After Mayweather-Ortiz debacle, White says UFC on FOX 1 officiating is key

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » After Mayweather-Ortiz debacle, White says UFC on FOX 1 officiating is key
Poor_Franklin
9/20/11 8:53:24PM
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Of the million things that concern UFC president Dana White in putting the best foot forward with UFC on FOX 1, the quality of the officiating is up there at the top.

White needs to look no further than the debacle of this past Saturday's mega-fight between boxers Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz to put his nerves on edge.

"I don't care who they put in there as long as he doesn't blow a multi-million-dollar fight and a huge opportunity for the sport," White today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

An animated White launched into a minutes-long tirade on officiating when asked about Mayweather vs. Ortiz, which ended when Mayweather clocked Ortiz with a legal blow after a break in action due to a headbutt from Ortiz.

Although many called Mayweather's punch a cheap shot, there were questions raised by referee Joe Cortez's handling of the foul and subsequent restart of the fight.

White, for one, blasted the veteran referee's call that night.

"Cortez blew a multi-million-dollar fight," he said.

mmajunkie
VILLIN
9/20/11 11:04:10PM
So basically Dana wants Steve Mazagatti banned from the venue?
Chael_Sonnen
9/21/11 12:04:12AM
Officiating is key....AND....so is judging.
Poor_Franklin
9/21/11 2:51:43AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

so is judging.

until they begin scoring higher for stuffed takedown attempts & reversals on the ground, judging never stands a chance

i was impressed w/ the judging in the Koch/Brookins fight. i thought Koch won, but the judges would give it to Brookins & they proved me wrong.
prophecy033
9/21/11 4:45:51AM

Posted by VILLIN

or at least his moustache
Bubbles
9/21/11 10:26:54AM

Posted by VILLIN

and Yves Lagivne
armbar66j7
9/21/11 1:22:09PM
herb dean would be a good all around choice i think, he doesnt usually mess up in big fight situations
scpd400
9/21/11 2:01:34PM
It was a cheap shot. I watched the replay several times and Mayweather looked right at the ref and saw that the ref was looking the other way and then hit Ortiz. Go wach it on you tube.