How would Melendez-Thompson do in the UFC???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How would Melendez-Thompson do in the UFC???
NatedawgThaM
12/20/09 7:04:24PM
Amazing fight last night in there rematch, and both are very dangerous legit lightweights but how would they do among the elite UFC lightweights? I think they would make for some sick sick matchups. I think Josh Thompson goes as far as his record says he should go. He lost to Guida so I think he could make it up to a UFC gatekeeper like Guida, and have an amazing fight with guys like him or Diego, Florian but most likely lose. Melendez I think has the best shot because hes so well rounded and has shown so much improvement after those losses to Ishida and Thompson. I think he could get past Guida and maybe get very close to a title shot. But I dont know if he could beat Kenny, Sherk, or Diego to get to BJ but he would make for some amazing fights!!!

Your thoughts?
bojangalz
12/20/09 7:30:51PM
I don't see one doing any better then the other. Last night was Melendez' night, but I think it had a lot to do with the long layoff for Thompson. If both fighters had an equal amount of cage time in the last two years I think the fight of have likely gone the other way (not by a wide margine though).

I don't see either of them getting past the Nate Diaz/Clay Guida level of the UFC. But that's not to say they shouldn't get the chance. Both are clearly durable fighters who are fun to watch and always bring the fight. I'd never scoff at the chace to see them scrap inside the octagon.
postman
12/20/09 8:14:49PM
These boys are getting a big spotlight where they are and I agree with bo where they would be in the UFC. Now (and thanks Nate for making the thread) The more BJ Penn proves to be unbeatable at 155 as fighter contracts come will we see the Deigos of the UFC say hey I can so to Strikeforce make some good coin be showcased on CBS (sponsership dollars)? The same can be said for the Welterweight divisions. MW LHW and HW have Hendo Fedor GM (no need to butcher spelling) so thinking jumping ship at those weights might not put you on top.
karn501
12/20/09 9:17:14PM

Posted by postman

These boys are getting a big spotlight where they are and I agree with bo where they would be in the UFC. Now (and thanks Nate for making the thread) The more BJ Penn proves to be unbeatable at 155 as fighter contracts come will we see the Deigos of the UFC say hey I can so to Strikeforce make some good coin be showcased on CBS (sponsership dollars)? The same can be said for the Welterweight divisions. MW LHW and HW have Hendo Fedor GM (no need to butcher spelling) so thinking jumping ship at those weights might not put you on top.

I've been thinking that a lot how much can the divisions be dominated in the ufc before people go to strikeforce because not too many people want to fight bj or gsp or silva anymore.

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
12/20/09 11:04:47PM
Melendez already wooped Guida for 5 rounds . Gilbert has improved more drastically then Guida has since that fight . Gilbert dominates a rematch and would have a good shot at beating anyone in the division not named bj penn . Josh has won every fight besides that amazing kick by yves , a 5 round decision to guida and that melendez rematch . Josh has also improved 10 fold compared guida since their fight . Either guy would have a good chance at beating everyone in the ufc , the wrestlers giving the toughest stylistic matchup , would love to see how maynard , griffin , edgar , sherk all match up . Realistically, I would like to see josh fight masvidal or joachim and gilbert fight Aoki .
Gipper
12/21/09 10:06:53PM
both would and can compete with any of the ufc lw's
melendez - i think one of, if not the only lw in the world that could hang with penn. i'd put him in the top 5 in the ufc lw division without even having a fight in the show and top 10 in the world hands down.
thompson- he's a threat to anyone in the world at lw, he mixes his wrestling and standup better then most. top 10 in the ufc lw division for sure and maybe even the world.