Melvin Manhoef vs Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Melvin Manhoef vs Anderson Silva
POLL: Silva VS Manhoef
Silva ko 46% (25)
Silva sub 35% (19)
Silva dec 0% (0)
Manhoef ko 19% (10)
Manhoef sub 0% (0)
Manhoef dec 0% (0)
seanfu
1/2/09 3:52:18PM
I know Melvin didn't win the title in Dream. But the guy seems like the one fighter who can beat Silva right now outside of Hendo. Manhoef's style seems to be a perfect fit except for the case of Anderson pulling guard.

Maia has a chance but honestly I think we all know what will probably happen there. Manhoef had that knockout power even though he's undersized and he pounces.

So, do you all think he would have a chance? I see it.
cmill21
1/2/09 3:53:22PM
Well since Anderson doesn`t ussually take guys down I say yes he has a chance. Standing I would take Manhoef every time, im as impressed that he embarassed Slowinsky.
ohiostate1016
1/2/09 3:54:06PM
Ah...the ever popular ________ (guy with recent big win) vs. Anderson Silva.
DCRage
1/2/09 3:55:11PM
I think Manhoef can beat Silva if it stays standup. It's my belief that if you don't take Manhoef down quickly and sub him he will decapitate you...and that's if you're lucky.
Bowen50
1/2/09 4:04:05PM
there is no question Manhoef has a shot because his striking is outstanding and i believe he has the most powerful punch in MMA. that being said i think Anderson wins this fight 8 out of 10 times. Anderson is obviously an outstanding striker and he'd have a significant reach advantage which i think he'd use to dismantle Manhoef. he could also pull guard and get the sub too.
seanfu
1/2/09 4:10:01PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Yeah, that's pretty funny but had you seen Manheof you'd know the guy has the best standup knockdown and pounce of anyone in the division. And other than Hendo it seems like a good style to beat Silva. I thought Manhoef's last MMA fight was that loss at Dream.
cmill21
1/2/09 4:10:39PM

Posted by Bowen50

there is no question Manhoef has a shot because his striking is outstanding and i believe he has the most powerful punch in MMA. that being said i think Anderson wins this fight 8 out of 10 times. Anderson is obviously an outstanding striker and he'd have a significant reach advantage which i think he'd use to dismantle Manhoef. he could also pull guard and get the sub too.

Reach is something Melvin is used to not having, he has fought against muuuuch better strikers then Anderson, with bigger everything then Anderson, standing it`s very much in Manhoef`s favour.

EDIT: His fight against Hunt was MMA.
seanfu
1/2/09 4:16:34PM

Posted by Bowen50

That's the big problem, Manhoef only needs one shot and has the skill level to get it but Anderson has those long ass limbs, not to mention Jitz.
loller90278
1/2/09 4:33:36PM
i think the better fight would be gegard mousasi vs a. silva

both have k-1 style striking, both have pretty decent submissions
mrsmiley
1/2/09 5:57:54PM
I say Anderson takes this.
As great as Manhoef is in the standing phase of combat,Silva is just too well rounded for him imo.
Mchubb316
1/2/09 9:37:54PM
Manhoef is very powerful, and a quick striker. He is used to kicks, and is comforatable with them. He matches up well with Silva, with the exception that Silva is well above his abiltiy in the ground game. If this fight were to ever happen, Manhoef has a legit chance, but Anderson takes it, I think by being more well rounded.
tdietel01
1/2/09 9:53:00PM
I just watched a highlight video of manhoef (never heard of him till this discussion) He looks a bit wild with his striking and as elusive as anderson can be, I see manhoef punching himself out or leaving a HUGE opening for silva to capitalize. On the other hand has anyone ever come at silva with non-stop gun blazing haymakers? Maybe that would be andersons kryptonite? Input?
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/2/09 10:04:02PM

Posted by tdietel01

I just watched a highlight video of manhoef (never heard of him till this discussion) He looks a bit wild with his striking and as elusive as anderson can be, I see manhoef punching himself out or leaving a HUGE opening for silva to capitalize. On the other hand has anyone ever come at silva with non-stop gun blazing haymakers? Maybe that would be andersons kryptonite? Input?

