POLL: How'd you score the fight?
Maynard 48-47 43% (21)
Guida 48-47 27% (13)
Mayndard 49-46 12% (6)
Guda 49-46 16% (8)
Other Somehow 2% (1)
warglory
6/23/12 8:45:55AM
I honestly have to say I don't mind Guida's strategy, but looking back at the fight, I don't consider him losing a robbery because of Maynard's Octagon control. Clearly now, when fighters use this strategy, they need to know in the back of their mind that this could cost them the fight if they don't land often.

I thought Guida's head movement was fantastic, and his striking, overall, was superior to Maynard's. I think he could have stood in the pocket and finished Maynard, even while employing the Jackson evasion technique. Clearly it has to be a happy medium, or else many fans get restless, but on the other hand, which not enough people are talking about, is was Maynard's responsibility to cut off Guida with angles, which he didn't do. He stalked, much like DIaz did in his fight with Condit, and refused to change it up.
warglory
6/23/12 8:46:13AM
prozacnation1978
6/23/12 9:27:55AM
I had gray winning the fight
Michael_Corleone
6/23/12 12:15:57PM
...Clay Guida...dafuq????

Maynard won that shit. Bottom line.
Franklinfan47
6/23/12 12:44:19PM
Did I like Clay's strategy? No.

Was I happy he lost? Absolutely.

With that said, I had it scored for Guida, by the narrowest of margins.
LightsOUT23
6/23/12 1:03:25PM
Greg jackson style game plans are always boring to watch, But it wins fights bottom line. Guida won, i cannot understand how that went to Maynard. As for Gray sticking his chin out and dropping his hands like that, try doing that when Anthony Pettis is staring at you, it will be a short comeback if he does. Guida's game plan was perfectly executed but boring to watch, as for referee's deducting points and warning fighters for not getting hit, i think that's a BS rule, Guida was moving/running what ever you wanna call it, deduct points from gray for not being able to hit Guida, Dont warn Guida for being smart ???
FlashyG
6/23/12 1:12:32PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Greg jackson style game plans are always boring to watch, But it wins fights bottom line. Guida won, i cannot understand how that went to Maynard. As for Gray sticking his chin out and dropping his hands like that, try doing that when Anthony Pettis is staring at you, it will be a short comeback if he does. Guida's game plan was perfectly executed but boring to watch, as for referee's deducting points and warning fighters for not getting hit, i think that's a BS rule, Guida was moving/running what ever you wanna call it, deduct points from gray for not being able to hit Guida, Dont warn Guida for being smart ???

1.) In fairness to Jackson he also made the gameplan for Cub and his fight was far from boring.

2.) Gray was sticking his chin out like that because Guida wasn't fighting, if that were Pettis he'd be in a fight and would have no reason to protest his opponent running away from him for 25 minutes.

3.) no points were deducted from Guida, he just got warned not to turn his back and run.

4.) Guida's gameplan wasn't perfectly executed since even with all the running Gray hit him more than he hit Gray.
sparky
6/23/12 1:26:03PM
I had gray winning the dance off by leading the action
warglory
6/23/12 3:49:44PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Um, he already beat Anthony Pettis?

note: Nevermind, thought you say Clay.
bjj1605
6/23/12 4:12:17PM

Posted by tmas

i thought it was a great fight, very enjoyable had me on the edge i loved how guida showed amazing striking defense, getting in and out moving around, to me it was the perfect gameplan and execution....

i had him winning 3 rounds to 2.

Really?

Even though there's lots of disagreement about who won I thought we could all at least agree that the fight absolutely sucked.

Don't get me wrong here guys, I wanted Maynard to win. After watching Guida run away for 5 rounds and watching Maynard try to engage, I wished I could have given Gray the decision. I just don't see what he did to earn it.

Again though, if Guida lost this fight then how did Condit earn the win against Diaz?

Almost identical fights to me.
Pookie
6/23/12 5:19:53PM
As Lohmann so exquisitely put it -

Pookie, this was a stupid fight.

