Michael Bisping vs. Charley McCarthy Set for UFC 83

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Michael Bisping vs. Charley McCarthy Set for UFC 83
tuvok500
2/1/08 3:24:34PM
link

“The Ultimate Fighter 2” winner Michael Bisping (14-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who last suffered a split-decision loss to Rashad Evans in the main event of UFC 78, will make his middleweight debut vs. Charles McCarthy (10-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at a UFC 83 event in Montreal.

I will see a count in person, do i have to wear a tie !! Well, hope he will go down for the COUNT !!

silverbullet
2/1/08 3:34:15PM
looking forward to seeing Bisping minus the beer gut
Boo_Radley21
2/1/08 3:43:26PM
I hope McCarthy takes this one. I can't stand Bisping.
juanez13
2/1/08 3:48:34PM
im not really excited about this fight, but is much better now that is on UFC 83 (canada) instead of being UFC 83(england) as the main event....
CornishMMA
2/1/08 3:56:33PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I hope McCarthy takes this one. I can't stand Bisping.

im just so happy instead of being a crappy main event its going to be an unseen prelim, it better be cos there are more exciting matchups on that card!

Chainsaw will be much improved, this guy was never a joke in the UFC so im not so sure why people think Bisping will destroy him? He has been training for a long time now and is coming off of a win which is unusual for a guy taking so long out, so i see him frustrating Bisping, wish he could sub him but i dunno yet
jrmmaclassics
2/1/08 3:58:05PM
I guess the englander is not a big draw anymore since his lose to evens, who is one of the most underrated guys in the UFC. Makes for a better card for 83 and I will actually pay to see it.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3
juanez13
2/1/08 4:32:13PM
here is a link to the video

LINK
DustinT
2/1/08 5:08:51PM
true, mccarthy isn't that bad....but i'd of been much happier if Silva matched him up with someone else.

so this isn't a main card event?
well that's good.
Boo_Radley21
2/1/08 5:23:07PM
Neither guy should be on a main card right now, especially with the other fights on this card.
CiaoBaby
2/1/08 5:31:09PM
So I guess Bisbing vs MacDonald is out then...Either way I think the count gets KO'ed!!!
CiaoBaby
2/1/08 5:34:24PM
I know this has nothing to do with Bisbing or McCarthy at all, or even the UFC...But little Nog is fighting tonight!? This is his first fight back since Sok. You would think it would have been a little better advertised!!!
Aaronno9
2/1/08 5:39:16PM
Mike will knock mcarthy out in the 1st round imo. I think the disadvantage mike might of had with this being his first fight moving down is kinda evened out by the fact mcarthey hasnt faught in over a year. Its abit of a loose loose fight for the count, becouse if he wins, everybody will be saying mcarthey was a bum and it doesnt prove anything, but if he looses, well i dont even want to think about how many hundred threads will be started so everybody can say how they hate bisping and how over rated he is. Its kinda getting old now, i wish people would just get off the guys back.
prozacnation1978
2/1/08 5:48:58PM
crappy fight and it's sad cause we will pay to watch this on the main card, bisping is the most overated fighter in the ufc. 4-1 record against shafer, elvis, lost to evans should have lost to hamill, beat josh now mccarthy sad that the ufc still needs to promote the dude,
NWninja
2/1/08 6:15:31PM
sorry but ever since the bisping-hammil fight i hate the guy. i hope chainsaw knocks him out
jgordon85
2/1/08 9:57:15PM
i think both of these guys got a lot to prove. McCarthy looked like trash on the comeback season close to everyone looked bad on that season i think but McCarthy looked terrible. Bisping is a little more well-rounded but after the hamill fight, i lost respect for him. and the rashad fight they bothed needed to do more. but he was a small light heavy so it was smart for him to move down. i am taking bisping by decison. i think they should of picked a more difficult fight for him.
Kpro
2/2/08 1:02:36AM
I understand why many fight fans in the US dislike Bisping, especially after his post-fight interview after the Hamil fight.

But I've noticed recently a few fans from the UK wanting McCarthy to win.

I guess it's a bit of a surprise to me; almost like a Canadian fan wanting a low level WW to beat GSP.