chris leben
Pookie
1/2/09 11:40:36PM

Posted by loller90278

i think the better fight would be gegard mousasi vs a. silva

both have k-1 style striking, both have pretty decent submissions

Mousasi isnt ready for Anderson silva, even Gegards kickboxing coach has openly admitted this.
EvenFlow
1/2/09 11:47:09PM
In this one Melvin is only for betting on not for picking. Stranger upsets have happened though.
State_Champ
1/3/09 9:08:04AM
Anderson Silva has superior accuracy and reach as well as movement and submissions; he would win for certain.
ohiostate1016
1/3/09 2:00:05PM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by ohiostate1016

Yeah, that's pretty funny but had you seen Manheof you'd know the guy has the best standup knockdown and pounce of anyone in the division. And other than Hendo it seems like a good style to beat Silva. I thought Manhoef's last MMA fight was that loss at Dream.

Have seen Manhoef, but don't you think that endless comparisons between fighters gets kinda old? Unless you're high, of course, when wondering who would win in a 3-way fight between Green Lantern, Superman, and Fred Sanford can be the catalyst of hours of fun.

And how do you judge your standup knockdown and punch skill? Never seen that one on any of those 'create a fighter' sites.
cmill21
1/3/09 3:48:30PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

And how do you judge your standup knockdown and punch skill? Never seen that one on any of those 'create a fighter' sites.

If Manhoef gets you a tiny bit woosy and knows it, thats it it's done. He's so fast and strong as soon as he gets going thats all she wrote.
higdon10
1/4/09 1:39:32PM
Manhoef is a beast, but I would pick Silva.
bls1919
1/4/09 9:16:53PM
Silva isn't a retard. He knows how hard Manhoef hits. He'll exchange on the feet then take it to the ground and Submit Melvin in the first rnd. Silva is a black belt in BJJ. Manhoef can barely say guillitine.
pv3Hpv3p
1/5/09 1:49:30PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by seanfu

Posted by ohiostate1016

Have seen Manhoef, but don't you think that endless comparisons between fighters gets kinda old? Unless you're high, of course, when wondering who would win in a 3-way fight between Green Lantern, Superman, and Fred Sanford can be the catalyst of hours of fun.

What on earth do these people think they're doin???? Talking about possible fights on a mixed martial arts message board no less!!!!

What do you really expect? that's half the reason this place is around

EDIT: I think that Manhoef has a real shot at this, I'd always known he's had power, but KOing Hunt like that (on short notice) was unbeleavable... The Slowinski win was excellent as well... Manhoef gives ANYONE problems standing, plain and simple
gsquat
1/5/09 6:40:09PM
You're living in dream world if you think Silva wins via submission. I'm not saying Silva can't, because his JJ is great and Melvin's defense is retarded at best... But when was the last time you saw Silva shoot for a TD? Hmm? Or Melvin for that matter. Silva loves to stand and won't put his striking below anyone else's. Silva only goes to the ground when his opponent takes him there. So don't fool yourselves by thinking Silva is going to magically have a different gameplan than he's had for every other fight in his life... which is to try to KO his opponent, and submit him if his opponent takes him down. However I feel this fight ends with a KO in favor of Manhoef.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
1/11/09 6:46:15PM
I'm not complaining but shouldn't we be asking Andreson Silva vs Gegard Moussoui?

Anderson still wins.
Hendo67
1/12/09 6:19:23PM
I'd like nothing more than to see Melvin KO him so bad, lol
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/2/10 7:58:29PM
One year later ...

Manhoef supporters , does he still wreck Anderson on the feet ?

NatedawgThaM
2/2/10 8:37:46PM
If Melvin lands he definitely can and will put Anderson down. But with that said, look what just happened to Melvin. I think Anderson bobs and weaves enough with his pin point accuracy and knocks Melvin out. I mean melvin looked great with patience but when he rocked Robbie he got wild again and got caught. I just dont think he keeps his composure long enough and Anderson puts him down in the 1st.