Metabolism Help

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Metabolism Help
yeahfx
1/12/08 3:01:57PM
Hi, i've been training in MT/bjj for about a year and a half.
I am 19, 140-145lbs, around 5'11. I am pretty strong but I am very lean.
I'm training to fight in muaythai and eventually looking to join the police force so I am in desperate need of gaining weight.
I find it VERY difficult to gain weight due to high metabolism.
I was wondering if any of you had any solutions to this other than just telling me to eat more protein.
Is there any other kinds of supplements I should be aware of other than protein and creatine?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
AchillesHeel
1/12/08 5:11:29PM
I'm not sure it's a great way to train, but just in terms of gaining weight, you could stop eating breakfast, if you haven't already. People trying to lose weight often make the mistake of cutting breakfast from their diet, but it actually helps to get your metabolism fired up to burn calories more efficiently throughout the day. I imagine the reverse would be true (I've heard that Sumo wrestlers cut breakfast as part of their training, but I don't know if that's really true or not).
StevenSeagal
1/12/08 9:44:51PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I'm not sure it's a great way to train, but just in terms of gaining weight, you could stop eating breakfast, if you haven't already. People trying to lose weight often make the mistake of cutting breakfast from their diet, but it actually helps to get your metabolism fired up to burn calories more efficiently throughout the day. I imagine the reverse would be true (I've heard that Sumo wrestlers cut breakfast as part of their training, but I don't know if that's really true or not).

Not the best advice man. Please continue to eat breakfast. Cutting even more calories is going to make your situation worse. Its not an easy task for someone that is super lean to put on pounds. The situation gets even harder if ur doing cardio intense martial art training. If you weight lift, focus on heavy compound movements, not high rep cardio inspired beach workouts. Proper post workout nutrition is needed after any strenuous activity, whether it be weights or hardcore MT/BJJ sessions. From my own experience with BJJ, id leave after like 2 hours of rolling 3-4 times a week and the weight def comes off quickly. Bottom line is bump up ur total cals. Without knowing what and how much u eat, ill tell u to eat cleanly and eat a lot. You cant afford to skip meals. Other than that make sure ur not over training. I remember wanting to hit BJJ class up like 4 times a week, do weights and the cardio... It can be too much for some. Get yourself a nice weight gainer and have it regularly. Stressing post workouts.
yeahfx
1/12/08 11:43:00PM
Sounds good man thanks.
Yes, my MT is very high intense cardio and I do run alot so that may be a big problem?
Any recommendations on the weight gainer?

StevenSeagal
1/13/08 11:14:35AM
Any weight gainer will do really. Just take a look at the nutrition info and make sure ur getting the most for your money. Make sure u drink em after any of your workouts, as well as throughout the day. the more protein the better
Rush
1/13/08 11:30:35AM
I wouldn't worry about slowing your metabolism down. Getting older will take care of that.

It's not unusual for young people to be generally lighter. If you look at the average height and weight for a hockey player (rookie) vs. that of someone playing for 5-10 years, there's a significant difference.

I 'm not a proponent of eating lots of supplements. I believe in eating real food. Having some protein powder and multi vitamins to supplement your diet is fine, but I don't believe in replacing meals with them.

The bottom line is, that this is you body type. It will be very difficult to change it by putting on pure muscle and you might just end up getting chunky, which will slow you down. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep making sure you are healthy, strong and fast.

On an anecdotal side, I have a close friend. In high school he was about your size and I was a little taller and weighed about 180lbs. Now (over ten years later), I am a lot stronger and faster and weigh only 163 lbs. He weighs over 180 lbs now and is chunky.
Rush
1/13/08 11:32:48AM

Posted by yeahfx

I do run alot so that may be a big problem?

Running will make you more lean. When I was training for my marathon I dropped an additional 5-10 lbs. (my friend dropped 20 lbs). After I ran my race, I gained about 4 of that back in a couple weeks.
Vietnamese_Guy
1/13/08 12:42:46PM
see i have the opposite problem
StevenSeagal
1/13/08 7:45:52PM

Posted by Rush

I wouldn't worry about slowing your metabolism down. Getting older will take care of that.

It's not unusual for young people to be generally lighter. If you look at the average height and weight for a hockey player (rookie) vs. that of someone playing for 5-10 years, there's a significant difference.

I 'm not a proponent of eating lots of supplements. I believe in eating real food. Having some protein powder and multi vitamins to supplement your diet is fine, but I don't believe in replacing meals with them.

The bottom line is, that this is you body type. It will be very difficult to change it by putting on pure muscle and you might just end up getting chunky, which will slow you down. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep making sure you are healthy, strong and fast.