Has Bisping's popularity taken a real hit there or has there always been a solid chunk of fans in the UK who don't like him ?
MMAcca
2/2/08 2:00:52AM
I can't see Dana & Co putting one of their poster boys on the undercard just because he lost to one of the top guys in the LHW division.
moob
2/2/08 9:49:42AM

Posted by Kpro

I understand why many fight fans in the US dislike Bisping, especially after his post-fight interview after the Hamil fight.

I guess it's a bit of a surprise to me; almost like a Canadian fan wanting a low level WW to beat GSP.

Has Bisping's popularity taken a real hit there or has there always been a solid chunk of fans in the UK who don't like him ?

Do you? I don't.

I really, really can't understand why people crap on a fighter simply because he won a controversial decision - it's not the first time this has happened in MMA. There are other reasons why US fans dislike Bisping, and it's not to do with this supposed disrespect he had for Hamill - it's called overt nationalism.

I really don't know many UK MMA fans who don't support Bisping, one notable exception being that muppet in your fight camp, who jumps upon every thread related to this fighter and does nothing but dog the guy - without substantial reason, other than his need to make friends across the pond and carry the majority of opinion on this forum.

So the bottom line is this: there is not a solid chunk of fans who don't like Bisping. I met him at UFC80, and the guy couldn't be any more 'fan-friendly' - he spent an age getting pictures taken, signing autographs, and talking to the fans - something that not many UFC fighters take the time to do.

The laughable thing on here, is that so many still come out saying Bisping lost to Hamill - look at the result - not your interpretation.

Edit: My apologies. I note you've now got rid of the fool.
Aaronno9
2/2/08 10:07:02AM

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Do you? I don't.

I really, really can't understand why people crap on a fighter simply because he won a controversial decision - it's not the first time this has happened in MMA. There are other reasons why US fans dislike Bisping, and it's not to do with this supposed disrespect he had for Hamill - it's called overt nationalism.

I really don't know many UK MMA fans who don't support Bisping, one notable exception being that muppet in your fight camp, who jumps upon every thread related to this fighter and does nothing but dog the guy - without substantial reason, other than his need to make friends across the pond and carry the majority of opinion on this forum.

So the bottom line is this: there is not a solid chunk of fans who don't like Bisping. I met him at UFC80, and the guy couldn't be any more 'fan-friendly' - he spent an age getting pictures taken, signing autographs, and talking to the fans - something that not many UFC fighters take the time to do.

The laughable thing on here, is that so many still come out saying Bisping lost to Hamill - look at the result - not your interpretation.

I tried to give you props but ive gotta spread the love.
Kpro
2/2/08 11:03:50AM

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Do you? I don't.

As I said; which you apparently completely missed, it is because of the interview not the decision.

But thank you for turning a simple question about if there are many UK fans who don't support Bisping into a longwinded rant about the decision of the Bisping/Hamil fight and the opportunity to bash someone who used to be in the fightcamp I belong to.
moob
2/2/08 11:23:34AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Do you? I don't.

As I said; which you apparently completely missed, it is because of the interview not the decision.

But thank you for turning a simple question about if there are many UK fans who don't support Bisping into a longwinded rant about the decision of the Bisping/Hamil fight and the opportunity to bash someone who used to be in the fightcamp I belong to.

If you read my post properly, paying it some attention, you'd realise that I've alluded to the Bisping's interview. Many fighters 'dis' each other both pre and post fight - it's hardly ground-breaking. Fundamentally, US fans dislike Bisping mainly for the decision, fact.:

and it's not to do with this supposed disrespect he had for Hamill

The rest of my post also addresses your opinion that UK fans are not all behind the fighter, giving a specific example of Cornish, who used to be in your camp, who is from England...and who is clearly an exception to the rule as far as UK MMA fans go regards their collective opinion on Bisping.
Kpro
2/2/08 12:06:24PM

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Do you? I don't.

If you read my post properly, paying it some attention, you'd realise that I've alluded to the Bisping's interview. Many fighters 'dis' each other both pre and post fight - it's hardly ground-breaking. Fundamentally, US fans dislike Bisping mainly for the decision, fact.:

The rest of my post also addresses your opinion that UK fans are not all behind the fighter, giving a specific example of Cornish, who used to be in your camp, who is from England...and who is clearly an exception to the rule as far as UK MMA fans go regards their collective opinion on Bisping.

