Melendez Wants Aoki Next

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Melendez Wants Aoki Next
Next Page »
jae_1833
12/22/09 4:26:24PM
Vid Link At the 2:20 mark approx.

Shortly after regaining the Strikeforce lightweight title in an epic slugfest with Josh Thomson, Gilbert Melendez made it clear he's ready to take on all comers in his quest to prove that the promotion’s 155 pounders are world class. The first step down that path leads to Dream lightweight champion Shinya Aoki, said Melendez.

Speaking with Sherdog.com, Melendez discusses whom he wants next after his big win over Thomson. The sprawl and brawler also talks about the training and strategy that went into the victory that put the belt back around his waist for the first time in 18 months
karn501
12/22/09 6:11:03PM
IMO aoki would murder him
sbulldavid
12/22/09 7:33:12PM
I really think Aoki is over rated, but I'm biased because he's been stopped every time I've watched him.
warglory
12/22/09 9:26:44PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I really think Aoki is over rated, but I'm biased because he's been stopped every time I've watched him.

Shinya is very one dimensional, but he is so damn good at the one dimension that he could catch any lightweight out there, including BJ. I'd suggest checking out more of his fights for some damn fine BJJ work.
IriShame
12/22/09 11:57:15PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by sbulldavid

Shinya is very one dimensional, but he is so damn good at the one dimension that he could catch any lightweight out there, including BJ. I'd suggest checking out more of his fights for some damn fine BJJ work.

Sorry bud. Not B.J., not in this lifetime.
karn501
12/23/09 12:04:52AM

Posted by IriShame

Posted by warglory

Posted by sbulldavid

maybe but he would never be able to get bj down i dont think its possible unless youre gsp bj would knock him out IMO
jae_1833
12/23/09 12:48:41AM
BJ's ground game and Melendez's are in two far different stages, hench why I think that Aoki would take out Melendez but not BJ.
warglory
12/23/09 10:52:38PM

Posted by IriShame

Posted by warglory

Posted by sbulldavid

Aoki could definitely sub BJ man. Hell, Matt Hughes of all people put Penn in a crucifix. I know Penn is in his element at 155, but to say Aoki, one of the best ground fighters in modern MMA, has no chance of subbing Penn is a little extreme in my opinion.
jiujitsufreak74
12/24/09 1:40:43AM
Aoki has a chance of subbing anyone at anytime, and to say otherwise is a little ignorant. while it may not be likely that he would submit BJ, he certainly has the possibility.

anyway, Melendez ducked Aoki a few years ago and it is interesting to see him call him out now. barring the quick KO (which is Aoki's downfall) this should be a very entertaining match which would find Meledez walking the proverbial minefield as he tries to avoid bad positions with Aoki (much like Hansen did in the rubber match)
tepid55
12/24/09 7:38:41PM
I think Melendez would win under unified rules and I think Aoki would win under DREAM rules.
cmill21
12/24/09 8:05:16PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Melendez would win under unified rules and I think Aoki would win under DREAM rules.

Im not sure how Dream rules favour Aoki. Gilbert wrestles alot and I see him trying to stay standing, but Aoki has subbed alot of people and he would definetly pull guard and work from there. Toss up for me.
tepid55
12/25/09 8:07:33PM
Dream rules are the same as the pride fc rules.
warglory
12/25/09 8:50:02PM

Posted by tepid55

Dream rules are the same as the pride fc rules.

No they're not. No kicks or stomps to the head in DREAM.
bt155lbs
12/25/09 8:53:34PM
In my opinion your an idiot and have no idea what your talking about!
bt155lbs
12/25/09 8:54:34PM
That response was to karn501
bt155lbs
12/25/09 8:58:21PM
Gilberts sub defense is amazing, training with Shields and the Diaz brothers for years has made it so. His wrestling and striking are superior to Aokis so the way I see it its a great match up for Gil. But I could be biased since were training partners but correct me if Im wroing styles make fights and this is a good match up for Gil
bt155lbs
12/25/09 9:07:51PM
Jiujitsu freak what do you mean he dodged aoki? i dont know you, your not part of our team so you should watch how you word things. gilberts never dodged a challenge in his life, he was hurt and couldnt fight the one time they were almost paired up in pride. aokis a great match up, for gilbert. its hilarious to me all the internet warriors out there that say confrontational statements and have never fought. what makes you think he dodged aoki? hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!
warglory
12/25/09 10:39:26PM

