While merge with WEC uncertain, White says lighter classes coming to UFC "probably real soon"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » While merge with WEC uncertain, White says lighter classes coming to UFC "probably real soon"
jae_1833
8/27/09 9:35:52PM
link

PORTLAND, Ore. – While the idea of a merge between the UFC and WEC has been tossed around for quite some time, this past week's rescheduling of "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" brought the topic back to the discussion table.

At today's UFC 102 pre-fight press conference, White said he didn't have any immediate plans to merge Zuffa's two fight organizations together – but that doesn't mean fans shouldn't expect to see some of the WEC's biggest stars making their way into the UFC, especially with the volume of cards the UFC is planning for 2010.

"(The chances of us bringing lighter weight classes to the UFC are) very good, and probably real soon," White said. "We're doing like three fights a month next year."

link 2
jae_1833
8/27/09 9:36:52PM
I personally see this as the death of the WEC if it does in fact happen.
ncordless
8/27/09 9:41:21PM
I am down. There are some great fighters in the lower weights that deserve the exposure and the $$ that the heavier fighters are getting. Might we see Aldo vs. Brown in the UFC?
joshryanshepherd
8/27/09 10:02:27PM
i see White doing it for $ not to expose the smaller talent. with a couple more champions that means more staked events. dare we say Quad main Event?
spikerman19
8/27/09 10:11:13PM
If he wants to do 3 cards a month, then there needs to be a network deal. There is no way he could expect the average fan to pay $150 a month. He needs to sign with ABC or FOX who will pay the UFC for their programming. Also three fights a month would kill strikefarce by next summer.
emfleek
8/27/09 10:30:10PM
I just watched an interview Dana did with the Oregonian today and he said lighter weight classes would NOT be coming to the UFC and that they would be going to the WEC. He said it won't happen in the UFC because that's one of the things he hates about boxing...too many weight classes.
bustin_mma
8/27/09 10:44:37PM
Perfect, more equal pay for the lighter fighters, They should absolve the WEC and turn it into a womens division!
MasterNater88
8/27/09 10:48:50PM
I think in the Oregonian interview he was saying they wouldn't add any new weight classes between MW and LHW and between LHW and HW. But if I remember correctly he did say they will be adding lighter classes to the WEC.
Khaos
8/27/09 11:05:59PM
I would like to see a FW division in the UFC, but other then that, not really the other. Add two smaller divisions to WEC (already adding Flyweight) and merge 145 to UFC. That'd be awesome.
Gladiator
8/27/09 11:38:19PM
Please bring Kid Yamamoto to the UFC!!!!

Kid vs Faber/ Brown/ Aldo = fight of the year
Nightmare27
8/28/09 12:21:02AM
I wouldnt mind seeing the addition of lower weight classes to the UFC, but I sure hope this doesnt mean the end of the WEC. They could get rid of all of the tribal tattoos graphics but thats another thread in itself. Hopefully they keep it around and use it as like a minor league type system to build up talent for the big leagues.
GrandMaster313
8/28/09 12:26:02AM
good maybe we can have 15 fights on a card thus giving us more fights aired.

I never liked tthe idea of buying the PPV and only getting "half" of what I paid for.

Bring on Torres and Brown
mk1630
8/28/09 2:25:03AM
So i hope everyone whos been asking for more weight classes in the UFC are happy now at least
joshryanshepherd
8/28/09 2:45:53AM

Posted by mk1630

So i hope everyone whos been asking for more weight classes in the UFC are happy now at least

its not that they want more weight classes in the UFC, its that they dream of fairness and want gaps filled, not bring already existing classes in. which is cool in its self
telnights
8/28/09 5:20:17AM

Posted by ncordless

I am down. There are some great fighters in the lower weights that deserve the exposure and the $$ that the heavier fighters are getting. Might we see Aldo vs. Brown in the UFC?

The WEC now isn't really making much money and the lower guys don't get near the exposure they should be getting. But I think we loss a MMA promotion but over all I think this a is big step for the lower weight fighters and a bonus for fans that don't know about the lower weight classes. Plus I think this will pull some of the big name lower weight class guys from over seas.

