Melvin Gulliard vs. Rich Clementi at UFC 79

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Melvin Gulliard vs. Rich Clementi at UFC 79
NatedawgThaM
10/8/07 6:40:09PM
According to MMAweekly.com Melvn Gulliard who after his fight with Joe Stevenson tested positive for a type of cocaine will make his return from that recent loss to take TUF rival Rich Clementi...

I think it will be a good ground fight but it will stand on it's feet so Rich will get KTFO...

Link
juanez13
10/8/07 6:47:30PM
Guillard could have a great future, i mean hi stand up is off the charts and his lightning fast, he just has to get his head straight, and lay 0off the roids and drugs, if he learns good ground game and everything this guy can be unstoppable, but he might just be one of those guys that never reaches up to his potential, like kevin randleman, has all the tools, but just doesnt have his head in the game, and messes his career with drugs and whatnot
nickcuc547
10/8/07 7:08:26PM
guillard has the potential to have gomi like striking, he is the most dangerous 155 pound striker in the ufc, clementi is tough as nails and has the edge on the ground but he wont be able to dodge melvins bombs for very long, melvin by 1st round tko.
silverbullet
10/8/07 7:25:48PM

Posted by juanez13

Guillard could have a great future, i mean hi stand up is off the charts and his lightning fast, he just has to get his head straight, and lay 0off the roids and drugs, if he learns good ground game and everything this guy can be unstoppable, but he might just be one of those guys that never reaches up to his potential, like kevin randleman, has all the tools, but just doesnt have his head in the game, and messes his career with drugs and whatnot

My thoughts exactly. Melvin has an amazing potential, colorful personality, great striking skills, and he's a very exciting fighter to watch. Unfortunately, personal issues seem to get in the way of his career.
wrona666
10/8/07 7:28:47PM
Melvin is going to bruttaly smash Clementi.......this one will not even be close..
kevietre
10/8/07 7:39:29PM
After seeing Johnson run through Chad Reiner I thought he would smash Clementi too but that didn't happen. I like Melvin Guillard but he's really one dimensional and Joe Stevenson proved that at fight night.
Im actually suprised they would have him back since he lost in 30 seconds and then failed his drug test for cocaine.
MMA
10/8/07 8:03:48PM
Guillard is a good wrestler so if he can keep the fight standing, he has a good chance. If it hits the ground, I can see Clementi submitting/gnp him out.
DaRiddm
10/8/07 9:41:57PM

Melvin is going to bruttaly smash Clementi.......this one will not even be close..

Like shogun did to forrest, and crocop did to gonzaga and kongo, right?
wapttn
10/8/07 10:02:05PM
hahaha..

i think my favourite forum quote from ufc of all times is "Melvin's 8ball lasted longer than his fight did"

It'll be interesting to see how he comes out in this fight, but i wouldnt count either fighter out
MALICE
10/8/07 11:29:27PM
Melvin is so quick and explosive. If it stays up, Melvin will catch him. If it goes down, Rich has a chance at a submission.
pinoymixplaya
10/9/07 12:47:20AM
What weight will this fight be at? does anybody know?
jae_1833
10/9/07 1:01:53AM
The fight will be at LW....Rich mentioned dropping to the LW Div after his last fight, which was at a catch weight.
cmill21
10/9/07 1:31:55AM
Hope Melvin gets back into it.
nWo
10/9/07 2:57:01AM

Posted by cmill21

Hope Melvin gets back into it.

WAR MG
MixedMartialArts
10/9/07 3:44:42AM
Should be a war, im going with Rich
CornishMMA
10/9/07 6:28:25AM
Yeah im thinking Clementi may be the smart wager with the odds we will have, if you factor in the ring rust and Melvins BJJ defence then i can see him losing this comeback fight, i really like to watch him figth and he has crazy hands but im not sold on his "good wrestling" that somebody mentioned

No Love will be BIG at 155 as well
CornishMMA
10/9/07 6:32:54AM
DAMNNNNN i completly forgot about the BAD BLOOD between these 2 guys ...................... way back before his fight with Daddy they started talking crap at each other and then at some MMA show somewhere Melvin sucker punched Rich - makes this fight even more interesting imo
FantasyFighter
10/9/07 12:18:43PM

Im not sure you can get any more muscle on a 155 frame than Melvin carries.

I have to think that Melvin will be hungry to prove himself against Rich and even though he may not have the savy that his opponent will have, I still think he clearly has more natural athleticism and speed than Rich and that sounds like a recipe for success.

Gotta love a good ole' fashioned grudge match.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/9/07 1:09:23PM
Team Voodoo for this one. Clementi's a much smart fighter than Guillard. I'm looking for a submission.
wapttn
10/9/07 1:10:29PM
i wonder who's physically stronger.. sherk or guillard? i'd still put my money on sherk
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/9/07 1:46:44PM
Sherk or Guillard? you serious buddy? kind of insulting for the muscle shark there
CornishMMA
10/9/07 2:12:44PM
yep downplaying the advantage of steroids over cocaine!

Posted by FantasyFighter

Im not sure you can get any more muscle on a 155 frame than Melvin carries.

I knew Melvin was BIG as well cos he was on TUF2 with the 170"ers, but melvin is 5'9 and rich is 5'9 as well, Melvin will have alot more muscle tho i agree (as long as he is still in shape after 9 months out) so yeah im torn in this one, striker vs grappler 101 but ive got to see i almost always favor the grappler, id prefer to see Melvin KHTFO cos i like his hands, dont like his personality much tho, he should have been humbled by Daddy and his bad times of late tho

Will be good to see Melvin fight guys that will stand with him tho, Stout or Fisher would be good, this was 1 helluba sick KO
Sam_Rothstein
10/9/07 4:48:19PM
melvin guillard said on sherdog radio that he knocked out rich clementi in a club before his fight with joe stevenson

if rich tries to stand like he did with anthony johnson he will be knocked out before the 1st

but if rich can get him to the ground it will probably be an easy sub for no love

i think that since team punishment doesnt have the time to train him right that he should switch to a different camp

xtreme couture would be a nice place to make him an all around fighter, or american kickboxing academy since they have so many good wrestlers
CornishMMA
10/10/07 6:54:09AM
He never KO'd him, it was at a mma event and apparently he sucker punched Rich for no real reason, 1 things for sure it makes the fight much more interesting
Sam_Rothstein
10/11/07 2:39:17AM
yeah i heard on mmajunkie back in febuary that he sucker punched him at some fight event because they had been talking trash in emails to eachother

but melvin guillard said on sherdog radio that he knocked rich clementi out in a night club, but then again this was the same interview he accused joe stevenson of taking HGH

maybe melvin was talking about a different time they bumped into eachother, or else melvin guillard was high off ecstacy and mistook the fight for a night club lol

bls1919
10/15/07 9:19:07PM
I think Clementi will find "no love" in the form of Melvins right hand. And if rich does happen to get him to the ground, good luck keeping him there. he is so explosive and for a 155 lb frame is massive. i dont see this being a pretty fight for Clementi. His face is going to hurt the next day