on the level of Silva I know but Leben just swings for the fences. A good striker can stand with Leben and outstike him 5 to 1. Also Leben has no leg kicks whereas Bisping is an accomplished kickboxer. What I am trying to say is dont count the Count out if he stands and trades. I dont think this fight is going to a decision. Bisping fought a very simliar style fighter to Leben in the UK before he was in the UFC and it ended in a Bisping TKO victory.
iwannabesedated
8/3/08 6:44:51PM
Yeah this fight appears to have KO written all over it..But you never know it could be a snooze fest....But Leben and Bispings fights are normally entertaining..So i'm sticking to my KO for Leben.
bls1919
8/3/08 7:20:05PM
This should be a great fight. I'm going with a Leben KO 2nd.
candynuts
8/3/08 7:35:31PM
One of the few Bisping supporters here on the playground, I do think that he knows Leben packs a lot of power in his punches so I expect Bisping to work some standup, but then utilize the clinch and maybe go for the takedown + GnP. Bisping is the better striker overall but I will say that Leben has improved a lot.
Go Bisping!! I got Bisping by (T)KO in Rd. 3 or UD.
tmas
8/4/08 11:14:40AM
just because Leben has power and brawls doesnt mean he is a stupid striker.

he is a great striker plain simple, he is smart, he has skill, and knows how and when to use the power.

mark my words

the crippler will cripple the brash Count

MMAcca
8/4/08 4:28:09PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

blah blah blah to those who are saying Bisping will be out cold if he stands with Leben you have not considered the striking skill difference between the two fighters. Bisping is a far more intelligent striker, Not on the level of Silva I know but Leben just swings for the fences. A good striker can stand with Leben and outstike him 5 to 1. Also Leben has no leg kicks whereas Bisping is an accomplished kickboxer. What I am trying to say is dont count the Count out if he stands and trades. I dont think this fight is going to a decision. Bisping fought a very simliar style fighter to Leben in the UK before he was in the UFC and it ended in a Bisping TKO victory.

I agree Red-Dragon, although Leben is on a whole nother level to Epstein talent-wise:

I can't beleive soooo many people are doubting Bisping in this fight eek:

Strikers are Bisping's bread and butter and no disrespect to Leben but i don't think he will give Bisping as much trouble as Day did!