Mayweather/Pacquiao fight in jeopardy...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Mayweather/Pacquiao fight in jeopardy...
emfleek
12/22/09 9:31:10PM
Mayweather's promotor is claiming that Manny is refusing to agree to Olympic-style drug testing.

LINK
grappler0000
12/22/09 9:58:51PM
Just take a urine sample before and then a blood sample immediately after. Solves the problem as far as I'm concerned...unless there are other reasons for being difficult. I was just reading a day or two ago about a disagreement regarding the weight. Just fight already.
IriShame
12/22/09 10:32:22PM
Oh god, here we go! That's boxing for you. Can't the best guys just fight or do we have to do this dance for the next five years till one or both fighters are past their primes and in need of another big payday?
MMAcca
12/23/09 2:11:53AM
The reason for Manny's camp refusing the testing: He is squeamish with needles.....
grappler0000
12/23/09 2:26:32AM

Posted by MMAcca

The reason for Manny's camp refusing the testing: He is squeamish with needles.....

He says that he's squeamish, but it doesn't specifically say that's the reason. He's insinuating that Floyd is trying to mess with his head by making him do it, considering that he's squeamish with needles. His reason is he doesn't want to draw blood that close to a fight...which is somewhat understandable.
SmileR
12/23/09 3:32:41PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by MMAcca

He says that he's squeamish, but it doesn't specifically say that's the reason. He's insinuating that Floyd is trying to mess with his head by making him do it, considering that he's squeamish with needles. His reason is he doesn't want to draw blood that close to a fight...which is somewhat understandable.

If it was a day or two before the fight then it would be but his body would have naturally reproduced the blood lost after three days so I don't see the problem.
That being said why not do what Fleek said and test the pee before and the blood immediately after.

Boxing is a joke now anyway, too many devisions and titles and not enough solid fighters to keep people interested. If this fight doesn't happen I can't see it bringing in the big PPV buys in the future and that would cripple a already weak sport.
Shame because I honestly love boxing and would love for it to be restored to its former glory, but it would need to make a hell of a lot of changes to make that happen.
cmill21
12/23/09 4:53:28PM
Manny needs to do this. It's not a big deal, I don't think there are to many people who say oh hell I want to get a needle but if someone was questioning if I took PED's i'd be doing the tests if I didn't.
jiujitsufreak74
12/24/09 1:46:09AM

Posted by cmill21

Manny needs to do this. It's not a big deal, I don't think there are to many people who say oh hell I want to get a needle but if someone was questioning if I took PED's i'd be doing the tests if I didn't.

the problem is that he is superstitious and doesn't want to get blood drawn too close to the fight. and don't think Flloyd doesn't know that and is just trying to avoid this fight...even though i think he will win it.
MMAcca
12/24/09 2:46:02AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by MMAcca

Yeh i was just kind of shocked that was brought up was all.
MMAcca
12/24/09 4:35:33AM
According to Bob Arum it's off......

''Floyd Mayweather Jr's planned bout with Manny Pacquiao is off because of a blood-testing dispute, according to Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum.

"As far as I'm concerned, the fight is off," said Arum, referring to the scheduled 13 March welterweight bout. ''

LINK
DCRage
12/25/09 6:43:31AM
Paulie Malignaggi is who they're trying to get to face Manny. Nothing against Paulie, who is a good fighter himself, but very lame.
ThaAxeMurderer7
12/25/09 2:25:20PM
Manny Pacquiao plans to file a defamation lawsuit against Floyd Mayweather Jr in a few days over insinuations that Pacquiao is a dope cheat:

"I have instructed my promoter, Bob Arum, to help me out in the filing of the case as soon as possible because I have had people coming over to me now asking if I really take performance-enhancing drugs and I have cheated my way into becoming the No1 boxer in the world," Pacquiao said.
..."To Floyd, despite all these accusations, may your Christmas be merry and I will see you in court, soon, too."

This comes courtesy of BloodyElbow.com
higdon10
12/25/09 6:01:50PM
It sucks that this fight will never happen. F***in boxing.
SmileR
12/26/09 7:35:23PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Manny Pacquiao plans to file a defamation lawsuit against Floyd Mayweather Jr in a few days over insinuations that Pacquiao is a dope cheat:

"I have instructed my promoter, Bob Arum, to help me out in the filing of the case as soon as possible because I have had people coming over to me now asking if I really take performance-enhancing drugs and I have cheated my way into becoming the No1 boxer in the world," Pacquiao said.
..."To Floyd, despite all these accusations, may your Christmas be merry and I will see you in court, soon, too."

This comes courtesy of BloodyElbow.com

Manny has every right to. The Mayweathers as a family (Jr and Sr) have said some serious stuff about him and have absolutely no proof to back it up.
I really don't see the problem giving a sample the week before the fight and then again immediately after (it happen in MMA all the time), but on the day of the fight is ridiculous. This type of testing has never happened in boxing ever before and its coming across like Mayweather is scared.
Right now I'm pretty sure the whole boxing world knows Floyd is running from Manny.
Bustedup477
12/27/09 5:52:00PM
fight will happen..everyone loves $$
telnights
12/28/09 12:11:02PM
It seams like Mayweather was just looking for a way out of the fight. No one has ever asked for this type of testing so why is Mayweather asking for it now. He didn't have a problem with the testing before and now he wants over the top testing. If Mayweather was just try to get in Pacquiao's head he would have dropped the issue. The only thing we are to think is Mayweather is trying to avoid this fight. Also if I was Pacquiao I would sue Mayweather as well. Mayweather and his dad didn't hint that Pacquiao cheats, they straight up accused him of it in a public forum. You cant say things like that without proof.
DCRage
1/7/10 7:58:02AM
The fight is off. Bob Arum says blame Mayweather.

