Melvin Manhoef vs. Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Melvin Manhoef vs. Anderson Silva
Next Page »
POLL: Who wins?
Manhoef 21% (11)
A. Silva 79% (42)
chickmagnet
6/16/08 8:23:35PM
Who wins this one? This is a crazy match-up. I would want Manhoef to KO Silva.

Thoughts?
wolfman
6/16/08 8:27:36PM
It would be an explosive fight! If Manhoef connected he could KO Silva. Yet, Silva would have a good shot at picking Manhoef apart on the feet or he could take him down and submit him. Silva virtually by whatever he wants, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Manhoef KO Silva. Both are great fighters and I like them both, Silva is more well rounded though.... Would be an awesome fight to see!!
gravy13
6/16/08 8:32:03PM
It would be awesome to see. I think Manhoef has more power behind his punches but Silva is just way too accurate. Silva would pick him apart with his accuracy and dominate the stand up, IMO. Silva by TKO or KO in the 2nd round.
jiujitsufreak74
6/16/08 8:47:18PM
IMHO Silva would take this to the ground and win easily since Melvin has a sever lack of a ground game. although, Melvin can catch him with one big punch on the way in so i wouldn't count him out. but in the end i would pick Silva by submission since Melvin has absolutely 0 ground game
Mchubb316
6/16/08 9:11:33PM
Silva's technical striking, and ground game would be the X factor in this matchup. I think he is good enough to avoid being hit, and smart enough not to stand and trade punch for punch with a stronger Manhoef. Eventually Anderson would take this to the ground and submit him.
chickmagnet
6/16/08 9:36:42PM
Manhoef does have a disadvantage on the ground but I do not see Anderson winning on the feet. I don't understand how people think he would KO Manhoef but then say he would lose to Rampage. I think Anderson would KO Rampage BADLY.
juanez13
6/16/08 9:52:34PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Manhoef does have a disadvantage on the ground but I do not see Anderson winning on the feet. I don't understand how people think he would KO Manhoef but then say he would lose to Rampage. I think Anderson would KO Rampage BADLY.

Manhoef is a middleweight with no ground Game.

Rampage-> a lightheavyweight, good striking + great wrestling, good ground game.

if it was a stand up fight, that be a different story, but being MMA i think rampage is too strong for silva in the ground, which is essentially silva's weakness.

still, i agree, i think its close in the feet, but if it was a K-1 match i see manhoef beating silva, however i do see anderson submitting Manhoef. only thing though, hard to imagine silva taking someone down.
cmill21
6/16/08 10:22:02PM
If Anderson stands he would lose, Manhoef is a very good kickboxer with incredible speed and power. If he thinks your hurt you'll be seeing stars asap.
cowcatcher
6/16/08 10:36:38PM
i think anderson could take this standing or if he decides to take it to the ground. manhoef is a phenominal striker, but anderson is a smart stand up fighter that would use the jab to keep the much shorter and shorter armed manhoef at bay. with a guy like melvin, if youre lazy or not moving to a position that gives you good angles to strike from you will go to sleep, i just think anderson is far too savvy for that.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/17/08 12:19:51AM
anderson would have a 5-6 inch height advantage, as well as a huge reach. Anderson has never been wobbled in a fight . melvin has been ko'd twice in his mma career and 3 times in his kick boxing career. It's not that hard of a decision.
Anderson by what ever he wants. My guess: Anderson would drop him on his feet, take his back and submit him. similar to henderson's match.
jiujitsufreak74
6/17/08 12:29:14AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

anderson would have a 5-6 inch height advantage, as well as a huge reach. Anderson has never been wobbled in a fight . melvin has been ko'd twice in his mma career and 3 times in his kick boxing career. It's not that hard of a decision.
Anderson by what ever he wants. My guess: Anderson would drop him on his feet, take his back and submit him. similar to henderson's match.

Yeah, but i assure you Remy and Sefo would KO any MW at kickboxing so using his kickboxing KO losses really holds no weight although i guess you are just saying he can be KOed but even still ts a mute point in terms of MMA. his KO losses to Faverous and Schrijber in MMA are good arguments, but both of them are KO machines as well and when you have too powerful strikers trading punches either one can win.

Now, you say Anderson has never been wobbled in a fight, which i am pretty sure isn't true but i can't refute it either, but you have to remember he has never faced a striker in MMA of Melvin's caliber.