I like the 170 to 135 more than I do the up weight classes. Now that's not to say I don't enjoy watching the bigger guys I just like watching the little guys even more. The funny thing is I'm a HW and in no way could ever make anything lower than that. I'm 6'3 right now (I was 6'4 and half till had back surgery) and walk around at 250 and that's when I'm in shape. Now I have put on some weight because of back problems but I'm far from fat. I'm just a big guy and always have been.
MMA-San
8/28/09 5:47:42AM
I really like how they used the WEC to promote lighter weight classes. You see, what Zuffa did is that they worked hard with the WEC 145 and 135lb divisions. They made them mainstreme and popular by making then the centerpeices of the WEC promotion. Now that they are established and taken seriously however, the UFC can add those two weight classes to their shows with much fan aclaim.

If Zuffa had not taken the WEC route, and just inroduced teh 135 and 145lb weight classes directly to the UFC back in 2006, nobody would have cared. Nobody would have ordered the PPV for those title fights...most, if not all the fights would have had to have been preliminary fights or fight night broadcasts.

However, because UFC took the extra three-four years to build these divisions up, they will be immediatley met with much acclaim and respect, and the UFC will not lose any money...they will actually make money.

However, I do believe they should wait. After Benson vs Cowboy, they should merge the lightweight division...it makes no sense to have two. They should add a flyweight division, build that up, and in a year from now merge all three fly, batam, and feather.
StriderXero
8/28/09 7:36:31AM
I think it's a good idea to merge with the ufc.......and bring Pride back.........

a guy can dream
AO
8/28/09 10:45:51AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by ncordless

The WEC now isn't really making much money and the lower guys don't get near the exposure they should be getting. But I think we loss a MMA promotion but over all I think this a is big step for the lower weight fighters and a bonus for fans that don't know about the lower weight classes. Plus I think this will pull some of the big name lower weight class guys from over seas.

I like the 170 to 135 more than I do the up weight classes. Now that's not to say I don't enjoy watching the bigger guys I just like watching the little guys even more. The funny thing is I'm a HW and in no way could ever make anything lower than that. I'm 6'3 right now (I was 6'4 and half till had back surgery) and walk around at 250 and that's when I'm in shape. Now I have put on some weight because of back problems but I'm far from fat. I'm just a big guy and always have been.

What on earth do your physical attributes have to do with moving divisions from wec to ufc? did you just wake up? :)
prozacnation1978
8/28/09 11:48:35AM
here they say no to be like boxing but by merging wec with ufc that is what is gonn happen, i like ufc but i don't wanna pay for 2 pay per views a month, and i may be the only guy who likes the lighter weight classes in a other organization to seperate the two... i say keep wec as it is, add fly weight and female division,
sclasclemski
8/28/09 3:25:56PM
adding feather and Bantam doesn't make the UFC like boxing...boxing has like 18 divisions at every 5 pounds it seems...plus there are a ton of promotions with their own champs so there are 100 champs floating around...the UFC is becoming and will be THE undisputed king of the weight classes...love it or hate it it doesn't matter...thats the way its going...over in Japan they may still survive autonomously but (save for Fedor) if someone wants to prove they are the best they will end up in the UFC.

I am/was looking forward to the Flyweights coming to the WEC and I hope that still happens cuz they mentioned doing a tournament to crown the first champ...if it happens in the UFC first that would be cool..they could make a season of Ultimate Fighter based around it...as well as FW and BW

And 3 fights a month is F'ing awesome...a ppv, a fight night on spike, and a decent card on a network would be great...now multiple ppv's a month would suck and I don't think they will do that anymore than they do now...though I could be wrong...

P.S.-- Brown v Faber 3 for the inaugural UFC featherweight championship
telnights
8/28/09 4:38:41PM

Posted by AO

Posted by telnights

Posted by ncordless

What on earth do your physical attributes have to do with moving divisions from wec to ufc? did you just wake up? :)

Did you even read my post? Spend a little more time reading and little less replying and maybe you will understand people's post.