Manny Pacquiao’s promoters said his prospective bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. was dead late Wednesday night after a mediation session failed to resolve the fighters’ differences over drug testing, scrapping what was likely to be the richest fight in boxing history.

The bout was slated for March 13 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, but Top Rank said it couldn’t reach an agreement with Golden Boy Promotions, which represented Mayweather in the negotiations, after nine hours of mediation Tuesday and more discussions Wednesday.

Although neither side was allowed to publicly discuss the specifics of their dispute, Mayweather apparently balked at a hard-fought compromise in the testing issues first raised by the former welterweight champion.

“I knew this was going to happen,” said a weary Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter. “You had to play it out.”

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer and Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe didn’t immediately return phone messages.

The promoters went into the lengthy mediation Tuesday to resolve their differences over drug testing for the fight. Both sides claimed every other detail for the fight had been decided, but Mayweather had demanded random blood testing in addition to unlimited urine testing, with Pacquiao balking at the stringent requests.

The fighters’ representatives apparently thought they had a compromise after the mediation. The promoters were widely expected to formally announce the bout Wednesday - but subsequent discussions with Mayweather during the day led Top Rank to declare the fight canceled.

Arum was left fuming by Mayweather, who fought for Top Rank for several years.

“I’ve been saying this for years: He’s a psychological coward who doesn’t want to fight anybody who has a chance of beating him,” Arum said. “He walked away from a rematch with Oscar (De La Hoya) that would have paid him a fortune because De La Hoya held him close in the first fight (in May 2007).”

After stellar pay-per-view numbers from their previous fights, both Pacquiao and Mayweather likely stood to make more than $25 million from the welterweight bout. Mayweather returned to the ring after a 21-month absence in September with a victory over Juan Manuel Marquez, while Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) pounded Miguel Cotto in November for his 13th straight victory since 2005.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) initially appeared eager to fight Pacquiao, widely thought to be the sport’s pound-for-pound champion with his string of dynamic victories during Mayweather’s aborted retirement. Both fighters quickly agreed to the initial points of a deal, with the fight scheduled for March so it wouldn’t interfere with Pacquiao’s run for political office in the Philippines.

But Schaefer then infuriated Top Rank by refusing to travel to Dallas for a meeting with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who offered to pay lavishly to hold the fight in his opulent new stadium. Schaefer’s actions, apparently at Mayweather’s behest, meant the fight went to the MGM Grand in Mayweather’s adopted hometown with no real competition.

After Mayweather went public with his requests for drug testing that went beyond the standards of the Nevada Athletic Commission, Pacquiao complicated the negotiations by filing a lawsuit last week alleging Mayweather and most of his camp’s key players defamed him by falsely accusing him of using performance-enhancing drugs. Those confrontations led to the mediation, which apparently produced a solution acceptable to everybody - except Mayweather, according to Arum.

Arum said there’s “no chance ever of salvaging it for March, no chance for it ever to happen.” He plans to propose a mid-March bout with 154-pound champion Yuri Foreman to Pacquiao, who could become a champion in his eighth weight class.

AP Boxing Writer Tim Dahlberg contributed to this report.

Boxing's loss is MMA's gain now, perhaps? This could've been a fight that saved boxing.
emfleek
1/7/10 8:47:30AM
I agree with Arum. I don't think Mayweather ever wanted this fight.
higdon10
1/7/10 12:42:49PM
Mayweather doesnt want any part of anyone who could possibly beat him.
cowcatcher
1/7/10 12:46:49PM
you guys are right, as much as it pains me to agree with arum. PBF was looking for a way out and got it.
emfleek
1/8/10 4:47:49PM
Pacquiao agrees to fight Clottey...

LINK
Pookie
1/9/10 3:38:58AM
Nice Clottey is a beast. Great reach speed and defense.
CwB
1/9/10 4:46:28PM
I liked the way Freddie Roach (pac's trainer) put it - since when are fighters in charge of the testing of fighters, when did Mayweather become more knowledgeable then the NSAC. He knows what he's asking is ridiculous and this is his ticket out
RhythmAndStyle
1/11/10 12:27:14AM
ok first off..i blame both camp..the vid i posted up..they made alot of good points..just take the damn blood test and get the fight on..if your clean from PED or anything like that..there's nothing for you to hide..i got a very easy solution for this..take the drug test..and fight..and yes..why would you walk away from a multi-million dollar fight..Mayweather still wants to get it on..now it's up to Pac-Man to make a move..but it seemed he moved on..sucks..after i hear the news..i was depressed..the biggest fight for me this year..i wanted to see this more than any UFC card coming-up...