Seeing as how there was almost no effective offense throughout the majority of the fight, i think you have to score it by octagon control. Gray wanted to engage, Guida didn't. The first round Guida won. The second round was closer IMO, and i just scored it a 10-10. The third was even closer and i scored it a 10-10 again. The 4rth Gray looked good but gave away the Mark Hunt "Hit me in the face you pussy" punch just to prove a point, but that made it even again so i scored it 10-10 again, and the last round Maynard did enough to pull off a 10-9 round.

I had that stupid, fucking, fight 49-49 draw. And i couldnt have been any happier that the Judges gave the decision to Maynard. Maynard attempted to fight. Guida almost attempted to fight, but didn't really at all.
Pookie
6/23/12 5:22:37PM

Posted by bjj1605

Again though, if Guida lost this fight then how did Condit earn the win against Diaz?

Condit had 2 rounds of clear effective offense that Diaz couldnt really get anything started in. If you gave Condit any of the early rounds, he won.

This fight to me was way different. Guida tried to pull off a Machida, but without the counterpunching when Gray collapsed range. It was practically a Starnes.
LightsOUT23
6/23/12 5:25:50PM

Posted by FlashyG

3.) no points were deducted from Guida, he just got warned not to turn his back and run.

No points were deducted, but i bet that warning from the referee swung that round in favor of Gray Maynard.

LightsOUT23
6/23/12 5:36:23PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

my drunk ass scored it for guida, but was glad maynard won. guida lost a bunch of fans tonight

LOL
Afflicted
6/23/12 6:02:39PM
comparing this fight to condit vs diaz is silly, two completely different fights
sbulldavid
6/23/12 6:46:01PM

Posted by FastKnockout

By the 5th round I just didn't care. All this fight did was make me a Maynard fan. Watching him take those punches, stuff the takedown, and attempt the guillotine was my highlight.

bjj1605
6/24/12 2:16:47AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by bjj1605

Condit had 2 rounds of clear effective offense that Diaz couldnt really get anything started in. If you gave Condit any of the early rounds, he won.

This fight to me was way different. Guida tried to pull off a Machida, but without the counterpunching when Gray collapsed range. It was practically a Starnes.

I guess its just a difference of opinion then.

I've never thought that what Machida does is "running." I've never been bored by a single Machida fight. To me, that's clearly counter striking and clearly engaging.

Starnes was obviously running, not fighting.

Where I disagree is how you saw Condit/Diaz and Maynard/Guida.

I thought that Guida was engaging more than Condit. Guida was at least using foot work and head movement. There were times in Diaz/Condit where Condit literally turned his back to Diaz and sprinted in the other direction (I'm to tired and lazy to find a gif, but you can look it up yourself.)

This fight was still atrocious. It was still running, but maybe LESS running than Condit.

Posted by Afflicted

comparing this fight to condit vs diaz is silly, two completely different fights

Obviously it's a different fight.

I was at no point under the impression that Gray Maynard was Nick Diaz. Nor did I think that Clay Guida was Carlos Condit.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion.
Afflicted
6/24/12 4:32:10AM
You are hilarious, you convinced me, your an mma genious. Condit showed up to fight, and it seemed as if clay did not. That was my observation, but what the hell do I know. i am pretty sure the crowd was not booing Carlos like they were Clay "dance dance revolution" Guida.
AussiePride
6/24/12 6:51:17AM
I think Guida's gameplan was clever. He executed it well in the first two rounds especially. Yea, sure it was boring but you gotta do what you gotta do. If you were in Clay Guida's shoes being a less powerful striker, would you trade toe2toe with Gray Maynard? He did a good job evading Gray and landing when there were openings. The 4th and 5th round were a little silly due to fact that Clay was evading mainly and not striking at all. But, hey, maybe Joe Silva should pick his match ups better. Can't hate a guy for coming in with a gameplan. I mean... It worked.
Pookie
6/24/12 7:31:40AM

Posted by bjj1605

I guess its just a difference of opinion then.

I've never thought that what Machida does is "running." I've never been bored by a single Machida fight. To me, that's clearly counter striking and clearly engaging.

Me Neither. I love watching Machida fight. I think Guida attempted to use a Machida-esque gameplan, but he didn't counter when Maynard collapsed range. And kinda just did nothing worth anything IMO, and thus the Starnes comparison. At no point did i mean to compare Starnes to Machida.
Pages: 1 [2]