Melvin Guillard Returns at UFC 79 — But Does Anyone Care?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Melvin Guillard Returns at UFC 79 — But Does Anyone Care?
TNunley
12/28/07 3:44:12PM
Melvin Guillard, an insanely experienced 24-year-old fighter who garnered some fame during a quick stint on “The Ultimate Fighter 2,” returns to the octagon on Saturday for the first time in nearly nine months.

MMAJunkie
wrona666
12/28/07 3:45:05PM
You know its sad but Truuuuuuuuu........
supatolacyl
12/28/07 4:01:16PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I am looking forward to his return. I hope in his 9 month suspension he devoted that time to rehab and sub def. training. If he can defend subs better and clean up his act I think he can be a threat in the lw div. He is very explosive, has as good if not better ko power then any other lw and his wrestling is pretty decent I mean it's no sherk wrestling but it is good. This saturday we will be able to see if he has improved that sub D cause rich will test it as long as he don't go lights out in the first 30 sec.
TNunley
12/28/07 4:02:53PM
I'm thinking the whole purpose of what he was saying is that he is returning after being suspended for cocaine use... on one the biggest UFC card of the year. That most casual fans will just look at it like a band at a concert opening for 2 bands everyone has anticipated seeing for a long time. Meaning most people wouldn't see the fight as significant, and wouldn't care that it's his return... or maybe just that there hasn't been much exposure about it. Who knows.
rcg916
12/28/07 4:10:57PM
People will forget after this fight, I think. In my opinion, he'll go right through Clementi. He has as heavy of hands as there is in that weightclass, and an unmatched explosiveness. Hope he gets his priorities straight, and gets back on track.
Kpro
12/28/07 4:25:35PM
Clementi fought his last UFC opponent who cuts from 190 at a catch weight of 177.5 on 4 days notice.

He submitted the 4-0 striker who outweighed him by over 20 pounds.

I don't see him having any issue subbing Guillard .
Kpro
12/28/07 4:27:07PM
And getting some semblance of submission defense over the last 9 months is more important than discontinuing use of cocaine for Guillard.
CornishMMA
12/28/07 4:38:00PM
Who really cares? WTF? he is a very exciting fighter, tho i think it likely he will get subbed im glad he is back in the division as a rematch against Huerta would be something id love to see

Its more like who cares if he did a bit of cocaine!!! Plenty others have, they just didnt get caught cos they didnt retardadly use it within 3 days of testing
Kpro
12/28/07 4:40:21PM
Also, does anyone have Guillards contact information as I'm sure he can probably get higher quality cocaine than I can.
McBee
12/28/07 7:50:46PM
SCREW YOU!!! I am not going to read your stupid post, Melvin is an exciting fighter and I cannot wait to see him fight with how crappy UFC 78 was I am so glad I can at least count on Melvin to go balls to the wall and try to knock someone out without caring what the other guys plan is.
ufcboss
12/29/07 12:22:29AM
Welcome back I say, He is a machine, Young and full of potential. You know he has worked his ground skill's, Thanks to Joe!
silverbullet
12/29/07 12:44:25PM
I was one of the first to jump on Guillard's bandwagon back in the day, but the guy keeps screwing up! Guillard is an exciting fighter, but he needs to get his career back on track. This should be a good fight, and Clementi will take it, although it's a tough call.
Boo_Radley21
12/29/07 2:26:56PM
I don't think Clementi can win this fight. I would love him to, but I think Guillard takes this one.
Kpro
12/30/07 2:18:40AM
For the life of me, I can't understand how everyone and their mother didn't have Clementi by 1st round Submission on their picks.

Guillard fans are blind to his extreme weaknesses.
tlangley
12/30/07 2:55:37AM

Posted by Kpro

For the life of me, I can't understand how everyone and their mother didn't have Clementi by 1st round Submission on their picks.

Guillard fans are blind to his extreme weaknesses.

well i figured it was very possible Rich would take him down and sub him. But i didn't vote that cus i didn't want that to happen. Melvin would take it in a rematch by ko!
Trench777
12/31/07 1:31:53AM

Posted by tlangley
well i figured it was very possible Rich would take him down and sub him. But i didn't vote that cus i didn't want that to happen. Melvin would take it in a rematch by ko!

I hope Rich rematches him and subs him again, humps him again and waves "bye bye" in his face again.

I despise Melvin Guilliard & LOVED seeing him lose.

My only regret was Rich didnt make him BLEEEEEEED (but seeing the little bitch tap was good too.)

T777
tlangley
1/1/08 2:30:47AM
Rich said he backed up his trash talk...if i hated a guy that much theres no way i would choke him out. i'd pound his a&% till he went to sleep or cryed...jus sayin
Mastodon2
1/1/08 8:19:27AM
Melvin got absolutely dominated. I don't see why a rematch would be any different. Clementi just outclassed him. Back to the drawing board for Melvin!
HUSKERLINK
1/1/08 1:40:03PM

Posted by McBee

SCREW YOU!!! I am not going to read your stupid post, Melvin is an exciting fighter and I cannot wait to see him fight with how crappy UFC 78 was I am so glad I can at least count on Melvin to go balls to the wall and try to knock someone out without caring what the other guys plan is.

I know you were not commenting at me but.....I have to say HOW'D MELVIN DO IN HIS LAST 2 FIGHTS? He never made it out of the FIRST ROUND!!
HUSKERLINK
1/1/08 1:43:09PM

Posted by ufcboss

Welcome back I say, He is a machine, Young and full of potential. You know he has worked his ground skill's, Thanks to Joe!

HOW'D ALL THAT "GROUND WORK" WORK OUT FOR HIM??? He was too busy snorting coke and chasin ho's!!
Khaos
1/1/08 5:48:41PM
To answer the question posted as the title

"Melvin Guillard returns at UFC 79, but does anyone care ?"

No, No one cares.

I was glad to see him get completely dominated, and I think Rich's actions were justified beacause of Melvin's shit talking, although I don't advise no sportsmen like behavior.
McBee
1/2/08 9:52:36AM
It is because I commented before the Clementi fight ass and I am talking about wanting to see the guy fight, I am still going to want to watch any Melvin fight because it is not two guys, "showing respect" for each other like the 1st round of the Liddell-Silva fight. Melvin wants to knock out the other guy and will throw what it takes even if it makes him susceptable to the take down. Besides Kongo possibly being a more technical striker and being a HW, Melvin and Kongo are the same person without the explosiveness on Kongo's part, Kongo cannot stop the takedowns and will get subbed if he fights a good submission artist that can get him to the ground. All striker, no Sprawl, if I was them I would plead with Liddel to teach me his amazing Sprawl and ground escape.

Melvin is passionate and goes for the finish, maybe not the most effective way to win but at least I do not have to watch another Sylvia, O'Brien, Marrero or all the other guys who would rather win than finish.
CornishMMA
1/2/08 10:35:17AM
That fight was a perfect example of why some people should do "Babalu's" ............. it would stop the pathetic lil scum**** getting up acting all hard, sometimes you shouldnt be allowed to tap and should be put to sleep imo