Mayweather-Marquez (Boxing) Does 1 Million PPV Buys

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Mayweather-Marquez (Boxing) Does 1 Million PPV Buys
DCRage
9/25/09 12:09:32PM
Dana might have to eat some words. From ESPN:

The return of welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr., who easily outpointed Juan Manuel Marquez after 21 months in retirement last Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, generated an astonishing 1 million pay-per-view buys, HBO announced Friday.

Despite a fight many viewed as a mismatch between the bigger and faster Mayweather and the smaller and slower lightweight champion Marquez moving up in weight, the fight was a giant success on pay-per-view -- especially considering it went head-to-head with a UFC pay-per-view card. Many industry experts had expected a pay-per-view buy rate in the 600,000 to 700,000 range.

The fight generated $52 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue and is only the fifth time in boxing PPV history that a non-heavyweight event has reached seven figures.

Mayweather has participated in two of the fights. His May 2005 split decision victory against Oscar De La Hoya set the all-time record, generating 2.44 million buys.

In the fight before announcing his retirement, Mayweather came close to the magic million number, generating 920,000 domestic buys for his welterweight championship defense against Ricky Hatton in December 2007. In his three other pay-per-view appearances, Mayweather had generated totals of 375,000 (Zab Judah), 365,000 (Arturo Gatti) and 325,000 (Carlos Baldomir).

"Sept. 19 was an event that connected with sports fans across the country," HBO PPV chief Mark Taffet said. "Floyd Mayweather has clearly reinforced his standing as a top attraction and fans are excited about his return to the sport."

Marquez had appeared twice previously in HBO PPV headline fights, generating 405,000 buys for his 2008 split decision loss to Manny Pacquiao and 230,000 buys for his 2007 decision win against Marco Antonio Barrera.

HBO will replay Mayweather-Marquez on Saturday (10 p.m. ET) along with live coverage of the Vitali Klitschko-Cristobal Arreola heavyweight title bout from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, the Nevada State Athletic Commission reported that the live gate for Mayweather-Marquez was $6,811,300, generated from 12,009 tickets sold.

I'm assuming the 103 numbers haven't been announced yet (don't know how Texas handles this) but UFC might lose this one.
grappler0000
9/25/09 12:19:48PM
I'm pretty sure everyone already knew that boxing would get more buys that night...the UFC didn't even have a title on the line. I don't remember Dana saying that they would beat them in buys, so I'm not sure he has any words to eat.
SpiderSilva
9/25/09 12:44:55PM
After watching the fight I bet people wish they would have ordered the ufc card which not just cause I'm a mma fan

Mma had a better showing and was better than the boxing that night

mayweather looked way better and didn't do anything

Although the mexican fan base was in full force for boxing I'm from a mexican backround and all my family other than me and my bro ordered boxing and not ufc
emfleek
9/25/09 1:08:42PM
I read yesterday that the UFC pulled an estimated 400,000 buys.
george112
9/25/09 2:07:20PM

Posted by grappler0000

I'm pretty sure everyone already knew that boxing would get more buys that night...the UFC didn't even have a title on the line. I don't remember Dana saying that they would beat them in buys, so I'm not sure he has any words to eat.

Seriously with those kind of numbers.even with a title on the line.it wouldnt have matched what boxing made that night....i hate to say it but its true..

i was at my dads house and when i got there i asked if we were oredering the UFC card and my dad said what UFC? i wanna see mayweather! i was like WHAT!! (my dads a big UFC fan by the way, but i guess a bigger boxing fan).

needless to say we ordered both
postman
9/25/09 2:41:47PM

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

Seriously with those kind of numbers.even with a title on the line.it wouldnt have matched what boxing made that night....i hate to say it but its true..

i was at my dads house and when i got there i asked if we were oredering the UFC card and my dad said what UFC? i wanna see mayweather! i was like WHAT!! (my dads a big UFC fan by the way, but i guess a bigger boxing fan).

