McFedries Staph Infection-Worse Than Randleman's?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » McFedries Staph Infection-Worse Than Randleman's?
DCRage
4/14/08 2:44:16PM
Maybe not, but according to Mania it was just as bad. Don't know when he had it, it only says recently. I didn't even know he had one.

Link

WARNING: Rather gross picture. Not for the squeamish. (Partly why I chose to post the link to the page and not post the pictures directly, so you can choose for yourself whether or not to look)
rabbit915
4/14/08 4:32:00PM
Why did i look? You said it was gross but i just had to look anyway.
p_unit23
4/14/08 4:38:23PM
that is FUKCING NASTY!!
warglory
4/14/08 5:23:46PM
How is it possible to let something get that bad before treating it? I mean come on. That is actually sad. Drew is a professional athlete and now he will be sidelined for awhile just so he can repair the damage already done which could have been prevented.
Red-Dragon
4/14/08 5:27:30PM
Might be a dumb question but....Why do so many suffer from this in MMA?
nickcuc547
4/14/08 5:30:11PM
ouch, i dont envy either of them.
warglory
4/14/08 5:35:39PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Might be a dumb question but....Why do so many suffer from this in MMA?

Because the gym they are training at don't disinfect the mats they are rolling around on, or the guys they are rolling/sparring with don't clean themselves enough. Staph is a bacteria and can be easily controlled in a relatively clean environment.
Jackelope
4/14/08 6:27:20PM
I really gotta call into question some of the cleanliness of these gyms. I wrestled for 4 years in High School and have been in and out of martial arts gyms since then (7 years later) and in all that time I've only seen a couple cases of inphantaigo and ringworm. Never once have I seen a staph infection get this bad in all of those locations. For the longest time I paid my way through one of my schools by cleaning the school every morning. Using a proper dilution of bleach and disenfactants led us to never once have a problem of this nature in several years.

Anyway, get better Drew. He's one of my favorite fighters and between the death of his mother and now a staph infection it's been a rough year for him.
blkssncpt
4/14/08 8:02:31PM
i think this might be a repost.... thats y McFedries was out for so long before his fight with Cote, because of that sick ass staph infection. GROSS!!!! anyways that happens becuz gyms dont clean there training mats properly after training.

BTW: i think Randleman's was way worst than Drew's i mean u can basically see Randleman's muscle structure in that picture...

-Rob
DJDark41
4/14/08 9:04:15PM
McFedries was gross...but you could poke Randleman's guts...
johnnybravo
4/15/08 8:54:04AM
there goes my lunch.

johnnybravo
4/15/08 9:00:06AM
What are the early signs of this infection? did Diego Sanchez not have a hole appear on his leg over night after fighting koschek?
gsquat
4/15/08 10:02:41AM
That shouldn't happen. Obviously performance affecting.
DCRage
4/15/08 10:35:54AM

Posted by blkssncpt

i think this might be a repost.... thats y McFedries was out for so long before his fight with Cote, because of that sick ass staph infection. GROSS!!!! anyways that happens becuz gyms dont clean there training mats properly after training.

BTW: i think Randleman's was way worst than Drew's i mean u can basically see Randleman's muscle structure in that picture...

-Rob

One thing I've noticed lately that's sort of related to this is that it's not just limited to MMA. It's becoming a problem in the NFL-a Cleveland Browns player just became the 6th guy on the team to get one. So it's apparently not just gyms.
Aaronno9
4/15/08 3:58:26PM
Man, thats pretty sick. So what does staph actually do? just kill the skin or somthing?
bls1919
4/15/08 8:47:48PM
My ? is how does it get so bad before anything is done about it. Or does it happen very quickly?
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/16/08 9:06:49PM
I've had ring worm and impetigo many many times from wrestling...but never staph.