Michael Bisping vs. Demian Maia to be Announced Wednesday

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Michael Bisping vs. Demian Maia to be Announced Wednesday
FastKnockout
12/7/11 12:10:30AM
There has been some buzz over the past few days that Michael Bisping would be matched up with Demian Maia at UFC on Fox in his next fight following the Brit's destruction of Jason Miller. Now it seems the pieces are falling into place for that to become a reality at the Chicago press conference on Wednesday.

First, just days ago, Dana White was hinting at Bisping getting a spot on the card (via ESPN):

...A collision, possibly with Demian Maia, is a "possibility" for the Fox card in January.

"UFC on Fox 2 will have three headliners, we just haven't announced the other one yet," White toldMMA Fighting, having already announced Rashad Evans v Phil Davis and Sonnen v Munoz.

He was then asked, 'Are you implying Bisping may be on that card as well?', to which White replied: "It's a possibility."

LINK
FastKnockout
12/7/11 12:12:37AM
Not the direction I was thinking for Bisping.
FlashyG
12/7/11 12:22:32AM
I was really hoping he'd get tested vs a striker.

He said himself he's not ready for a title shot with Silva yet, so I figured he'd start facing more strikers to prepare.

I'm not sure how giving him another grappler will help him prepare in anyway for Silva.

I think he'll win this fight the same way he did against Miller, and I really don't have much interest in this fight at all.
grappler0000
12/7/11 12:35:48AM
meh
Chael_Sonnen
12/7/11 12:36:48AM
Mr. Maia would tool Bis-bing on the feet and bend him like a pretzel on the ground....I'm all for it
Poor_Franklin
12/7/11 1:39:47AM
Rabi
12/7/11 1:51:37AM
I think this is a good fight for Bisping, Maia is a bigger name then Miller ( he does have a win over Sonnen) and I think Bisping would beat him up and win via a UD.
bjj1605
12/7/11 2:02:40AM

Posted by Rabi

I think this is a good fight for Bisping, Maia is a bigger name then Miller ( he does have a win over Sonnen) and I think Bisping would beat him up and win via a UD.

prepare to be disappointed.

This is the man that sent Chael Sonnen flying through the air. I think he can get Bisping down.

I do have to say though, his grappling has really suffered since he started working on the stand-up. I'll probably go with a UD because his subs just aren't there any more.
Twenty20Dollars
12/7/11 2:56:25AM
I did think this could be a possible matchup in another thread when we were thinking who could be next for him.

Maia needs to get back to working his ground game here though for sure. Bisping could probably just pepper his way to a decision, if Maia tries to just stand and trade with Bisping.
babalu46
12/7/11 5:23:48AM
IMO this is the UFC building Bispings reputation.

Maia is a much bigger name and Maia has had a title shot but this is a very winnable fight for Bisping. Maia has poor-average takedowns and Bisping has great takedown defense and should have a significant striking advantage.
RearNakedJoke
12/7/11 5:52:54AM
I'd rather see Bisping fight Belfort, Stann, or Belcher.
Budgellism
12/7/11 6:10:52AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

This.

On the other hand though Maia is one of my favourite fighters and watching him sub out Bisping would be awesome to watch.

Maia is a better version of Mayhem tbh. His striking isn't great (Leaps and bounds better than Miller though), his wrestling isn't great (Although he has more tools in that department as well) and his ground game is ridiculous (More so than Mayhem). This makes for an interesting fight and the easiest way to a title shot that Bisping is ever going to get. Will he actually win though? I don't think so.
jjeans
12/7/11 6:17:30AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Dana wants to sell Bisping for all he's worth, wins over Dan and Jason Miller, Maia and Akiyama that would solidify his biggest win streak to date, after this he'll probably have earned his rematch with Wanderlei, then he'll have either earned a title shot or a legit contender who could damage him
State_Champ
12/7/11 7:52:05AM
I wish it were Bisping vs Belfort.

I get the feeling that the UFC is trying to sneak Bisping into title contention. He has avoided Marquardt (no longer with UFC), Belfort, Chael, Okami, Munoz, and Belcher thus far.

Glad to see he's getting Maia, but the Maia fight seems conveniently winnable for Bisping.

WAR MAIA
Lucas
12/7/11 8:44:41AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Mr. Maia would tool Bis-bing on the feet and bend him like a pretzel on the ground....I'm all for it

I agree with the point you make if it goes to the ground then Maia has the skills to win but i honestly haven't seen anything in their previous fights to suggest to me Maia will tool Bisping on their feet.

I think Bisping wins by UD
airkerma
12/7/11 9:23:41AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I'm surprised that this is the minority held view. I think Maia has everything for Biz other than ko power (which neither possess). I like this fight and think Biz gets handed a one sided UD loss.
bjj1605
12/7/11 9:45:12AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I'm surprised that this is the minority held view. I think Maia has everything for Biz other than ko power (which neither possess). I like this fight and think Biz gets handed a one sided UD loss.

"niether possess" is probably true.

But Maia has more power than Bisping does. He stagggered Munoz in their fight. I can all but guarantee that Bisping would never hurt him like that.