Posted by bt155lbs

Jiujitsu freak what do you mean he dodged aoki? i dont know you, your not part of our team so you should watch how you word things. gilberts never dodged a challenge in his life, he was hurt and couldnt fight the one time they were almost paired up in pride. aokis a great match up, for gilbert. its hilarious to me all the internet warriors out there that say confrontational statements and have never fought. what makes you think he dodged aoki? hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a breather and enjoy your Christmas presents dude. Yeesh.
ry_dawg63
1/1/10 11:07:11PM
bt155lbs,
Don't worry homie! We all know gill would knock Aokis ass back to his little school girl days! If Ishida wasn't able to take gill down, i can't understand how anyone thinks Aoki is going to be able to! If Gill fights him smart, i can't see Aokis bitch-ass making it pass round two! He has next to no stand up, so Gill would just sit back and pick him apart! Don't let these Internet warriors get to you.
jiujitsufreak74
1/1/10 11:46:13PM

Posted by bt155lbs

internet warriors. get of your high horse man, you aren't talking to some idiot. to think aoki is a good match up for gilbert is quite bold to say the least. his offensive submission game is unlike any other. the diaz brothers and jake shields don't have the same skill set as Aoki and would not really prepare melendez for Aoki. what makes me think he dodged Aoki? he backed out out of their fight 3 years ago set for Pride Shockwave 2006 and never claimed to be injured or give any other reasons. plus he fought on that same card against Kawajiri...
jiujitsufreak74
1/1/10 11:48:11PM

Posted by ry_dawg63

bt155lbs,
Don't worry homie! We all know gill would knock Aokis ass back to his little school girl days! If Ishida wasn't able to take gill down, i can't understand how anyone thinks Aoki is going to be able to! If Gill fights him smart, i can't see Aokis bitch-ass making it pass round two! He has next to no stand up, so Gill would just sit back and pick him apart! Don't let these Internet warriors get to you.

maybe because he was able to get down better grapplers than Melendez, such as Alvarez and Nagata. just because someone doesnt have a traditional double leg shot doesnt mean they dont have good takedowns. it amazes me how underrated Aoki's take downs are since he keeps proving he has them time in a and time out
ry_dawg63
1/2/10 12:14:54AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by ry_dawg63

bt155lbs,

maybe because he was able to get down better grapplers than Melendez, such as Alvarez and Nagata. just because someone doesnt have a traditional double leg shot doesnt mean they dont have good takedowns. it amazes me how underrated Aoki's take downs are since he keeps proving he has them time in a and time out

This is the second time i've read a post from jiujitsufreak74 claiming Gills ducked Aoki. Like my boy already siad, you don't train with us. So you have no idea what the **** your talking about! Gills never ducked anyone! He had been on a mean streek winning his first two fights in pride and then a fight for SF at the play boy mansion when he busted up his hand bad, after beating obiya and Gabe Lemley and then the third ranked fighter in the world at the time in kawajiri. He then got offerd the Aoki fight after beating Lemley with a broken hand and never complained about it,but he was no where near fighting shape or condition for that fight due to injury! he then ended up fighting Ishdia on a later card! Thats not ducking someone. Thats being smart! You want to talk about ducking, look at Aoki. He was suppose to fight the second ranked Japanese fighter Kawajiri,( who Gill already beat) but pulled out for whatever reasons and then fights the 37th ranked Japanese fighter on the same card! So next time get your facts straight before running you mouth buddy!!

