Most meaningful non-UFC fight since Pride folded?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Most meaningful non-UFC fight since Pride folded?
fullerene
3/12/08 5:19:09PM
Despite all of the free-agent talent that was left over from the dissolution of Pride, very few dream matches have happened IMO outside of the UFC in the last year or so. What match featured the best available non-UFC fighters in their weight classes?

I'd go with Kawajir-Azeredo. Misaki-Akiyama and Shamrock-Baroni were pretty good matchups as well.
fedorwins1
3/12/08 5:24:21PM
Ishida-Melendez
mrliquid
3/12/08 5:28:24PM
Yea I liked Shamrock vs Baroni I thought it was pretty good

juanez13
3/12/08 5:32:57PM
has yet to happen, but very soon, which will probably be the best (in my mind), is Aoki Vs JZ, a the GP alone will be one of the biggest things outside of the UFC right now. Kawajiri/Azeredo are defenately up there, same with Barone/shamrock and Misaki/Akiyama.
seanfu
3/12/08 5:36:23PM
I was thinking something along the lines of Kimbo- Mercer, Bennett -Noons
Pookie
3/12/08 5:51:32PM
So far Misaki vs. Akiyama, both hands down top tens. Arguably top 5's

Soon to come: Gesias Calvancante(#2) vs. Shinya Aoki(#4).
pv3Hpv3p
3/12/08 6:05:54PM

Posted by Pookie

^^^^ what he said ^^^^
disorderlyvision
3/12/08 6:31:48PM
lawler v trigg was a decent fight from what i remember
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/13/08 12:01:14AM
Koscheck vs Sanchez
BlazinSaddle
3/13/08 12:32:14AM

Posted by mrliquid

Yea I liked Shamrock vs Baroni I thought it was pretty good

i was gonna say that, only because it was on PPV and not some network i have to subscribe to or some overseas event i cant order

HDnet booooo
Mayhem13
3/13/08 1:01:56AM
Ninja vs Lawler was a good one
Ishida vs Melendez
Swanson vs Pulver
also
Linland and Fedor (although it was a big size difference)
hippysmacker
3/13/08 2:36:41AM

Posted by Pookie

I think Melendez/shiad was more meaningful for me, but 100% agree that GZ/Aoki is the best coming. I think that fight could headline any card anywhere.
NatedawgThaM
3/13/08 7:42:09AM
One of these...

Tank-Kimbo since that was the biggest marketable fight since Pride Folded or Dennis Kang-Akiyama
Lawler-Ninja
Fedor-Hung Man Choi(Fedor's big return)
Baroni-Shamrock

but I think we can all agree JZ Calvan-Shinya Akoi will surpass all these fights. Or even Barnett-Fedor will be sick and everybody will love that #1 vs #3 HW's and Then Fedor-Cro Cop 2

Rush
3/13/08 8:20:55AM
Royce Gracie vs Kazushi Sakuraba 2
fedorwins1
3/13/08 10:09:16AM

Posted by Rush

Both legends, but not sure how that was meaningful. Both are pretty old and no where near the top 10. Royce was on steroids so it wasn't exactly a fair fight either.
pv3Hpv3p
3/13/08 11:17:15AM
I'll throw Shaolin / JZ into the mix... It was short and sweet, but one of the most anticipated LW bouts out there before it happened
fullerene
3/13/08 1:33:25PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I'll throw Shaolin / JZ into the mix... It was short and sweet, but one of the most anticipated LW bouts out there before it happened

Good one. That might top my list now that you brought it up.
Rush
3/13/08 1:45:12PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by Rush

Both legends, but not sure how that was meaningful. Both are pretty old and no where near the top 10. Royce was on steroids so it wasn't exactly a fair fight either.

I guess it depends on your definition of meaningful. I looked at it from the standpoint of interest rather than how it affects rankings/titles. The TS used the phrase "dream match" so that's what I went with. I looked at it from the perspective of the history and all that was riding on the fight with respect avenging losses or maintaining legacies.

As for the steroids, come on, I think the question was geared more toward the hype of the fight rather than afterward. Similarly with how the fight pans out, I think, does not necessarily justify a "dream match"

As for not being in the top ten, I agree totally, but I don't think there are any fights listed in this thread where both fighters were ranked top ten.... at least not on this site.

....well there's my justification.
fedorwins1
3/13/08 1:57:56PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by Rush

I guess it depends on your definition of meaningful. I looked at it from the standpoint of interest rather than how it affects rankings/titles. The TS used the phrase "dream match" so that's what I went with. I looked at it from the perspective of the history and all that was riding on the fight with respect avenging losses or maintaining legacies.

As for the steroids, come on, I think the question was geared more toward the hype of the fight rather than afterward. Similarly with how the fight pans out, I think, does not necessarily justify a "dream match"

As for not being in the top ten, I agree totally, but I don't think there are any fights listed in this thread where both fighters were ranked top ten.... at least not on this site.

....well there's my justification.

Alright I understand, I just took it as the fight that meant most in rankings, etc.