Michael Bisping vs Chris Leben UFC 89 fight set for Birmingham

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Michael Bisping vs Chris Leben UFC 89 fight set for Birmingham
Next Page »
SmileR
6/27/08 10:41:10AM
The 185-pound clash between Michael Bisping (16-1) and Chris Leben (18-4) is back on and will take place at the National Indoor Arena (NIA) in Birmingham, England, on October 9, according to recent comments from UK UFC President Marshall Zelaznik in an interview with SetantaSports.com.

Here’s the snip:

“Two of our amazing fighters, Michael Bisping and Chris Leben, have just agreed to fight. Everyone knows about Leben’s striking power, and it’s the strike fest everyone wants. It’s the fight everyone wants to see.”

Indeed, this has fireworks written all over it — both men prefer to keep on the feet and throw leather. If it does go to the ground, however, Leben possesses a distinct advantage with his underrated ground skills.

“The Crippler” and “The Count” were set to bang it out at UFC 85: “Bedlam” earlier this month. But Leben was jailed for an old parole violation when he turned himself in, which he needed to do if he wanted to obtain a visa to travel overseas to fight in London.

Link
gsquat
6/27/08 11:05:16AM
I don't think you'll see the exact same Bisping as we did in the last two fights. He'll respect Leben's punching power and be more patient. Probably Bisping UD.
emfleek
6/27/08 11:09:19AM
Tough call...

I hope Leben wins, though.
juanez13
6/27/08 11:42:53AM
great fight, bad main event, hopefully they can get silva/Okami for this card.

dont know if that article mentioned it was the main event, but here is where i got itLINK
candynuts
6/27/08 11:55:42AM
Hell yea, lets go Bisping!
Should be a great fight though, but hopefully this is not the main event, probably more of a temporary slot until they start assigning fights.
JBatch
6/27/08 12:02:52PM
This is going to be amazing. Hopefully not the main event but if it is I am still going to watch.
Figsak
6/27/08 12:05:36PM
Bisping UD without a doubt
bullettdodger
6/27/08 12:13:40PM
Will be a good fight, Hope Leben pulls out the W
CornishMMA
6/27/08 12:18:09PM

Posted by Figsak

I have a little doubt as Leben hits HARD! as does Bisping now se he could put Leben away, 1 thing is for sure theres no subs in this one and has WAR written all over it

Now this really is the very 1st striker Bisping has fought in the UFC (Day kinda was but Leben is more of a pure striker) all his other fights were against BJJ guys or wrestlers

Here we will see how he does against a fellow striker who has a good chin and hits hard, will be interested to see what the picks % is on this cos i will like Leben as an underdog
bullettdodger
6/27/08 12:28:02PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by Figsak

I have a little doubt as Leben hits HARD! as does Bisping now se he could put Leben away, 1 thing is for sure theres no subs in this one and has WAR written all over it

Now this really is the very 1st striker Bisping has fought in the UFC (Day kinda was but Leben is more of a pure striker) all his other fights were against BJJ guys or wrestlers

Here we will see how he does against a fellow striker who has a good chin and hits hard, will be interested to see what the picks % is on this cos i will like Leben as an underdog

i would looove Leben as an underdog pick
coldchillin
6/27/08 12:47:29PM
this is the type of fight that has Fight Of The Year written all over it.
casey64
6/27/08 12:55:49PM
I'm taking Bisping on this one, I dont like Leben.
DevonFoxy
6/27/08 1:03:20PM
I'm Really hoping these two knock each other out

I really dislike both fighters but I think Leben has the edge in striking as when he gets hit in the face he becomes stronger and swings to kill but I could easily see this fight going to the ground for all three rounds if Bisping thinks he can't win on the feet and inking out a decision.

Still though hoping for both fighters to knock each other out.
Twenty20Dollars
6/27/08 1:11:34PM
Bisping will get this chin tested, and make try for a take down once leben rocks him and bisping will find out that leben is no slouch on the ground.

which will lead to leben getting the tko late 2nd or middle of the 3rd
Mchubb316
6/27/08 1:19:11PM
Iam happy the UFC is making this fight happen. Bisping has looked quick, and explosive at 185. Leben will test his chin. Should be a good fight.
bullettdodger
6/27/08 1:19:30PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I'm Really hoping these two knock each other out

I really dislike both fighters but I think Leben has the edge in striking as when he gets hit in the face he becomes stronger and swings to kill but I could easily see this fight going to the ground for all three rounds if Bisping thinks he can't win on the feet and inking out a decision.

Still though hoping for both fighters to knock each other out.

A double knockout, like leben throws a right and bisping throws a high kick and they both knock each other out cold... i'd be fine with that... for pure entertainment's sake anyway
bojangalz
6/27/08 1:40:47PM
Leben will screw something up state-side before the fight and lose his chance at a visa two weeks before the show. They'll take some American pud off of his english barstool and put him in against the Count, and we'll have another damaged UK fight card.

