Met Gary Goodridge today. Got to talk 1 on 1

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Met Gary Goodridge today. Got to talk 1 on 1
RampageOwnedYou
1/5/09 5:34:29PM
I heard of Gary opening a new gym in my city.
I decided to go in, and actually see if he was working today. Which he was.

Gary is a cool dude, and seems like a very down to earth guy, who enjoys talking MMA aside from the ring. Seems like the gym was a little too quiet for him, but im sure in due time he will pick it up and make some good coin.

So im curious to know, anyone meet anyone in MMA? Not including photo shoots or autograph signings.
SOMEONE you met one on one.
bobbydoomocculta
1/5/09 9:18:39PM
very cool story... very...
I've always been a fan of Big Daddy...

I was working in liverpool one day, reading the gas meters... I ended up reading the meter next door to Elvis Sinosic and Anthony Perosh's gym... But they weren't open so I didn't meet shit...

I live around the corner I should stop in some time...
ohiostate1016
1/5/09 9:47:52PM
I live in Columbus, OH, which is the home of Mark Coleman's Hammer House. I've met Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, and Kevin Randleman personally. All really good dudes, and I'm really rooting for Coleman against Shogun.
RampageOwnedYou
1/5/09 9:51:47PM

I live in Columbus, OH, which is the home of Mark Coleman's Hammer House. I've met Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, and Kevin Randleman personally. All really good dudes, and I'm really rooting for Coleman against Shogun.
Same here.
I like Randleman alot, thats cool you got to meet him. You ask him anything?.
EvenFlow
1/5/09 9:52:39PM
Did you ask him why he didnt throw one strike against Pat Barry

jk Gary your a cool dude
ohiostate1016
1/5/09 10:07:44PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Same here.
I like Randleman alot, thats cool you got to meet him. You ask him anything?.

Yeah..the one thing that I really wanted to know was how could he get subbed after slamming Fedor. After laughing, he said, "Uh...cause he's Fedor."

Good enough for me.
cmill21
1/5/09 10:25:51PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Yeah..the one thing that I really wanted to know was how could he get subbed after slamming Fedor. After laughing, he said, "Uh...cause he's Fedor."

Good enough for me.

I've always liked Randleman, things like that are the reason.
telnights
1/6/09 3:34:53AM
I have met a ton of fighters at local events back stage due to the fact I train a lot of local fighters and they bring in big name MMA fighters to promote the shows. Its nice because I get a chance to see what type of person the guys really are. Nicest I have met would have to be Wandy, GSP, and Joe Stevenson. Rudest I have met would have to be Hoyce Gracie, Matt Serra, and Rashad.
cmill21
1/6/09 3:44:07AM

Posted by telnights

Hoyce Gracie, Matt Serra, and Rashad.

Details on why, I like hearing those stories.
Wallass
1/6/09 9:00:44AM
I know you said outside of autograph signings but I met GSP about a year ago. He was booked to sign autographs from 10-12 and there were 200 people ( you had to pay I think 10 for one of the 200 spots). GSP showed up at 10:30, late but stayed till 2:30 signing and talking with people. Not just signing autographs but actually talking to people. Very cool, humble and classy guy which is awesome as sometimes when you get the opportunity to meet someone you like, they turn out to be a jerk. GSP was far from it. He took like 8 pictures with me as the camera kept ******* up and even gave me one where we are having a staredown. He even signed it "I`ll kick you ass in a couple years!" Just wanted to post this as it pisses me off that a few of you guys have met fighter that turn out to be pricks. GSP is anything but.
cowcatcher
1/6/09 9:31:51AM

Posted by Wallass

I know you said outside of autograph signings but I met GSP about a year ago. He was booked to sign autographs from 10-12 and there were 200 people ( you had to pay I think 10 for one of the 200 spots). GSP showed up at 10:30, late but stayed till 2:30 signing and talking with people. Not just signing autographs but actually talking to people. Very cool, humble and classy guy which is awesome as sometimes when you get the opportunity to meet someone you like, they turn out to be a jerk. GSP was far from it. He took like 8 pictures with me as the camera kept ******* up and even gave me one where we are having a staredown. He even signed it "I`ll kick you ass in a couple years!" Just wanted to post this as it pisses me off that a few of you guys have met fighter that turn out to be pricks. GSP is anything but.

this doesnt surprise me at all, outside of the "im not impressed by your performance" crack i have never heard him say anything that wasnt classy or led me to believe he was a jerk.

eric schafer is one of the funniest guys ive ever met. very humble, down to earth guy that makes fun of himself for being a ginger and not being a great stand up fighter all the time. duke roufus is just a cool guy too, one of those guys that other guys want to hang out with. charismatic, knows everyone in his hometown, and once again very humble, it must be a midwest thing.
JWest12
1/6/09 7:33:57PM
I know he hasn't fought in a little while, since UFC 57 I think but Tom Murphy, from TUF 2 has a gym like 20 minutes away from me, in St. Albans, Vermont. I have seen him there and he came to one of my wrestling practices last year to help us out. He's a real nice guy. I also met GSP at Murphy's gym. GSP visited and did a seminar for like 50 people but I didn't know about it. Me and two of my friends went to see him after and we were the only other people to show up to get pictures and autograph with him. I got to talk to him for alittle bit, it was cool seems how he's my favorite fighter and he was in a little town in Vermont.
Jackelope
1/6/09 7:41:36PM
I've met quite a few popular fighters

I won't mention the rude ones because honestly I tend to give famous people the benefit of the doubt in those situations. The coolest I've met are Rich Franklin, Randy Couture, Jamie Varner, Aaron Simpson, Ryan Bader, Houston Alexander, and even though he's not a pro fighter Jay Glazer. All these guys were sincerely very nice people who seemed like they were having a good time talking to fans.

