Measuring Reach

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Measuring Reach
Rush
8/15/07 3:05:39PM
I'm not sure if this should go in the training section or not, but...

How the heck does the UFC measure reach advantage? I mean, I always thought reach was the extension of one's arm from their body. I vaguely recall reaches were usually in the 30 inches or so, which made sense for the average size person.

However, in UFC tales of the tape you can see that reach is in the sixties or seventies of inches. How do they come up with these numbers?

1) At first I thought that they just measured fingertip to fingertip, but then thought that a) this doesn't make sense since it's more like looking at height, b) these guys are not gauging with their fingers, but punching and finally c) there are guys that are less than 6' tall reported having over 72" reaches. That just doesn't make sense to me since most peoples height is close to their fingertip to fingertip length.

2) I then thought that maybe they are measuring the distance from the back foot to the end of the fist (like in a jab stance). Why would they do this though? A longer leg would just put your head closer to your opponent in that case.

3) Or could they be measuring the absolute reach that includes kicks? But if this is the case then why do they talk about Tito's reach advantage in the guard?

Any thoughts on this or does any one know the answer for real?
thepunisher
8/15/07 3:17:16PM
it is finger tip to finger tip, it is close to people height but some people such as my self have monkey arms or so my friends tell me. me standing up straight my arms at my side they almost reach my knees i have a 76 inch reach i am only 5'11.

Isn't that weird(insert dutch accent)
Jackelope
8/15/07 3:18:22PM
Only thing I could find was people saying it's fingertip to fingertip across the back and shoulders. Then there were a few more saying it was knuckle to knuckle across the back and shoulders.

No definitive answers. It'd be nice to find out, though
cowcatcher
8/15/07 3:20:10PM
i on the other hand have tyrannasaurus arms and my reach is 2 inches shorter than my height, but yeah its a wingspan that they use to measure it with across the back from tip to tip
pv3Hpv3p
8/15/07 4:15:39PM
does anyone know where / how to find out a fighter's reach?

Specifically Thiago Alves... I remember watching him in I think it was the DeSouza fight, and they said his reach was something rediculous for his height... I don't even want to say the number I remember, but I am curious in finding out.

Andy help would be appreciated
Rush
8/15/07 4:45:39PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

does anyone know where / how to find out a fighter's reach?

Specifically Thiago Alves... I remember watching him in I think it was the DeSouza fight, and they said his reach was something rediculous for his height... I don't even want to say the number I remember, but I am curious in finding out.

Andy help would be appreciated

Anything short of looking at some older events, I don't know. Then again they aren't always correct either. I recall Royce Gracie's MMA record was 11-0 at UFC 60 (ish)

As for the reach being fingertip to fingertip. That really doesn't make sense if you are punching. I have really long arms and short fingers with big palms. A guy with similar length arms and palm size, but 'normal' fingers would look like he has a half inch advantage, but really that wouldn't be the case when it came to punching... now eye gouging (ahem BJ Penn) would be different.

IMO they should measure the distance from a fighter's chin to the tip of their first and second knuckles and that should be their reach.
cowcatcher
8/15/07 4:49:48PM
just checked the dvr and it was listed at 77"
MoJoy
8/15/07 6:52:18PM
They measure reach from your arms spread out, fingertip to fingertip. However this is not your true reach, first of all we dont fight sideway. Real reach should be simply standing, extending your arm, measuring finger tip to shoulder. For example, Sherk and Hermes have the same reach, as it is measured. But Sherk, has some short a ss, arms. And Hermes arms look longer, but Sherk is very wide, so his shoulders, is where he gets the same number from. So on paper, they have the identical reach, But this is not accurate, cause once again, your not sideways when you fight, and Hermes has the longer arms, so he has the real nautral reach.
bayonetxwork
8/15/07 9:16:23PM
Everyone knows UFC stats are horribly wrong.