This is a winnable fight for both guys. I wouldn't be SHOCKED if Bisping won. But I think Maia should be the clear favorite. If not, I'd be happy to take advantage of the odds.
shaneTpain
12/7/11 10:12:16AM
Maia is gonna do what Mayhem should have done & tap Bisping in the first. period.
NE-1
12/7/11 10:47:42AM

Posted by bjj1605.

"niether possess" is probably true.

But Maia has more power than Bisping does. He stagggered Munoz in their fight. I can all but guarantee that Bisping would never hurt him like that.

This is a winnable fight for both guys. I wouldn't be SHOCKED if Bisping won. But I think Maia should be the clear favorite. If not, I'd be happy to take advantage of the odds.

I agree with you 100%. People seem to forget how improved Maia's standup is. Also, barring a Marquardt dynamite right hand, he's showed a great chin and went all 5 rounds with silva taking some hard shots.

I think he can hang with Bisping on the feet and may even have the edge. He runs a clinic on the ground.
Bubbles
12/7/11 11:44:12AM
first of all Belfort already has a fight lined up in Brazil. i highly doubt Bisping wants to wait til the summer to fight again. and whats to say Rumble doesnt beat him?

Maia is a top 5 MW, something Bisping hasnt fought yet. everyone here wanted him to fight someone highly ranked (top 10) and here it is. he is also the only top MW without a fight booked. Munoz, Sonnen, Okami and Belfort are tied up. Marquardt is cut. Stann is a bottom top 10 but is coming off a loss and doesnt make sense in a run to the title. Belcher may be considered a top 10 but he doesnt have any recent top 20 wins, making that fight pointless in qualifying a Bisping title shot.

its all about timing, and if Dana would have waited til after the card to book these Fox fights, then we may have heard something different in terms of matchups.
Twenty20Dollars
12/7/11 11:47:49AM
I'm suprised Bisping is fighting again so soon. With already some heavy hitters on the card, looks like they want to go big for UFConFOX2
KungFuMaster
12/7/11 12:34:09PM
That is too bad. I was hoping the ufc would give Bisping another chance at redemption against a solid wrestler like Sonnen.
Manak
12/7/11 12:36:24PM

Posted by State_Champ

I wish it were Bisping vs Belfort.

I get the feeling that the UFC is trying to sneak Bisping into title contention. He has avoided Marquardt (no longer with UFC), Belfort, Chael, Okami, Munoz, and Belcher thus far.

Glad to see he's getting Maia, but the Maia fight seems conveniently winnable for Bisping.

WAR MAIA

Pretty crazy too think that he could getting a title shot when his biggest win would be maia if he beats him... the best guys he has fought he has lost to them too. dan, rashad, wanderlei, and should have lost to hamil too. if does beat maia and thats a big if to me, he should have to fight one more time vs one of the guys state_champ said above. I know guys are getting shots for alot less than what bispiting has doen but still one quality win (if he beat maia) isnt enough in my eyes. esp when u have chael/munoz, hendo, vitor/johnson out there for fights or anderson going to 205 which would all be better options then anderson/bisping.

I wouldnt mind seeing him vs cung lee or a rematch with wand
State_Champ
12/7/11 1:45:00PM

Posted by Bubbles

first of all Belfort already has a fight lined up in Brazil. i highly doubt Bisping wants to wait til the summer to fight again. and whats to say Rumble doesnt beat him?

Maia is a top 5 MW, something Bisping hasnt fought yet. everyone here wanted him to fight someone highly ranked (top 10) and here it is. he is also the only top MW without a fight booked. Munoz, Sonnen, Okami and Belfort are tied up. Marquardt is cut. Stann is a bottom top 10 but is coming off a loss and doesnt make sense in a run to the title. Belcher may be considered a top 10 but he doesnt have any recent top 20 wins, making that fight pointless in qualifying a Bisping title shot.

its all about timing, and if Dana would have waited til after the card to book these Fox fights, then we may have heard something different in terms of matchups.

First of all, I want to see Belfort vs Bisping, and it doesn't matter AT ALL (to me) whether or not Belfort is coming off a win over RUMBLE Johnson.

True, Maia is a top MW. I am eager to see his fight with Bisping. I think Maia has a good chance of beating Bisping, likewise Bisping could beat Maia.

Plus, Bisping is a fresh-face for Anderson Silva to fight. Furthermore, I imagine that Bisping is one of the more well-known fighters since he has been on TUF multiple times as both a coach and a contestant, and he has headlined a few fight cards.

Manak
12/7/11 3:16:22PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Bubbles

First of all, I want to see Belfort vs Bisping, and it doesn't matter AT ALL (to me) whether or not Belfort is coming off a win over RUMBLE Johnson.

True, Maia is a top MW. I am eager to see his fight with Bisping. I think Maia has a good chance of beating Bisping, likewise Bisping could beat Maia.

Plus, Bisping is a fresh-face for Anderson Silva to fight. Furthermore, I imagine that Bisping is one of the more well-known fighters since he has been on TUF multiple times as both a coach and a contestant, and he has headlined a few fight cards.

I agree he is a fresh face to face anderson, but he offers no specialty that anderson other opponents had to threaten him. He is is good at most things but doesn't have some glaring strength that will be like man if he can do that to silva he will win. but im just being picky cause anderson is entering his latter years and I only want to see him in fights that are of epic proportion & not another dance off