TOP 10 Metal/hardcore albums since the 80's began

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » TOP 10 Metal/hardcore albums since the 80's began
« Previous Page
gartface
7/9/09 4:34:46PM
This is in no particular order, just how they came to mind.

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Refused - Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Zao - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest
In Flames - Colony
In Flames - Clayman
Mastodon - Leviathan
Mastodon - Remission
Darkest Hour - Mark of the Judas
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin
Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning
Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence
Earth Crisis - Destroy the Machines
Poison the Well - The Opposite of December
Unearth - The Oncoming Storm
Hatebreed - Satisfaction is the Death of Desire
Hopesfall - The Frailty of Words
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Coheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow
Shai Hulud - A Profound Hatred of Man

You also have to take into account I was born in 1987. This is the stuff I've been listening to starting in like 7th grade.
hippysmacker
7/9/09 4:51:41PM

Posted by mikevolz

im not gonna go rip too hard into your music taste, because people are more defensive about that than their kids being ugly.

but in no way should reinventing the steel be ranked higher than the great southern trendkill.

Too each his own bro
DJDark41
7/9/09 5:37:20PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by mikevolz

im not gonna go rip too hard into your music taste, because people are more defensive about that than their kids being ugly.

but in no way should reinventing the steel be ranked higher than the great southern trendkill.

Too each his own bro

I dunno, I kinda feel like Pantera is a topic that shouldn't be up for debate. Without a doubt, CFH is number 1 on the list. But for me, Pantera goes like this.

1. Cowboys From Hell
2. Vulgar Display of Power
3. The Great Southern Trendkill
4. Reinventing The Steel
5. Far Beyond Driven
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/9/09 5:41:28PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by mikevolz

Too each his own bro

I dunno, I kinda feel like Pantera is a topic that shouldn't be up for debate. Without a doubt, CFH is number 1 on the list. But for me, Pantera goes like this.

1. Cowboys From Hell
4. Reinventing The Steel
5. Far Beyond Driven

I do have CFH very high on my list (#2 actually) and i agree for the most part with you on this top 5, i'd just switch #5 and #3 around
hippysmacker
7/9/09 8:34:55PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by mikevolz

Too each his own bro

1. Cowboys From Hell
4. Reinventing The Steel
5. Far Beyond Driven

Obviously we have different views on this.I have them ranked

1. Far beyond driven
2. Vulgar display of power
3. reinventing the steel
4. Cowboys from hell
5. The great southern trendkill

I still think they are all great, but in the need it comes down to songs that stick with me the most.Less songs on TGSK and CFH are just in my all time inventory, than on the other albums in comparison. One of my oldest friends 3 favorite sings on TGST are suicide not part 1&2 and The great southern trendkill. Mine are War Nerve , drag the waters, and Floods .While I agree the songs on the top of his list are all great songs, both suicide notes are in the bottom half of the album to me. Still, even though we disagree on the minutiae, we both agree Pantera was Epic.

DJDark41
7/10/09 12:58:13PM

Posted by hippysmacker

1. Far beyond driven
3. reinventing the steel
4. Cowboys from hell

I still think they are all great, but in the need it comes down to songs that stick with me the most.Less songs on TGSK and CFH are just in my all time inventory, than on the other albums in comparison. One of my oldest friends 3 favorite sings on TGST are suicide not part 1&2 and The great southern trendkill. Mine are War Nerve , drag the waters, and Floods .While I agree the songs on the top of his list are all great songs, both suicide notes are in the bottom half of the album to me. Still, even though we disagree on the minutiae, we both agree Pantera was Epic.

Yeah, I might just be biased because Cowboys From Hell was what got me into metal to begin with. Domination, Cowboys from Hell, Cemetery Gates, Primal Concrete Sledge, Psycho Holiday, Heresy and The Art Of Shredding, all ridiculously good songs.

BTW, any Pantera fans heard the Cemetery Gates cover by Between The Buried And Me? Its pretty good.
breakdown5
7/10/09 1:14:28PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by hippysmacker

1. Far beyond driven
3. reinventing the steel
4. Cowboys from hell

Yeah, I might just be biased because Cowboys From Hell was what got me into metal to begin with. Domination, Cowboys from Hell, Cemetery Gates, Primal Concrete Sledge, Psycho Holiday, Heresy and The Art Of Shredding, all ridiculously good songs.

BTW, any Pantera fans heard the Cemetery Gates cover by Between The Buried And Me? Its pretty good.

I have the album its on. Good stuff.

Joemoplata
7/10/09 5:34:06PM

Posted by breakdown5

All right, I think I've organized my thoughts enough to sorta throw a list together.
I'll try to represent both metal and hardcore. Its way to hard to number them, but when I think of my favorite metal albums, these are it....

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
deftones - Adrenaline
Unearth - The Oncoming Storm
Candiria - Surrealistic Madness
The Acacia Strain - The Dead Walk
Section 8 - Nine Ways to Say I Love You
Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence
Heal These Wounds - Ambitions
Hatebreed - Satisfaction is the Death of Desire
Skinless - Progression Towards Evil
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Fear Factory - Soul of a New Machine
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Helmet - Strap It On
Lamb of God - New American Gospel
HORSE the Band - The Mechanical Hand
Chimaira - The Impossibility of Reason
Vision of Disorder - Self titled
Cutthroat - Hatebreedsrage

There are some really influential albums that came out in the '80s, but these are my favs that I've actually had to replace the CDs on some of them from too much use/wear and tear over the years.

This list I like. Although personally I go with "As the Palaces Burn" and then "Ashes of the Wake" for LOG.

Lamb of Gofd is definitely my personal favorite band right now.
Joemoplata
7/10/09 5:37:07PM

Posted by mikevolz

Ouch, that statement actually hurt my soul.

"The Great Southern Trendkill" is EASILY Pantera's WORST piece of work. This would be a universally accepted notion. Reinventing the Steel was a critically acclaimed album as well.

It would seem you stand somewhat alone on this notion.
DJDark41
7/10/09 6:58:51PM

Posted by Joemoplata

Posted by mikevolz

Ouch, that statement actually hurt my soul.

"The Great Southern Trendkill" is EASILY Pantera's WORST piece of work. This would be a universally accepted notion. Reinventing the Steel was a critically acclaimed album as well.

It would seem you stand somewhat alone on this notion.

I don't think "worst" is a good word. The Great Southern Trendkill is a very down to earth, straight forward, brutally honest album. And even if every album was better, TGSTK has A LOT of good songs. Floods, Drag The Waters, Suicide Note Pt. 1/2, The Great Southern Trendkill, 10's. Reinventing The Steel is a very good album too, but personally, the only ones that really stick to me are Yesterday Don't Mean Sh*t, Revolution Is My Name, and I'll Cast A Shadow.
hippysmacker
7/10/09 11:41:23PM
I will add uplift and GD electric as tracks I think are also epic on RTS. I personally don't care what some may think is popularly accepted, or if someones opinion agrees with mine. I think most professional critics are pretentious elitist who's personal opinions actually mean little. I like what i like. I see no reason why anyone would be irked by someone else simply disagreeing on personal taste, but it does happen a lot. This thread hasn't gone too far that way yet. So lets all just stay cool ya'll. No need for anyone to ruin it.Everybody is free to like what they like.
Pages: 1 [2]