Edit: Also, if you get to talk to Big Daddy again tell him thanks for all he's done for the sport. He's a true pioneer that doesn't get as much credit as he deserves IMO. Dude is the fricken man
jiujitsufreak74
1/6/09 7:46:31PM
Houston Alexander was the nicest fighter that i met. he was so genuine and took the time to get to know each fan. it even got to the point where his manager told him to speed things up lol.

Arlovski was very cold, but i'll chalk that up to him being from Belarus . also, Matt Serra is a stereotypical guido who is the epitome of the generic Italian Long Islander.
telnights
1/6/09 7:49:25PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Will send in PM that way doesn't come off as fighter bashing...
Kpro
1/6/09 7:49:57PM
I've talked 1 on 1 with Matyushenko, Schoenauer, and Maurice Smith. Mo and Schoenauer were very personable, fun to BS with; Mo tried to recruit me for his gym in Seatle, but I quickly let him know my 7 days per week drinking interfere with more than 1-2 workouts a week. A liver kick could possibly end my life.. Vlad was very quiet and shy. I don't think he likes the spotlight too much.

It's good to see gyms opening up all around wih how many younger people are wanting to train in the sport.
cowcatcher
1/6/09 9:42:45PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Matt Serra is a stereotypical guido who is the epitome of the generic Italian Long Islander.

he sounds like someone else i know......

<coughjjfreakcough>
j/k man
jiujitsufreak74
1/6/09 9:47:17PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Matt Serra is a stereotypical guido who is the epitome of the generic Italian Long Islander.

he sounds like someone else i know......

<coughjjfreakcough>
j/k man

just because i have an accent...
Jackelope
1/6/09 9:47:25PM

Houston Alexander was the nicest fighter that i met. he was so genuine and took the time to get to know each fan. it even got to the point where his manager told him to speed things up lol.

Exactly. Say what you will about his fighting skills, but Houston Alexander is THE MAN. One of the very coolest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He takes more time out for fans than any other MMA fighter I can think of. Honestly. Plus, I gotta give him mad props for seeing how short he is in person and then imagining him lining up against 6'3 and 6'4 LHW's

Gotta spread the love, though
cmill21
1/6/09 11:02:25PM
Michael McDonald is one guy I have met who is very nice, most probably don't know him but he's the one guy to acctually TKO Cro Cop in K-1, so I didn't like him very much at first lol, but I watched him train for a bit and he is so fast and strong, if he was bigger he would have won a WGP IMHO. I also saw Alek E when he was up here but I don't think he knows much english so he didn't really talk to anyone.

EDIT: Forgot Hoost legit TKO'd Cro Cop with the liver shot.
cowcatcher
1/6/09 11:18:09PM
i know who mcdonald is, the man was a beast in k-1 and the pride of canadas combat sports for awhile there. what happened to him? i know he lost a couple of fights in a row and then i never heard from him again.
Naturaldisaster
1/7/09 1:31:25AM
i used to see daniel puder every week. I talked to him quite a bit, he was always real down to earth and just seemed excited to have fans that new more about him than just his short pro wrestling life (he was wrestling at ovw at the time). but he gave me one of his team puder shirts and told me if i wanted to be an mma fighter to just give it my all when im training and dont give up when shit seems to be gettin hard. and that if i did all that i could be a champ one day.
if you ever get a chance to meet him definitly do it because seriously hes one of the nicest people ive met

Edit: i was supposed to meet Matt Hamill (who is one of my favorite fighters) in Louisville, KY at a deaf convention (my step grandma and Grandpa are both deaf so i was gonna go with them). but Hamill had to pull out of the apperience because it fell on the same day as UFC 75.
Sam_Rothstein
1/7/09 12:33:12PM
thats a pretty cool story.

Ive met a few people but the only one super famous was tim sylvia but that was just a quick hey. My stepdad was lucky and got to wear tim sylvia's heavyweight belt for a minute (in 2006 when he was still champion)

Other than that just guys like Josh Neer, Jeremy Stephens, and guys like that. You usually can see those guys out at the clubs and bars on the weekend whenever they are in des moines.

Im not sure about how it is outside of iowa but a lot of mma fighters in des moines are pretty easy to piss off and hang out with crowds that are full of no good people. I swear half the fights that happen in bars in des moines are from either mma fighters or their flunkies who sold coke in high school instead of training boxing wrestling or any other style of combat besides of course the almighty keg fighting championship.

Some of em are actually pretty nice people though.
Sam_Rothstein
1/7/09 12:44:54PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Yeah same here, what happened with them?
cmill21
1/7/09 3:23:34PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i know who mcdonald is, the man was a beast in k-1 and the pride of canadas combat sports for awhile there. what happened to him? i know he lost a couple of fights in a row and then i never heard from him again.

Well the black sniper is currently still active, just not in K-1, but planning to retire soon since he's around 44. His first pro fight was acctually in the city i've lived in most of my life, Regina SK.