The Way It Is And Not Much Else (Mayweather-Sherk)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The Way It Is And Not Much Else (Mayweather-Sherk)
zephead
5/6/07 9:46:02AM
Saturday night marks the return to the ring of Oscar de la Hoya as he defends his 154lb. title against super arrogant yet super-talented Floyd Mayweather Jr. in one of boxing’s only “mega fights” in recent memory.

LINK
DevMahon
5/6/07 2:30:03PM
It gets said all the time on the forums, but it's interesting to read it in an article. I have to say, there are even more things stacked against Mayweather in this fight than that writer mentioned. For instance, he's not a one-punch knockout artist- he's a boxer. If your only chance is to knock out a guy before he takes you down, good footwork isn't going to save you. Also, his hands have a tendency to get injured (it's happened on more than one occasion) in boxing gloves; imagine what will happen if he fought with the (I feel like Mike Goldberg) "baby gloves" of the UFC.

I just don't see how he could win. Unless he came out and threw a surprise flying knee as Sherk went for a takedown.
nubby
5/6/07 5:11:22PM

Posted by DevMahon

It gets said all the time on the forums, but it's interesting to read it in an article. I have to say, there are even more things stacked against Mayweather in this fight than that writer mentioned. For instance, he's not a one-punch knockout artist- he's a boxer. If your only chance is to knock out a guy before he takes you down, good footwork isn't going to save you. Also, his hands have a tendency to get injured (it's happened on more than one occasion) in boxing gloves; imagine what will happen if he fought with the (I feel like Mike Goldberg) "baby gloves" of the UFC.

I just don't see how he could win. Unless he came out and threw a surprise flying knee as Sherk went for a takedown.

If he threw a knee and won the fight he would no longer be just a boxer, he would by definition become an MMA fighter.