On an anecdotal side, I have a close friend. In high school he was about your size and I was a little taller and weighed about 180lbs. Now (over ten years later), I am a lot stronger and faster and weigh only 163 lbs. He weighs over 180 lbs now and is chunky.

Yeah if hes looking to gain, id def not exchange the weightgainer for real food. It should be in addition. The whole getting chunky and fat wont happen. He is already having probs putting on weight as it is. He needs to crawl before he walks. There will be plenty of time to adjust calorie spread to avoid any possible chunk that may come. With his training and if he eats a lot of clean foods, chunk will not be an issue. do this when ur 40 years old then we'll talk chunk. Basically it just comes down to eating. Make a conscious effort to get the food down and get the shakes down. Keeping in mind the proper post workout nutrition of carbs and pro after u train and call it a day.
jomatty
1/13/08 8:45:52PM
if we could meld my body type and yours we would both be happy...i have no problem putting or keeping on weight lol
Rush
1/13/08 11:42:01PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

Yeah if hes looking to gain, id def not exchange the weightgainer for real food. It should be in addition. The whole getting chunky and fat wont happen. He is already having probs putting on weight as it is. He needs to crawl before he walks. There will be plenty of time to adjust calorie spread to avoid any possible chunk that may come. With his training and if he eats a lot of clean foods, chunk will not be an issue. do this when ur 40 years old then we'll talk chunk. Basically it just comes down to eating. Make a conscious effort to get the food down and get the shakes down. Keeping in mind the proper post workout nutrition of carbs and pro after u train and call it a day.

I still don't think it's something he needs to be concerned with (gaining weight)
cmill21
1/14/08 12:45:08AM
Thread Jack.

What police force are you joining?
StevenSeagal
1/14/08 8:31:56AM

Posted by yeahfx

Hi, i've been training in MT/bjj for about a year and a half.
I am 19, 140-145lbs, around 5'11. I am pretty strong but I am very lean.
I'm training to fight in muaythai and eventually looking to join the police force so I am in desperate need of gaining weight.
I find it VERY difficult to gain weight due to high metabolism.
I was wondering if any of you had any solutions to this other than just telling me to eat more protein.
Is there any other kinds of supplements I should be aware of other than protein and creatine?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Im only addressing what his question was... He asked, I told... He stresses how hard it is for him to gain weight. So there it is I find it VERY difficult to gain weight due to high metabolism.
bayonetxwork
1/14/08 5:21:12PM
My friend was in the same exact situation about a year ago, but was looking to put on muscle for strength rather than for a fighters physique.

He weighed in at about 145, and after a year of hard work, hes at a stead 180 of pure muscle. Its all about the calories. Get same mass gainer at your GNC, take that about 3 times a day. He even went to the extent of taking l-arginine, taurine, glutamine, as well as some other amino acids. Creatine in you're post workout shake. And NOX before workout to get extra pump.

I'm not sure if thats what you're looking for, I personally wouldn't want to get that far out of the realm of real food, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do.
lance70301
1/15/08 7:10:25PM
Try drinking a weightgainer before you go to sleep. Your metabolism slows while you sleep, so you won't burn as much of it off. Also cut back on your running. Running is a weighgainers' enemy. Hope this helps !
yeahfx
1/26/08 1:27:09AM
Not sure, i'm in east Canada right now so possibly RCMP or maybe I will move to Ontario for OPP.

And yes, I am trying to gain weight as well as maintaining a fighter physique, I want to be at least a solid 155-160 for now for my fighting, but later on 2-3 years down the road I want to sort of get rid of my leanness put on more weight to be bigger for police work.

Is this reasonable?
KeNn
1/26/08 11:06:12AM
lol be a small police man, go around throwing knee's and bows at criminals.

OR just take out your gun when they talk back.
yeahfx
1/27/08 4:59:26PM
Hahhaha. Shit that'd be tough
CactusBob
1/30/08 12:29:53PM
What do you eat in a typical day? Perhaps adding more food is not an option, and perhaps it is.
Juggernaut97
2/2/08 12:21:22PM
i have the same problem you are having, i am 20 years old and about 6' though and 150 lbs. and i have been trying to bump up to about 160 or 165 and it just seems like my body does not want to add on more weight, but i have noticed that taking muscle milk will help some, thats how i made it from 140 to 150....A LOT of muscle milk
yeahfx
2/2/08 12:43:37PM
Definitely is. I just need a strict meal plan.. otherwise I probably won't just 'eat more'.