Meltzer: Brock beats most former UFC heavyweight champions

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Meltzer: Brock beats most former UFC heavyweight champions
emfleek
1/6/12 10:52:32AM
Most people's opinion's of a fighter don't usually go back more than a couple fights. A popular rule to live by in most MMA gym's is that you are only as good as your last fight. But when a fighter retires, you have to look at what he accomplished when he accomplished. Brock Lesnar has lost two fights in a row and announced his retirement from the UFC and sport of MMA.

Most fans have been harsh on Lesnar losing his last two fights in the way he did, but most forgot that not only did Brock Lesnar win the UFC heavyweight title after only three professional MMA bouts, a feat unprecedented in any combat sport, he successfully defended it two times. In his latest Wrestling Observer newsletter, Dave Meltzer discusess Brock's legacy:

The next question is Lesnar’s legacy. Most have been positive about it. The reality is he was an amazing athlete who won the title despite inexperience and a long layoff from competitive sports, succeeding based on athletic ability and a lifetime of wrestling to beat some solid people at their own game.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
1/6/12 1:50:22PM
Prime Coleman and Barnett would mop the floor with his big carcass.

prophecy033
1/6/12 3:51:21PM
5-3 to me doesn't signify much of a legacy. Sure he was a huge draw and was a massive figure, I just don't hold him as an all-time great or a HOFer
Chael_Sonnen
1/6/12 4:06:04PM

Posted by prophecy033

5-3 to me doesn't signify much of a legacy. Sure he was a huge draw and was a massive figure, I just don't hold him as an all-time great or a HOFer

Yeah, the only thing that quantifies as a 'legacy' would be that sweet phallic tattoo.
ncordless
1/6/12 6:19:55PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Prime Coleman and Barnett would mop the floor with his big carcass.

Prime Coleman gets dummied by Lesnar. Barnett/Lesnar would have been interesting.
Kpro
1/6/12 7:01:01PM

Posted by prophecy033

UFC record for most consecutive Heavyweight title fight wins:

3 - Couture, Lesnar, Sylvia (In order of days they held the title during run)

Legacy may be the wrong word, but tied for the UFC record for most consecutive HW title fight wins, second longest HW title reign in history, and also the `only` HW fighter in UFC history to win 3 straight title fights by finish.

He had a short 4 year stay, but he set or tied so many records that I'd call him an all time great for the division without a doubt. And I don't like Lesnar.
mrsmiley
1/6/12 7:23:48PM
Brock's legacy I think is best defined probably as a guy who did as much possible in his division in the shortest amount of time possible.

1. He proved he was legit
2.Won the HW title
3.Defended that title
4. Made a nice little profit from the endevour.

I think the main problem, at least in my eyes is that instead of truly dedicated a career to the sport of MMA, he more or less had an abrupt one night stand with it and took it for all it was worth....... That's not really a bad thing but he ended somewhat on a sour note. He scored the booty but failed the final climax.................................. That's it for my sex metaphors in MMA.
DeadHead988
1/7/12 12:24:26AM
Other than Silvia, he wouldn't have a chance against any prior champs. Brock Lesnar's career consisted of 90% hype. Sorry Brock fans, but it's pretty much undeniable at this point.
Lesnar1
1/7/12 1:16:39AM
Brock I think would run through Former champs Arlovski, Sylvia, Coleman in their prime & has already beat Mir & Couture for the title. Fact is Brock came in did what most people on earth wouldn't have the ability to do, and that's with only 3 pro fights and very little mma experience win the ufc hw championship, defend it twice and being thrown in with the best in the world right off the bat. Which says wonders about the guys ability and athleticism. I think Lesnar impacted the hw division as no one has in history.
MMAcca
1/7/12 8:14:16AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Other than Silvia, he wouldn't have a chance against any prior champs. Brock Lesnar's career consisted of 90% hype. Sorry Brock fans, but it's pretty much undeniable at this point.

He never fought amateur or semi-pro.

He didn't spend years honing his skills in the lower leagues like 99% of fighters.

Brock stepped in at the deep end.

His career was most certainly not 'hype'.

Fact.
Boo_Radley21
1/7/12 9:33:11AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by prophecy033

UFC record for most consecutive Heavyweight title fight wins:

3 - Couture, Lesnar, Sylvia (In order of days they held the title during run)

Legacy may be the wrong word, but tied for the UFC record for most consecutive HW title fight wins, second longest HW title reign in history, and also the `only` HW fighter in UFC history to win 3 straight title fights by finish.

He had a short 4 year stay, but he set or tied so many records that I'd call him an all time great for the division without a doubt. And I don't like Lesnar.

Agree 100%. Except I'm a fan of Lesnar. I think there's no denying that Lesnar is one of the best heavyweights in history because of those reasons. And aside from the fact that he would beat most of the former champs in their primes, he'd also beat just about all the people ever to challenge for a title in their primes.
zephead
1/7/12 10:07:53AM
I'm not a Brock fan. I wanted him to lose when he first stepped into the cage. He came from that " fake" sport and I wanted him to lose. His first MMA fight was againt Kim Min- Soo. He then jumped right in with the big boys.

Think about it. He fought Mir and lost. He had Mir down and was pounding him when Herb stood them up. He took Mir down again and got submitted. How much submission training did he have? He then fought Heath Herring and dominated. He then beat Randy and took the belt. He then destroyed Mir.

Look at how long he was out of training and fighting for an illness, takes a beating from Carwin and comes back chokes Shane out. He then fights Cain and gets beat. He has to have another surgery, comes back and loses to Overeem.

He didn't fight a bunch of cans. Jumps right in with the big dogs, doesn't have years of training and leaves a lasting impression on the sport. All I can do is tip my hat to the man and wonder what it Brock had years under his belt in training.

Thank you Brock
bjj1605
1/8/12 12:56:25AM

Posted by zephead

I'm not a Brock fan. I wanted him to lose when he first stepped into the cage. He came from that " fake" sport and I wanted him to lose. His first MMA fight was againt Kim Min- Soo. He then jumped right in with the big boys.

Think about it. He fought Mir and lost. He had Mir down and was pounding him when Herb stood them up. He took Mir down again and got submitted. How much submission training did he have? He then fought Heath Herring and dominated. He then beat Randy and took the belt. He then destroyed Mir.

Look at how long he was out of training and fighting for an illness, takes a beating from Carwin and comes back chokes Shane out. He then fights Cain and gets beat. He has to have another surgery, comes back and loses to Overeem.

He didn't fight a bunch of cans. Jumps right in with the big dogs, doesn't have years of training and leaves a lasting impression on the sport. All I can do is tip my hat to the man and wonder what it Brock had years under his belt in training.

Thank you Brock

I agree.

And far from being a fan, I'm more of a hater.