I read your post just fine. "I really, really can't understand why people crap on a fighter simply because he won a controversial decision" is not fact. His attitude in the post fight interview was the determining factor for many fans.

The question I posed is solely about Bisping's popularity in the UK. Your choice to make this about US fans and their "overt nationalism" suggests that you simply just dislike US fans and are wearing your own personal tinted blinders and looking for opportunities to bring your opinions to the forefront of threads you contribute to, even if these opinions are completely off topic.

I've read your last 10 posts, and half of them are on Bisping-related topics, as you are obviously a big Bisping fan, which is great.

But to have your attitude towards anyone who doesn't like your favorite fighter and to label any American fans who dislike Bisping as being "overt nationalism" or angry at the decision is incorrect.

You have already answered the question that you think someone who I don't know, who may have been in my fight camp, is the exception to the rule.

But to change a topic from Bispings popularity in the UK to taking about US fans crapping on him because of overt nationalism is off topic and uncalled for in the context of this thread.
moob
2/2/08 12:23:41PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Do you? I don't.

I read your post just fine. "I really, really can't understand why people crap on a fighter simply because he won a controversial decision" is not fact. His attitude in the post fight interview was the determining factor for many fans.

The question I posed is solely about Bisping's popularity in the UK. Your choice to make this about US fans and their "overt nationalism" suggests that you simply just dislike US fans and are wearing your own personal tinted blinders and looking for opportunities to bring your opinions to the forefront of threads you contribute to, even if these opinions are completely off topic.

I've read your last 10 posts, and half of them are on Bisping-related topics, as you are obviously a big Bisping fan, which is great.

But to have your attitude towards anyone who doesn't like your favorite fighter and to label any American fans who dislike Bisping as being "overt nationalism" or angry at the decision is incorrect.

You have already answered the question that you think someone who I don't know, who may have been in my fight camp, is the exception to the rule.

But to change a topic from Bispings popularity in the UK to taking about US fans crapping on him because of overt nationalism is off topic and uncalled for in the context of this thread.

1/ How do you know what the most determining factor is for fans' dislike of Bisping? Have you conducted a survey? I don't think so, therefore this a moot point.

2/ I don't have any specific regard or disregard for US fans, merely a significant number of them who perceive the events to be useful for a soapbox to display nationalism. I believe this nationalism is relevant with regard to any foreign fighter. See UFC 58 for an excellent example of this.

3/ Bisping is not my favourite fighter. I hold him in high regard however, as I know several people from his fight camp personally, therefore he gets my unconditional support.

4/ Bisping gets bashed a lot on these forums, therefore I feel someone has to stand up for the guy, for my reasons, see 3.

5/ The topic of support or otherwise for Bisping is central to this thread, as it appears to be in the majority of threads about the fighter. My opinion on a distinctly large volume of certain fans' reasons for disliking him, is formulated from my theories described above - it is therefore not off-topic - in my opinion. Opinions are what forums are for expressing.

6/ I'd be interested in your qualifying your statement about 'a few fans from the UK wanting McCarthy to win'
Gipper
2/2/08 2:33:04PM
ufc mw div is looking pretty damn good these days. hendo, bisping, tanner, almeida in the mix.

like him or hate him...bisping is a threat for the belt at mw. he's a bit cocky but a damn exciting fighter.
Red-Dragon
2/2/08 4:41:48PM
Bisping is by no means my fav fighter but I am getting more an more behind him each time I read about how everyone wants him to get KO'd.

And yes, I am behind him because he is English and I do get wound up because of my national pride. It always seems to be the Americans doing the Bisping Bashing and that is something so evident on these forums.

The fact is that UFC is an American brand and I feel that although most MMA fans want the sport to grow and branch out to all nations, there are some who feel a little jealous that there may be a chance that someone from another nation could be better at this sport than ther own countrymen. So they bash him as soon as there is any sign of potential. You did NOT invent this sport and this is one thing you can't dominate by being bullies, so hang back and enjoy watching Bisping smash the f*ck out of the Yanks in the MW division.

Just like I will be.

RULE BRITANIA

Pride-Fighter
2/2/08 6:06:17PM
I hope Chainsaw batters Bisping to a pulp.

WAR CHARLES MCCARTHY

PS its an Irish name, another reason to support him
RampageOwnedYou
2/2/08 7:26:24PM
This fight is in the WHO CARES section.
Its going to be a snoozefest.