PS Jake placed thrid at ADCC that pretty much places him third in the world. i think that would put him a head of Aoki as a grappler
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 2
mrsmiley
1/2/10 5:46:40AM

Posted by ry_dawg63

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by ry_dawg63

bt155lbs,

This is the second time i've read a post from jiujitsufreak74 claiming Gills ducked Aoki. Like my boy already siad, you don't train with us. So you have no idea what the **** your talking about! Gills never ducked anyone! He had been on a mean streek winning his first two fights in pride and then a fight for SF at the play boy mansion when he busted up his hand bad, after beating obiya and Gabe Lemley and then the third ranked fighter in the world at the time in kawajiri. He then got offerd the Aoki fight after beating Lemley with a broken hand and never complained about it,but he was no where near fighting shape or condition for that fight due to injury! he then ended up fighting Ishdia on a later card! Thats not ducking someone. Thats being smart! You want to talk about ducking, look at Aoki. He was suppose to fight the second ranked Japanese fighter Kawajiri,( who Gill already beat) but pulled out for whatever reasons and then fights the 37th ranked Japanese fighter on the same card! So next time get your facts straight before running you mouth buddy!!

PS Jake placed thrid at ADCC that pretty much places him third in the world. i think that would put him a head of Aoki as a grappler

Respect.
ry_dawg63
1/2/10 12:37:44PM
thanks mrsmiley. i finally found out what jiujitsufreak74's problem was. he picked Ishida over gill, and thompson, and picked Mayhem over Jake. he's only scored 15 points on his last two SF cards.(thanks to my team)awe, its ok little buddy! Don't worry. you could always come out here to train with the best! Skrappack, American jiu-jitsu, Cersar Graice fight team baby!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
hate4thestate
1/2/10 5:44:38PM
reading this is ridiculous this isnt a war of whos ass your friends can beat. i love shields and gil but aoki poses a very potential threat to anyone. shields diazs ground game is great but i dont think it will match up well with aokis. that of course being said its gonna have to get to the ground and im still not sure if aoki could get melendez to the ground. but saying gilbert would steamroll aoki is not the smartest choice or words. aoki can sub anyone but its just a matter of how the fight plays out. i understand u train with him but theres no need to be up in arms like there is a consipracy against melendez. what happened to intellectual honesty?

i think i would go with melendez in that fight tho. melendez has great power and pretty nice hands and his tdd seems excellent. thomson couldnt get him down last fight and thats impressive. but aoki is a constant threat and if gilbert makes a mistake one of his bones will be broken.
NatedawgThaM
1/2/10 6:31:15PM

Posted by warglory

No they're not. No kicks or stomps to the head in DREAM.

Yeah if they were the same, Aoki would be screwed IMO. Not because of Melendez, but with anybody that'd be a huge danger for him but he definitely could still be the man, just a huge disadvantage for him being a bottom guy like he is.

Posted by cmill21

Im not sure how Dream rules favour Aoki. Gilbert wrestles alot and I see him trying to stay standing, but Aoki has subbed alot of people and he would definetly pull guard and work from there. Toss up for me.

Same, I don't know who to pick. IMO Aoki's BJJ is on a whole other level then Jake Shields. To say Shields is better is absolutely ridiculous. He has a very good top game, his bottom game decent, but he's not world class IMO. Aoki's crafty and pulls off the most amazing submissions out of nowhere, every positions a bad one with Aoki. I could see him tapping Melendez at any time. But I have become a fan of Melendez, he's gotten a lot better since the lost to Thompson. So I definitely could see him pounding Aoki out. So IDK. Probably be safe and go with Aoki.

jiujitsufreak74
1/3/10 8:45:43PM
just because you train with you guy doesn't mean anything. actually, it means you are at even worse position to say anything since you are incredibly biased. you guys can't look past your friendship with GIlbert, who is a very talented fighter that i do have respect for. it is just that it was a big commodity a few years ago that he ducked Aoki because he wound up fighting ont he same card he was supposed to fight Aoki on. whatever though, i just cant wait for this fight to happen and if Aoki loses i'll admit i was wrong.
ry_dawg63
1/4/10 12:03:56AM

Posted by hate4thestate

reading this is ridiculous this isnt a war of whos ass your friends can beat. i love shields and gil but aoki poses a very potential threat to anyone. shields diazs ground game is great but i dont think it will match up well with aokis. that of course being said its gonna have to get to the ground and im still not sure if aoki could get melendez to the ground. but saying gilbert would steamroll aoki is not the smartest choice or words. aoki can sub anyone but its just a matter of how the fight plays out. i understand u train with him but theres no need to be up in arms like there is a conspiracy against Melendez. what happened to intellectual honesty?

