POLL: How'd you score the fight?
Maynard 48-47 43% (21)
Guida 48-47 27% (13)
Mayndard 49-46 12% (6)
Guda 49-46 16% (8)
Other Somehow 2% (1)
bjj1605
6/22/12 11:33:43PM
So I'm just gonna go ahead and be "THAT guy" to get this out of the way.

Who deserved the decision tonight?
hashyandy4
6/22/12 11:38:48PM
I personally scored it 48-47 to Gray, brutal fight 2 watch, Clay is kinda annoying. Clay probably outlanded Gray, but there was very little landing at all either way. The best exchanges were when Gray had Clay in the clinch. Weird Fight
Afflicted
6/22/12 11:39:14PM
I don't even know how to score that fight, I just know that Gray won. Nobody ruins a good fight like Clay guida. Man that was frustrating to watch, no more five rounders involving Guida please.
warglory
6/22/12 11:41:06PM
Clay won that fight. I am fairly confident Clay landed more strikes too, which will be interesting to find out officially with fight metric to contend with the inevitable backlash against his supposed "running." I'll wait for the stats before I say anymore.
sbulldavid
6/22/12 11:41:33PM
Maynard , I wouldn't have complained about Guida winning because it was a pathetic fight because neither tried to win the fight. But Maynard tried to bring the fight and Guida just tried to survive, and that was the difference maker to me.
hashyandy4
6/22/12 11:42:09PM

Posted by warglory

Clay won that fight. I am fairly confident Clay landed more strikes too, which will be interesting to find out officially with fight metric to contend with the inevitable backlash against his supposed "running." I'll wait for the stats before I say anymore.

How did u score it?? I think 49-46 Guida is just crazy

I'm not saying u scored it that, just curious what u did score it.
warglory
6/22/12 11:47:06PM

Posted by hashyandy4

Posted by warglory

How did u score it?? I think 49-46 Guida is just crazy

I'm not saying u scored it that, just curious what u did score it.

I think I hit 49-46, but I meant to do 48-47. I think Gray definitely won the 4th, and the 5th arguably, but he barely landed in the first three rounds.
aussiemma
6/22/12 11:49:59PM
after the 2nd round all i wanted to do was bitch slap guida, so fucken frustrating to watch ! i get he was trying to be elusive but the way he was doing it gave me the shits.
KungFuMaster
6/22/12 11:52:53PM
I will have to watch this fight. I caught the last round and a bit of the 4th - but from the reactions of the fans and posters, I don't know if I want to...
pmoney
6/22/12 11:54:36PM
I think Guida won. Tough fight to call. The headkicks and combos were better than any single strike Gray landed, imo.
bjj1605
6/22/12 11:59:21PM
I thought Clay obviously one the first three rounds. I also gave him the fourth.

Hence I scored it 49-46 in favor of Guida.

It was frustrating to watch for sure but I don't know how I could give Maynard any of the first four rounds. Other than one shot here or there and some very brief moments in the clinch he didn't get any offense going.

The only reason I'm giving him the fifth is because Guida didn't throw any punches and just ran away the whole round.

For anyone who's wondering, I picked Maynard to win a decision. I also can't stand Clay Guida. I've never found him exciting and his personality irks me as well (I've met him several times.)

I just think the judges need to be consistent in the way they score fights.

How did Guida lose this fight when Condit won against Diaz, Cruz won against Faber, and Edgar won against Penn (the first fight)?

Either running away and countering is a viable strategy or its not. The judges need to make up their minds.
FlashyG
6/23/12 12:04:37AM
I thought Clay won rounds 1 and 2, and Maynard the next 3.

Fightmetric seems to be partially down right now so I can't post the link, but based on the stats for the first 4 rounds the difference in strikes landed was only 4 in favor of Guida and he only landed more in the first 2 rounds. The database seems to have crashed before they posted the 5th round stats.

Maynard landed more in rounds 3 and 4 also landed at a higher % in every round.
frizzzlecake
6/23/12 12:08:55AM

that's what the fight felt like to me, good thing Maynard won though.
Twenty20Dollars
6/23/12 12:09:45AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I will have to watch this fight. I caught the last round and a bit of the 4th - but from the reactions of the fans and posters, I don't know if I want to...

Only if you can watch it on fast forward, even then it still probably wouldn't be worth your time.
KungFuMaster
6/23/12 12:13:26AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by KungFuMaster

Only if you can watch it on fast forward, even then it still probably wouldn't be worth your time.

I think I'll take your advice.
Kpro
6/23/12 12:22:42AM
I thought Guida took the first two and Gray took 3 and 5. Then with 4 it depends how you score Gray dropping his hands and eating the cleanest punches of the round and then getting taken down going for a guillotine that Guida popped out of and ended the round on top of Gray. I thought that was a bad sequence for Gray and the biggest moments of the round for judging so I thought Guida would get the nod 48-47 but the judges may have liked the intensity. I think 48-47 was the right score either way though.