With all of that said, i still think Silva would win, i am just saying that there are two sides to every argument and that Silva's best bet would be to take it to the ground despite his reach because if Melvin connects it can be the beginning of the end.
DiabloFreak56
6/17/08 1:45:40AM
that was an impressive win over sakuraba but i mean i never seen any of his other fights and i think anderson can outstrike him
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/17/08 10:09:17AM
gotta go w/ anderson although manhoef is a beast
stock
6/17/08 1:10:32PM
I want to see Manhoef fight Anthony Johnson.
I think someone's head would explode in that fight.
MMAcca
6/17/08 2:03:19PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

gotta go w/ anderson although manhoef is a beast

I don't think Melvin would be able to get inside Anderson because of the significant reach advantage.

I think Silva would strike with him for a while and then take the fight to the ground and finish it quickly because of Manhoef's alarming lack of a ground game.

A.Silva 1st round sub.

NatedawgThaM
6/17/08 9:45:50PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i think anderson could take this standing or if he decides to take it to the ground. manhoef is a phenominal striker, but anderson is a smart stand up fighter that would use the jab to keep the much shorter and shorter armed manhoef at bay. with a guy like melvin, if youre lazy or not moving to a position that gives you good angles to strike from you will go to sleep, i just think anderson is far too savvy for that.

It's just this one is very difficult for me to pick on paper. Its one of those fights to me were you can't really confidently predict a clear winner until the fight actually begins. It's one of those fights you can't judge really on past performances, but on which gameplan is better.

It's funny, but Anderson Silva reminds A LOT of long time Middleweight boxing kingpin Bernard Hopkins who had 20 straight title defenses. Both struggled before they hit their stride, Anderson had 3 losses and Hopkins lost his debut and lost to Roy Jones. But both the Ryo fight and the Jones Jr. fight look to be the fights that really changed both of their careers for the better. Both looked completely unstoppable afterwards. Like Hopkins, Anderson isn't going to wow drunks at a bar like Wandy and Chuck with high volumes of punching. They don't throw 10 punch combinations praying at least one stuns their opponents. They make every punch count with beautiful and phenomenal skill and pin point accuracy. Now Hopkins is considered "boring" since he isn't wearing 4 ounce gloves but trust me, with his power and skill just like Silva's, he'd be just as much of a beast in MMA on the feet. They start off slow getting your timing up and then once they figure you out, they turn it up and frustrate you, destroy you and just make you look plain amateur. They both use a lethal combination of speed, technique, and savvy in one great mix to win.

Like I said, it all depends on the gameplan. If Melvin is just ALITTLE too aggressive, Anderson will make him look horrible. I mean amateur like he did Leban in that brutal fashion. just not as quick. He'll have him running into his shots with perfect timing like he did Leban. BUT, if Melvin is calm like he was against Sakaruba, he can definitely pull the upset off. If he just stays calm and just calmly walks him down. It will slow Anderson down from figuring him out and will make Anderson nervous since he will know one punch and he's out. Like CMill21 said, once Melvin senses your in danger, YOUR SCREWED! I don't care if your freakin Rampage or Fedor, YOUR DONE! I don't think we will be seeing ANY ground game in this fight. Anderson does not shoot takedowns, he only subs off the back when wrestlers take him their. But I assure you, this will end in standing KO fashion.

Interesting because Silva has a 1-1 boxing record with that lost coming by KO. But with Melvin, his KO losses were from 4 ounce gloves. BUT once Silva rocked Hendo, Hendo unleashed 3-4 straight right hands that landed 100% CLEAN that Anderson look like he didn't even feel. And Hendo's right hand power is right up their with Melvin. So like I said, it depends on who has the better gameplan and who makes the first mistake. But I will go on recent dominance and lean towards Anderson for a late stoppage. It seems the longer this fight goes, the more it benefits Silva, the but the quicker it ends, you got to give the nod to Melvin but I think Silva will stay calm, figure him out eventually and pick apart middle and late with pin point accuracy until he gets a late fight stoppage. Very hard fight to pick but I got to pick on recent success even though if Melvin wins the MWGP, this whole argument for me makes it look even more impossible to pick a winner.
cowcatcher
6/18/08 9:34:23AM
iie gotta spread the love, but i think the hopkins comparison is a very good one.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/18/08 3:15:51PM
Before you think melvin has a chance at all , please watch melvin vs cyborg.
CornishMMA
6/18/08 8:40:38PM
exactly what i was going to say dude, but i reckon with a username like that you think he is god and could never lose to anyone, Melvin could KO him and would have a decent chance but yeah id say SILVA BY CARDIO
gsquat
6/20/08 2:37:01PM
I really think Silva would make the mistake of standing with Manhoef. Understand that Silva is a bjj black belt, but he has no intention of taking the fight to the ground. He is still primarily a muay thai fighter. Manhoef is faster and way more powerful on the feet. So unless Anderson made it clear that he intended to make this a ground fight, I would pick Melvin.

p.s. The cyborg fight showed me that he could get a knockout against a decent opponent even in the later rounds.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/21/08 12:47:17AM

Posted by gsquat
p.s. The cyborg fight showed me that he could get a knockout against a decent opponent even in the later rounds.

did you really watch the fight? IMo it showed he tends to wild brawl and has bad cardio. IMO leben has a better chin, bigger reach, and better cardio. look what happend to him. I also think your wrong when you say melvin hits harder and faster then A SILVA.
mrsmiley
6/23/08 2:01:52PM
Manhoef is an amazing striker,but sometimes it seems like he just really gets lackluster in some of his fights.I think if he fought Silva,he would should up in top condition though.