Bisping by Decision
CornishMMA
2/15/08 2:03:35PM

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Do you? I don't.

LOL at this thread - i only just read it, Hmmmm seems like rule breaking yet again from you guys, just get over it, or can i call you a buffoon and a silly fool? And fyi i left the camp myself the only thing they would of got rid of is #2 in picks! lol BUT NOW BACK ON PROPER TOPIC (that you steered badly off yourself!)

Just because im English does not mean im hanging off Bispings nuts like most people are, ive had to hear people say stuff like Bisping will be the champ and can be a contender, that was at 205!!! I bet they really think he will beat Anderson Sila soon! All my feelings about Bisping are from GSPlike "not being impressed by his performance" ....................... against Schafer nearly getting subbed, then Elvis nearly getting KO'd then nearly subbed! Losing a clear 29-28 decision to Hamill and then the same to Rashad!

I wanted him to win TUF and thought he was alright, but seeing him struggle to put Haynes away and fail to KO him when he is supposed to have this KO power (and fighting a guy whos chin is on a plate while his arms flail!) did not make me think he was that great, and i didnt hate on his arrogance straight away like some people did but the way he acted when he LOST to Hamill was embarrasing, saying "back to wrestling" after getting a split gift decision is just terrible

I would like to see Chainsaw humble Bisping, if he acts like more of a man - like a randy or chuck - and not act so arrogant and deluded then i will support him again and want him to win, but i like a guy like Chainsaw who never did that bad in the UFC and has been out training alot, so in this case i want him to win, but if Bisping beats him and fights a Terry Martin (who i know hate due to wagers/picks!) then i will want to win

I dont hate Bisping, but i dont go crazy about him just cos he is english, its funny that moob said nationality was stopping yanks liking him when its as clear as day to me that he wouldnt be talking up Bisping if he was the exact same fighter and person - but from another country, seriously dude you guys laughed when i said he would struggle with Elvis - and he did! And you laughed more when i said Hamill would beat - well guess what HE DID! Get over your little childish vendetta and stop calling me your stupid child program based insults
moob
2/15/08 3:27:35PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Posted by moob

Posted by Kpro

Do you? I don't.

LOL at this thread - i only just read it, Hmmmm seems like rule breaking yet again from you guys, just get over it, or can i call you a buffoon and a silly fool? And fyi i left the camp myself the only thing they would of got rid of is #2 in picks! lol BUT NOW BACK ON PROPER TOPIC (that you steered badly off yourself!)

Just because im English does not mean im hanging off Bispings nuts like most people are, ive had to hear people say stuff like Bisping will be the champ and can be a contender, that was at 205!!! I bet they really think he will beat Anderson Sila soon! All my feelings about Bisping are from GSPlike "not being impressed by his performance" ....................... against Schafer nearly getting subbed, then Elvis nearly getting KO'd then nearly subbed! Losing a clear 29-28 decision to Hamill and then the same to Rashad!

I wanted him to win TUF and thought he was alright, but seeing him struggle to put Haynes away and fail to KO him when he is supposed to have this KO power (and fighting a guy whos chin is on a plate while his arms flail!) did not make me think he was that great, and i didnt hate on his arrogance straight away like some people did but the way he acted when he LOST to Hamill was embarrasing, saying "back to wrestling" after getting a split gift decision is just terrible

I would like to see Chainsaw humble Bisping, if he acts like more of a man - like a randy or chuck - and not act so arrogant and deluded then i will support him again and want him to win, but i like a guy like Chainsaw who never did that bad in the UFC and has been out training alot, so in this case i want him to win, but if Bisping beats him and fights a Terry Martin (who i know hate due to wagers/picks!) then i will want to win

I dont hate Bisping, but i dont go crazy about him just cos he is english, its funny that moob said nationality was stopping yanks liking him when its as clear as day to me that he wouldnt be talking up Bisping if he was the exact same fighter and person - but from another country, seriously dude you guys laughed when i said he would struggle with Elvis - and he did! And you laughed more when i said Hamill would beat - well guess what HE DID! Get over your little childish vendetta and stop calling me your stupid child program based insults

LOL at you for getting banned for having homoerotic pictures in your links for stealing bandwidth.

LOL at you full stop.