They better put forth a good faith effort to get another headliner in the works, cause I'm still sceptical that this fight happens.
MMAcca
6/27/08 1:49:22PM
Don't get me wrong, i'm excited to see this fight but will Bisping ever fight in the US, without 15-20,000 fans cheering him on ?
Figsak
6/27/08 1:50:36PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by Figsak

Call me crazy, but I think Leben is overrated as a striker. He may have power in his hands, but his strikes are slow and sloppy. He's the type of striker that IF you fight smart, and stay mobile, you can totally avoid his power.

I DO think he's very very tough. As I said in a previous post, he's the kind of fighter that can take an ass whoopin, and fight while half unconscious. It takes a fighter with stamina, heart, and smart striking, not pocket brawling to beat him. I think Bisping is that type of fighter.

I do think we're about to find out what kind of chin Bisping has though.
dannyfrank
6/27/08 1:56:46PM
cant wait. this should be an awesome fight!
MMAcca
6/27/08 1:57:58PM
I doubt this event will take place at teh NIA (National Indoor Arena) as it only holds 4 or 5000 people.

It will more than likely be at the NEC, whice is much bigger.
imanidiot777
6/27/08 2:03:59PM
Since Bisping has moved to 185 is skills seem alot more crisp, although Leben has ridiculous punching power they are often sloppy or he just goes nuts, obviously that gives him a good chance but I think overall skill will take this one: Bisping UD
moob
6/27/08 3:15:05PM

Posted by MMAcca

Don't get me wrong, i'm excited to see this fight but will Bisping ever fight in the US, without 15-20,000 fans cheering him on ?

Dunno, but I guess that's up to Dana.

At the end of the day, putting the top MMA fighter in the UK in front of UK crown makes financial sense.
Ben_Hutch
6/27/08 3:32:44PM
This is supposed to be the main event

WAR BISPING!!!!
Red-Dragon
6/27/08 3:43:46PM
I hope Bisping starts getting some more respect once he puts Leben away. Or will people start making excuses for Leben and say Bisping needs to fight a top 5 to be given respect?

Either way this should be a great fight. I was hoping this one would still happen. Fingers crossed.
Leland
6/27/08 3:59:29PM
This is gonna be a war. Can't wait!!!

I wish London events were still free. I miss the old days

I see Leben finishing this one with a sloppy punch right on the chin. Leben has a very tough chin, and I can see Bisping hurting Leben, but I still see Leben landing one of those crazy punches and finishing it.
kaskd
6/27/08 4:13:57PM
I've always underestimated Leben, but this time it's gonna change. Leben by KO Rd 2 or 3. He has been looking real good lately and will catch Bisping sooner or later. Man am I excited for this fight. Hopefully not as a main event fight as they are both too low on the totem pole, but a great fight none the less.
Wolfenstein
6/27/08 7:58:04PM
This has got to be a co main event. No way you can make a match that was originally on the main card into your main event. Personally I'm kind of sick of them putting Bisping as a Headliner everytime they fight in England. Everytime I heard the UFC is going to England I automatically assume, "Hmmm wonder who Bisping is fighting."

Get another top fighter from the UK so it isn't always Bisping.

On another note..at first I was picking Leben at UFC 85. But Bisping lookes really good right now. I don't think Bisping can knock out the iron-chinned Leben but I think he can dominate him for three rounds. What I like about this matchup the most is that both fighters have a lot of heart, so I'm interested to see whose will breaks first.
CornishMMA
6/28/08 3:48:26PM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by Figsak

Call me crazy, but I think Leben is overrated as a striker. He may have power in his hands, but his strikes are slow and sloppy. He's the type of striker that IF you fight smart, and stay mobile, you can totally avoid his power.

I DO think he's very very tough. As I said in a previous post, he's the kind of fighter that can take an ass whoopin, and fight while half unconscious. It takes a fighter with stamina, heart, and smart striking, not pocket brawling to beat him. I think Bisping is that type of fighter.

I do think we're about to find out what kind of chin Bisping has though.

No dude you arent crazy, but I dont think Leben is that rated as a striker, i think everyone agrees his strikes are somewhat sloppy/sild but they are very effective cos look at all the guys he has stopped, Sakara is the closest example to Bisping and we him get KTFO so i can see the same happening again, or i can see Leben just getting popped for 3 rounds, its true a smart fighter using lots of movement can outwork Leben, its what Kalib did to some extent, if Starnes can do it then Bisping can!
Figsak
6/28/08 4:06:23PM
Have you noticed how different of a fighter Leben is now though Cornish?

He's slimmer, more methodical, less of a crazy brawler. I personally think this will HURT him. I think his major strength is his wreckless attacks, without these he may be setting himself up for alot of decision losses in the future. I could be wrong, but I just seen the crazy leave Leben's eyes in his last 2 fights. Granted compared to other fighters, Leben's crazy is a notch above anyways, but I miss the old "Im gonna kill you, then eat your face" look he always had at all times.

Pages: [1] 2