i think i would go with Melendez in that fight tho. Melendez has great power and pretty nice hands and his tdd seems excellent. Thomson couldn't get him down last fight and thats impressive. but aoki is a constant threat and if Gilbert makes a mistake one of his bones will be broken.

this has nothing to do with being friends with anyone. yes im friends with Gill and Jake, but that has noting to due with why i reacted the way i did to jiujitsufreak74s post. Gill and Jake are my coaches. i train with them. respect them, and even look up to them. its one thing for some one to say they think Aoki would beat gill, or Aoki is a better grappler then Jake. i have another opinion about that, but thats Fine. but for someone to say that my coach ducked Aoki back in 06 when he has no idea what he's talking about, better expect me to correct him. look gill has never ducked anyone! he's saying that Gill ducked Aoki and then fought kawajiri on that shock-wave card. Aoki wasn't even ranked in the top five back then. Kawajiri was ranked number three at that time. so let me get this straight. Gill ducked the number, what let just say eighth ranked fighter at the time in Aoki. to fight the number third ranked fighter at the time in (kawajiri). that makes no since! this is how it went down. and i train with him so i think i would know better then the supposed rumors floating around the MMA community. Gill beat Obiya his first fight in pride. then he fought Kawajiri in pride Shockwave 06 beating him as well. then since he was under dule contract with pride and strike force he fought Lamley at the play boy mansion. he got injured in that fight but never complained about it openly. he was then offered that fight with Aoki. which he turn down because he had been injured in his previous fight and wasn't ready to compete quit yet. then he took the fight with Ishdia which was his first lost! so to some this all up, if someone is going to claim that my coach ducked someone, then they better be able to back that **** up, because i don't know how you do it, but we don't take disrespect to our coaches lightly!
And on another note just to reply to you hate4thestate, im not saying that Melendez would steamroll Aoki. i know Aoki has amazing subs, although i think Jake and nick would beat him in a submissions match, but i think Gill would keep the fight standing, avoid the clinch, and work his counters well. i know we will all just have to wait and see. but i can tell you one thing, Gill is more then willing to make that fight happen, lets just see if Aoki is!
NeaRMisS
1/4/10 10:16:51AM
This thread was good morning entertainment. Reminded me of my dad can beat up your dad talk when you were 5.

Everyone here is happy you train with the guys, really we are. Just dont go jumping down peoples throat claiming they are keyboard warrior and have never trained before. Just cause they dont announce it to the world, or show of pictures of them training with people doesn't mean they haven't trained or are training at the moment.

Finally, if you think Aoki and shields are on the same level of subs... to say you are biased is just a little off base.

PS, to keep this thread fun and clean... my dad can beat up your dad!
ry_dawg63
1/4/10 11:29:06AM

Posted by NeaRMisS

This thread was good morning entertainment. Reminded me of my dad can beat up your dad talk when you were 5.

Everyone here is happy you train with the guys, really we are. Just dont go jumping down peoples throat claiming they are keyboard warrior and have never trained before. Just cause they dont announce it to the world, or show of pictures of them training with people doesn't mean they haven't trained or are training at the moment.

Finally, if you think Aoki and shields are on the same level of subs... to say you are biased is just a little off base.

PS, to keep this thread fun and clean... my dad can beat up your dad!

if you took the time to actually read WTF i wrote, you would know that my post has nothing to do with being friends with anyone! i do more then train with Gill, Jake, Nick, and Nate. i actually fight and compete under them as as well! they are my coaches, and instructors. im sorry but i will not let some Internet warriors talk **** and run there mouths about my coaches. like i said before if your a fan of Aoki, thats fine i really don't care if you like someone who dresses up like a fag! but if anyone disrespects my coaches, you better bet im going to set them straight!

Finally, Jake placed third at adcc, that pretty much place him around third in the would at his weight as a submissions grappler. WTF has Aoki placed at any top level grappling tournament? if you think Aoki would sub Jake your a fool!

PS just cause you trained one day in you life at a shitty little hole in the wall Jiu-jitsu school doesn't give you the right to run you mouth about real fighters! so heres a heads up, you better actually think about the **** your talking before running you mouth, or expect to get checked!
Pages: [1] 2