Striking by round
1 - 10-5 Guida
2 - 10-7 Guida
3 - 9-4 Maynard
4 - 14-14 Even
5 - 17-11 Maynard
FlashyG
6/23/12 12:24:51AM
Final Fight stats

Link

Maynard landed 49 to Guida's 45 strikes.

Landed with 22% accuracy to Guida's 14%, had the only takedown of the fight, only submission attempt and only pass.

2 of the 3 judges got it right.

edit - my stats are the Significant strikes not total
DancingDoll
6/23/12 12:39:32AM
"The new breed" of UFC fighters isn't the cross-trained/multiple-discipline guys - it's the new "Running Man" breed being turned out by Greg Jackson.

Like the Condit/Diaz fight, I find it really difficult to be fair in calling a winner when one fighter fails to engage in the fight and employs the dodge-and-weave, points system strategy. That shouldn't be happening in a main event. At that level, both guys should aggressively be looking for octagon control and may the best fighter win.

Guida's usually pretty entertaining... not sure what happened there...
FastKnockout
6/23/12 12:48:00AM
By the 5th round I just didn't care. All this fight did was make me a Maynard fan. Watching him take those punches, stuff the takedown, and attempt the guillotine was my highlight.
ncordless
6/23/12 1:00:44AM
I would have scored the fight for Guida 48-47, but the reality is that nobody won and everybody lost, except for big Dan, who called the first stalling/refusing to engage warning I have seen in a while. The sport is not very fun to watch when it is played like this, and one way around it would be a more aggressive use of the warning for stalling/refusing to engage.
george112
6/23/12 1:06:40AM

Posted by FastKnockout

By the 5th round I just didn't care. All this fight did was make me a Maynard fan. Watching him take those punches, stuff the takedown, and attempt the guillotine was my highlight.

Winner!

I wanted Maynard to pull off that sub SO BAD it hurt

Watching him take those punches then sprawl like that was pure beastiness

Up until that point I was so annoyed with guida it wasn't even funny . I'm like man this is the main event and all I see is this guy throw punches at air run hop shrug land a jab land a kick. Smile run some more

I feel sorry for the people that had to pay to watch that and were looking forward to an awesome fight.

The crowd even started booing guida for christs sake

Maynard won that fight because he tried to engage and push the action.

Guida lost because he thought he could win just by hitting him more times.

Strikes alone are not all the criteria judges use to score a fight.

Which is exactly why I thought fisher won his fight.
Twenty20Dollars
6/23/12 1:10:47AM
I wonder if Maynard getting all upset affected Dan's decision to warn Guida, like if Maynard hadn't been flipping him off and cussing, would Dan had given Guida a warning?
george112
6/23/12 1:13:16AM

I wonder if Maynard getting all upset affected Dan's decision to warn Guida, like if Maynard hadn't been flipping him off and cussing, would Dan had given Guida a warning?

I think yes. The fans were booing. It was boring and stupid.

Refs are probably told to do things like that. It's the same when some Refs stand up fighters because of booing
FastKnockout
6/23/12 1:18:43AM

Didn't he do the same thing in the Silva/Maia fight?
Chael_Sonnen
6/23/12 2:11:31AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Didn't he do the same thing in the Silva/Maia fight?

anDEE was very proud of Guida tonight

Maybe Clay had "hurt" ribs
Poor_Franklin
6/23/12 2:49:52AM
my drunk ass scored it for guida, but was glad maynard won. guida lost a bunch of fans tonight
tmas
6/23/12 3:28:31AM
i thought it was a great fight, very enjoyable had me on the edge i loved how guida showed amazing striking defense, getting in and out moving around, to me it was the perfect gameplan and execution....

i had him winning 3 rounds to 2.
Twenty20Dollars
6/23/12 3:42:45AM
I kinda feel bad for Maynard training hard and really not much happening the whole fight, he couldn't do much and Guida didn't do much, kinda feels like a waste.

Don't like Gray wanting a 4th match with Edgar and kinda assuming Edgar is going to beat Bendo.

Have to wonder about the gameplan for Guida, as he has stood and traded with guys before and guys who seemed to be better strikers than Gray, I think. But then tonight he decides not to trade as much here and just kinda move in and out.

Kinda seemed like a similar gameplan as Condit vs Diaz from Greg Jackson maybe.
Adrenaline
6/23/12 3:50:29AM
Damn, I skipped the fights to go to a minor league game tonite and from what it sounds like Guida's performance was less than spectacular. I will have to watch the fight but its a shame that it went the way it sounds.
warglory
6/23/12 8:40:17AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

my drunk ass scored it for guida, but was glad maynard won. guida lost a bunch of fans tonight

You're not a fan of him because of one fight? With all the wars he has been in, and you're dropping him now? That seems a bit premature.
Pages: [1] 2