Your right they prob wouldn't have reached 1 million but concider boxing only has 4 of these cards a year and the UFC has no less then 12. so if you even figure they do an average 750,000 per fight thats 3 million say the UFC hits and average 500,000 thats 6 million. of course these are loose numbers I made up in my head but boxing wouldn't get a million over and over agian
grappler0000
9/25/09 2:51:32PM

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

The UFC has had 5 events in the last year that did over 800k PPV buys and 2-3 that surpassed a million...so yes, it definitely depends on the card. This was a non-title main event that didn't feature a superstar (I.e. Couture, Liddell, Ortiz) , which is only one step above a European card.
george112
9/25/09 2:52:45PM

Posted by postman

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

Your right they prob wouldn't have reached 1 million but concider boxing only has 4 of these cards a year and the UFC has no less then 12. so if you even figure they do an average 750,000 per fight thats 3 million say the UFC hits and average 500,000 thats 6 million. of course these are loose numbers I made up in my head but boxing wouldn't get a million over and over agian

oo agreed.

i know boxing cant compete with the UFC in terms of revenue (i think) a year. Clearly its the UFC that wins.but i was just referring to how boxing can still make BIG numbers when it has the right fighters fighting.
postman
9/25/09 3:06:07PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

The UFC has had 5 events in the last year that did over 800k PPV buys and 2-3 that surpassed a million...so yes, it definitely depends on the card. This was a non-title main event that didn't feature a superstar (I.e. Couture, Liddell, Ortiz) , which is only one step above a European card.

Yeah and they still pulled 400,000 competeing agianst Mayweather in these economic times. Its pretty amazing.
george112
9/25/09 3:32:51PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

i would like to see the numbers when the UFC does have a title on the line. like Lesnar vs. Carwin but i would also like to see how that card would fare against pacman vs mayweather

im almost positive boxing would win that one.only because thats been a dream fight for so long to boxing fans.so yes it does matter about the card your right about that.but it also depends on whos fighting in boxing to.imo pacman vs. mayweather would totally destroy the 1 million mayweather/marquez just put up
bojangalz
9/25/09 7:20:34PM
So many writers are penning this as a boxing vs MMA night of fights for ratings. I think they are missing the point a bit. The UFC card was scheduled well in advance of the Mayweather-Marquez card (which was originally slotted for July). ZUFFA didn't put the prelims on spike in an effort to beat boxing's PPV buys. They put the prelims on Spike because they knew they had a lackluster main event and that the card needed the extra push to get whatever buys they could.

The real test for MMA vs Boxing will come on Nov 15th when a Lesnar headlined UFC 105 card will go head to head against a Manny Pacquiao headlined Boxing card. You can bet that we'll see plenty of hpe leading up to that date. And with huge draws like Brock and Tito you can bet that MMA is hoping to steal the spotlight that night.
george112
9/25/09 7:31:01PM

Posted by bojangalz

So many writers are penning this as a boxing vs MMA night of fights for ratings. I think they are missing the point a bit. The UFC card was scheduled well in advance of the Mayweather-Marquez card (which was originally slotted for July). ZUFFA didn't put the prelims on spike in an effort to beat boxing's PPV buys. They put the prelims on Spike because they knew they had a lackluster main event and that the card needed the extra push to get whatever buys they could.

The real test for MMA vs Boxing will come on Nov 15th when a Lesnar headlined UFC 105 card will go head to head against a Manny Pacquiao headlined Boxing card. You can bet that we'll see plenty of hpe leading up to that date. And with huge draws like Brock and Tito you can bet that MMA is hoping to steal the spotlight that night.

im very interested to see how that one pans out.
Sinister
9/25/09 8:47:50PM
It wasnt a good card on the UFC's side. Floyd Mayweather is the next biggest thing to Pacio in boxing. They had no chance at beating them. Look at all the huge events we had in december for MMA and then look at boxing. That sums up the truth between the two.
Sinister
9/25/09 8:48:54PM

Posted by george112

Posted by bojangalz

im very interested to see how that one pans out.

That will be a big deal. MMA's newest talent against boxings P4P fighter.