Are you only meant to lift weights once a week?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Are you only meant to lift weights once a week?
bigblair
9/17/07 3:05:24AM
i have a mate that used to be a personal trainer apparently, he talks a lot of BS so wasnt sure wether to believe him, but he tells me that i should do weights 3 times a week but focus on different groups, ie arms and back monday, legs wednesday etc., but i always thought you had to work the same muscle group 3 times a week to feel a benefit, any help would be really appreciated, many thanks
Twenty20Dollars
9/17/07 7:31:19AM
i mean everyone is going to have a different way of doing things.
Mastodon2
9/17/07 7:50:23AM
I think Le Banner does it like that, only working each muscle group once a week but spreading it over 3 days. I suppose its worked for him, he was always going to be a HW in K-1's unlimited weight HW division, so he probably just decided to beef up and become a tank.

That said, it all depends on what your goal is. For fighters with strict weight classes, like in Muay Thai (a new division every 4 or 5lbs) and it can affect where you are fighting, as you will obviously gain weight when you blow your muscles up. Better to be heavy with muscle than heavy with fat though!
bigblair
9/17/07 7:58:27AM
cheers guys, my aim is to become strong but also have good endurance in my muscles
fullerene
9/17/07 8:19:43AM
The more you research on this, the more confused you'll get...everything from people trying to do full-body workouts every day for short intervals to Mike Mentzer's heavy duty one-set per body part workout.

The most common routines will hit body parts twice a week....typically a 3 day split (push, pull, legs) performed twice in a week with a day off. But depending on how intense your workouts are, what type of disposition you have for recovery and what you're doing besides lifting (something like kickboxing or TKD would work your legs quite a bit for example) then this might not be right for you. Best to start with a standard routine and then modify it based on the results.
Stickan
9/17/07 8:46:16AM
Most guys I know break their lifting down to 4 times a week, drilling different muscle groups every time.

Right now my training and lifting routine looks like this.

Monday - Chest, Shoulders
Tuesday - MMA training
Wednesday - MMA training
Thursday - Biceps, Triceps
Friday - Back, Trapz
Saturday - MMA training
Sunday - Legs, abs and/or MMA training

This way I'm not overtraining any muscle group. The only proplem I see is that biceps and back day are next to each other but I can't do it any other way.
Rush
9/17/07 9:05:27AM
When I used to do weights I would spread the muscle groups out over the week doing each one about once a week, except abs which I did 3-4 times a week.

Later, I would do that, but focus on one muscle group. That is, each week I would focus on (say for example) my chest and did that an extra 2-3 times a week. That helped beef me up a little, but I found it tough to get a full recovery and felt that I couldn't be that productive in the gym by the end of the week.

I don't do weights now. I only do plyometrics. I do one day a week each for abs, legs and upper body (3 days total) and give myself lots of rest. I am stronger than I was ever before and even dropped 5 lbs in weight. My workouts are only 45min -1 hr instead of (what they used to be) 2 hr and I use the extra time saved to sleep more. The extra sleep alone helped me a lot.

That seemed to work for me, but everyone seems to have different results and goals.
loonytnt
9/17/07 11:19:01AM
make up a workout and see if it works for you, the more you lift the more your body will no what it needs
jocka
9/17/07 12:08:48PM
To be honest you need to be more specific about your goals. Do you want to gain muscla mass or fo you want to loose fat? how many time do you do mma a week? Do you do cardio? When in the day do you plan about working out?

# times the same muscle group a week is way too much you will rapidly overtrain if you never trained before, in a couple of years when you are used to it its ok but now you should do every muscles group one a week. My schedule is as follows :

In the morning before work, about 1 hour each workout

Monday = Chest and Shoulder
Tuesday = Legs and Abs
Wenesday = off
Thursday = Biceps and Triceps
Friday = Back and Abs
Saturday = off
Sunday = off

In the evening after work, about 3 hours

Monday = MMA Training
Tuesday = off
Wenesday = MMA training
Thursday = off
Friday = MMA training
Saturday = off
Sunday = off

I want to add boxing classes only on tuesday and thursday for an hour or an hours and a half. I have plenty of time since i dont have a wife or kids lol.
Jackelope
9/17/07 1:34:31PM
Lately I've switched to working out with weights 4 times a week. (8 times every 14 days is more the cycle) I also do 2 cardio/athletic drill sessions a week. So it looks like 8 days working out with weights, 4 days doing athletic workouts every 14 days. Currently I'm not training in a martial arts capacity since I just got out of the military and I've got a lot of things in normal life to straighten out before I get put in a one on one matchup with somebody.

I've done all kinds of workouts from 6 days a week to 3 days a week, to 7 days a week to 0 days a week. I can tell you that as long as you're doing SOMETHING, and you're doing that something in a healthy capacity it's beneficial to you. The number one thing is CONSISTENCY. That's right, coming from the guy who has worked out every way under the sun I'm telling you that nothing matters like consistency. That's consistency in eating, consistency in working out, consistency in supplements, and consistency in SLEEP. I've always had my best results when I stuck with a program in a disciplined manner for at least 3 months.