Andersons key to victory imo,would be to pull a Machida and attempt to avoid all of Manhoefs strikes,and then place some very precised counters.Easier said than done,I know,but I think that's what Silva wold have to do.
NatedawgThaM
6/24/08 1:25:13PM
The Cyborg fight was 13 fights ago...He's only had trouble in two fights since against good grapplers but Anderson won't even take this fight to the ground. Everybody else he's destroyed since.

So if we're going by a 13 fights ago system, I think I could probably find a scenario where Cabbage or Kimbo could beat Fedor
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/26/08 12:20:00AM
he fought cyborg two years ago. you sayin fedor two years ago would lose to kimbo or cabbage
NatedawgThaM
6/26/08 3:01:10AM
So, he's fought 12-13 times since. Counting years don't mean crap if you've fought a lot during them. Maybe if he's fought 2-3 times each year and has had 6-7 fights since you might have a case. But he's fought over ten times not even counting his K-1 bouts. He also was training with ATT for awhile, not sure if he still is.

But that's still not the point. It does not take several years to improve especially when your active gaining some quality experience. Two years ago Anderson lost by DQ to Okami. So I guess that means I can't trust Anderson's understanding of the rules. I guess melvin will win by DQ.
cmill21
6/26/08 9:29:47AM

he fought cyborg two years ago. you sayin fedor two years ago would lose to kimbo or cabbage

Lol what? You may not remember but 11 fights ago anderson was submitted by Ryo, and 15 fights ago he was submitted by Takase. So if your going to make it seem like no one can change anything in 13 fights then you better look at Anderson to. Don't act like Anderson would just walk through Melvin. Melvin's faced much better strikers then Anderson has, and considering Melvin fought and got Remy to a decision(Remy's 7 inches taller then him) is pretty damn impressive.
sakulbn
6/26/08 6:26:16PM
Manhoef always gives good fights
Pookie
6/26/08 8:40:14PM

Posted by cmill21

Lol what? You may not remember but 11 fights ago anderson was submitted by Ryo, and 15 fights ago he was submitted by Takase. So if your going to make it seem like no one can change anything in 13 fights then you better look at Anderson to. Don't act like Anderson would just walk through Melvin. Melvin's faced much better strikers then Anderson has, and considering Melvin fought and got Remy to a decision(Remy's 7 inches taller then him) is pretty damn impressive.

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/26/08 11:45:13PM

So if we're going by a 13 fights ago system, I think I could probably find a scenario where Cabbage or Kimbo could beat Fedor

. IMO fedor is the best fighter on the planet . 13 fights ago fedor was tko'ing gary goodridge. kimbo or cabbage in the same sentence as fedor is outrageous. No point in fedor's fighting career would either fighter in their primes stand a chance with fedor.

Posted by NatedawgThaM

So, he's fought 12-13 times since. Counting years don't mean crap if you've fought a lot during them. Maybe if he's fought 2-3 times each year and has had 6-7 fights since you might have a case. But he's fought over ten times not even counting his K-1 bouts. He also was training with ATT for awhile, not sure if he still is.

Granted this is very true, I havent seen much of an improvement on the ground at all with melvin over this span. Fighting and training for kickboxing matches wouldnt help improve the weakest part of his game either.

Two years ago Anderson lost by DQ to Okami. So I guess that means. I can't trust Anderson's understanding of the rules. I guess melvin will win by DQ.

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/27/08 12:04:36AM

Posted by cmill21

IM not saying no1 can change but anderson is unique and p4p king for a reason. IMO he is a much better natural athlete then manhoef. Training with Nog wouldnt hurt either. Andersons body is better suited for the ground also. WHen he fought remy the first time yes it was a decision loss. They fought 2 months ago in a rematch and manhoef got KTFO with a right kick. thats kickboxing though. anderson has shown high level black belt skills in the cage and his long limbs able him to lock in sick body triangles. melvin has a ground weakness and IMO hasn't shown improvement in the last 13 fights.

Pages: [1] 2