Melvin Guillard exits the Blackzilians and rejoins Greg Jackson in New Mexico

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Melvin Guillard exits the Blackzilians and rejoins Greg Jackson in New Mexico
Shawn91111
3/24/13 9:45:55PM
UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard has decided to exit the Blackzilians and return to his former team under the tutelage of coach Greg Jackson.

Guillard, who had been working with the Florida-based team since the second half of 2011, announced via Twitter that he was leaving the training camp to go back to New Mexico.

The former Ultimate Fighter season 2 cast member first began working with Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn in 2009 after bouncing around several different teams since his first fights all the way back in 2002.

LINK
jae_1833
3/24/13 9:51:26PM
Who knows with Guillard...guys inconsistant to say the least...hopefully it will do something for him.
frizzzlecake
3/24/13 10:02:48PM
Needs more smiley faces.
Chael_Sonnen
3/24/13 10:12:22PM
I blame Über.....rumor has it, that apparently he was unwilling to share his magical horse meat with his fellow teammates.

grappler0000
3/24/13 10:17:47PM
He was 5-1 with Jackson's and 1-3 with the Blackzillians. I'm thinking this is probably the right choice.
Budgellism
3/24/13 10:18:22PM
One of the better decisions he's made.
sparky
3/24/13 10:30:41PM
Melvin seemed to be a better fighter under Greg Jackson, props to him for realizing and making the jump back to where he has seen the most success
Svartorm
3/24/13 10:53:29PM
For someone with a substance abuse issue, Boca Raton isn't a good place to be, and most of his team mates are notorious party/club goers. Jacksons's is probably the best place for him in regards to company kept and lack of a crazed party scene.
UFC_Fanatic
3/25/13 12:27:08AM

Posted by Svartorm

For someone with a substance abuse issue, Boca Raton isn't a good place to be, and most of his team mates are notorious party/club goers. Jacksons's is probably the best place for him in regards to company kept and lack of a crazed party scene.

So long as he stays away from the after training activities of a certain champ there who's name may or may not rhyme with Lawn Gnomes.
tcunningham
3/25/13 1:30:29AM
it doesnt look like the blackzillians are doing very well. i havent been impressed with any of their fighters for a while. i wonder if there will be any more fighters leaving them soon.
DrivenDavies15
3/25/13 1:32:49AM
Good for him, big fan of Guillard. Can't wait to see him back in action and hopefully make another run to the top of the division.
jlock003
3/25/13 2:28:26AM
I feel like it's a story of athleticism without intellect vs being a great athlete with superb game planning.
BillsNewAccount
3/25/13 8:50:17AM
Definitely a smart move for Gulliard. With this camp change I'm sure he'll never get choked out again.
Goatenstein
3/25/13 9:09:37AM
He needs people to blame every time he loses.
cowcatcher
3/25/13 10:22:43AM
I dunno Melvin, the Blackzillians might have finally turned it around after seeing the WSOF.

It seems like Melvin needs the structure Jackson's gives him, it seems like the right move on paper.
Svartorm
3/25/13 11:50:03AM

Posted by tcunningham

it doesnt look like the blackzillians are doing very well. i havent been impressed with any of their fighters for a while. i wonder if there will be any more fighters leaving them soon.

I think the problem is it's a gym full of a elite fighters trained by less than elite coaches. I doubt there's much structure in the place and imagine it's a lot of sparring and very little improvement.
Goatenstein
3/25/13 1:14:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by tcunningham

I think the problem is it's a gym full of a elite fighters trained by less than elite coaches. I doubt there's much structure in the place and imagine it's a lot of sparring and very little improvement.

A lot of former top 5ers who think they know it all already getting "trained" by their pals and the guy who owns the place.
Goatenstein
3/25/13 1:31:14PM
I just read that Guillard won't be allowed back at Jackson's.
airkerma
3/25/13 1:58:51PM

Posted by Goatenstein

I just read that Guillard won't be allowed back at Jackson's.

Chael_Sonnen
3/25/13 2:32:44PM
Screw New Mexico, the only thing noteworthy coming from there is Breaking Bad.

Come train with the bad guys.....Team Darkside.