If you were to workout a small amount of times during the weeks, personally I would suggest exercises that involve multiple muscle groups. You don't want to work out twice a week doing curls and calf raisers. You've got to get all of your muscles involved. I'm sure everyone here has seen the "pull ups, bench, squats" workouts, and those are the kinds of multiple muscle group workouts you need to be doing if you're going to rarely hit the gym. It makes no sense to beef up just your biceps or just your calves.

NOW, after saying all of that I'd say you'd gain more benefit from working with weights at least 2 or 3 days a week than you could with just one day a week. Depending on what you're doing for those other 6 days, of course. If you're training hard those other days I don't see it being a problem. If you aint doing chit, then yeah.. it'd be my personal opinion that you're not doing enough.
danny81
9/17/07 3:51:18PM
i think your freind means, push pull legs

mon=push=tricep, chest, shoulders etc
weds= pull=back, biceps, etc
fri=legs
fedorwins1
9/17/07 4:52:05PM

Posted by danny81

fri=legs

Dude I just realized you've been a member since June and you haven't picked any fights.

WHY?
szucconi
9/17/07 4:54:58PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by danny81

fri=legs

Dude I just realized you've been a member since June and you haven't picked any fights.

WHY?

he picked one fight in the secondary league.

He picked Robbie Lawler by Split Dec over Ninja. He got the winner at least.
danny81
9/17/07 5:41:15PM
lol i have no idea how to do it i got to the section once and voted and then couldkt figure out how to get backn lol

Edit: i also dont follow to much mma besides the UFC so im not to good at voting. i am mainly here to discuss fighiting in MMA
madmarck
9/17/07 8:10:22PM
Here is what i do
Workout 4 days in a row then rest one day
1st day Back/Triceps
2nd day Chest/Biceps
3rd dat Legs/Forearms
4th day Shoulders
And Abs every day after doing all the above.
I got a Bodybuilding book by Arnold (terminator) and he says it is better to concentrate on a single muscle group for a day then doing 3 general workouts a week.
Its a good read. Its called "The New encyclopedia of bodybuilding" its more or less about working out and exercises.
Jackelope
9/17/07 9:02:26PM

Posted by madmarck

I got a Bodybuilding book by Arnold (terminator) and he says it is better to concentrate on a single muscle group for a day then doing 3 general workouts a week.

I have the encyclopedia of body building. To summarize the whole book into that sentence is seriously misleading about what Arnold says in the book. That is a mere section of a massive book filled with vast amounts of information about what is best for certain results. Arnold talks about so many different ways to work out in that book... you're doing him a serious disservice by posting that quote.

Not to mention the fact that information about working out has changed a lot since that book has come out. Or the fact that the information you posted is about a workout for body building and not one for MMA training.

There's a lot of things I could bring up, but I'm an avid Arnold bodybuilding fan and I don't appreciate the disservice done to him
Pitbull09
9/17/07 11:18:16PM
Idk about that, it depends what your shooting for. I mean I don;t see much benifit from lifting for each part once a week, that might maintain the muscle you have i guess. I like the system where you rest certian parts each day but you should at least work them twice. I personally do 5 days working everything and I think its the way to go if you stay motivated and intense in work outs. Watch if you get alittle swore in an area though to avoid a bigger injury to ruin everything/
madmarck
9/21/07 8:12:19AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by madmarck

I have the encyclopedia of body building. To summarize the whole book into that sentence is seriously misleading about what Arnold says in the book. That is a mere section of a massive book filled with vast amounts of information about what is best for certain results. Arnold talks about so many different ways to work out in that book... you're doing him a serious disservice by posting that quote.

Not to mention the fact that information about working out has changed a lot since that book has come out. Or the fact that the information you posted is about a workout for body building and not one for MMA training.

There's a lot of things I could bring up, but I'm an avid Arnold bodybuilding fan and I don't appreciate the disservice done to him

I was try to summarize. And yeah its a 800 page book so thats hard to do.
He does have more intense programs in that book on a 3 day cycle and then another level up on a 2 day cycle. But since this guy is starting off i decided to give him a easier (but still effective routine).
Jackelope
9/21/07 12:44:26PM
My bad, man.. I wasn't trying to diss. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that the encyclopedia of body building has a TON of information within it.
madmarck
9/21/07 7:54:12PM

Posted by Jackelope

My bad, man.. I wasn't trying to diss. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that the encyclopedia of body building has a TON of information within it.

No prob man. And that book is fricking amazing. Just for the sheer amount of exercises for every part of the body and what they work that book is worth the money.
FYI guys this book is called the encyclopedia of bodybuilding but most of it is on fitness overall like working out, Nutriton, Reps, workouts, sets. There is stuff on posing and for competition on bodybuilding, and a lot of picutres of guys flexing (all bodybuilders, just looking at the book makes you wanna work out).

But guys for $40 Canadian taxes in and a book that is like 800 pages and is the size of a sears catalogue you cannot go wrong.