Maynard vs. Edgar 3

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Maynard vs. Edgar 3
TheBully
1/4/11 8:01:06PM
Who you guys think take's this one?
MiniMan
1/4/11 8:34:32PM
Im not sure. I thought you had it in the bag last time, Now I just dont know...
Wallass
1/4/11 8:42:36PM
If Edgar does what he did in this fight in the third encounter, minus getting nearly obliterated in the first round, he wins a decision.
TheBully
1/4/11 8:48:51PM
I'm thinking Maynard will not gas next time and pick his shots to Tko Frankie
Chael_Sonnen
1/4/11 8:53:42PM
I want Maynard to win, but I think Frankie's cardio and quickness will seal the deal.
TheBully
1/4/11 8:59:03PM
Idk they were both pretty gassed the second time. I don't think cardio will be as important as people think.
sbulldavid
1/4/11 9:16:54PM
I'm sticking with Maynard, he shot his wad and I still think he won the third and fifth rounds, I was impressed with what he was able to do after he gassed.
FastKnockout
1/4/11 9:26:32PM
Edgar wasn't gassed, he was recovering. As each round passed, he looked to be quicker and more light on his feet.

I just can't see Maynard winning a third. He gave everything he had and still couldn't finish Edgar in the first round, I doubt he can finish him picking his shots. Most who sided with Maynard the second time around said Edgar would lose due to Mayanrd's size and strength, but that didn't happen. Edgar stuffed almost all of Maynard's takedowns, and those few times where he was taken down he managed to get right back up. He took Maynard down too, and showed improved strength while keeping his quickness like when he picked Maynard up over his head and slammed him.

I think Edgar will win the rematch, and it will be a clean decision.
FastKnockout
1/4/11 9:28:25PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I'm sticking with Maynard, he shot his wad and I still think he won the third and fifth rounds, I was impressed with what he was able to do after he gassed.

I had Edgar winning the 2nd, 4th, and 5th. When I went back and rewatched the fight the 3rd even seemed a lot closer than everyone made it out to be.
Thunderfighting
1/4/11 11:02:39PM
Edgar

Here is why

1. Edgars take down defense has gotten a lot better and it showed in the last fight, as well as his ability to take down the better wrestler. I see him keeping the wrestling/grappling battle at even at worse.

2. Maynard and his stand up is what almost cost him the fight. I thought Frankie won every round from 2-5, Frankie and his stand up is faster and more fluid, while Maynard will have to look for another big shot to end it on the feet, or to even win an exchange.

3. Heart and toughness can take you miles in this sport. Frankie has both, Maynard not so much. He is a tough dude, but lacks the heart to finish the fight and to not keep the lead when out in front big.

So I say Edgar by Unanimous decision, he will be even better this next time around, just like with B.J. I say he pitches a shut out and wins 50-45 on all cards.
NaturalBornKiller92
1/4/11 11:31:12PM
Not so sure. I'm rooting for Edgar but I think Maynard still has the best opportunity to win. A big reason why Edgar won the last four rounds - - in my opinion - - is because Maynard dropped his guard and allowed Edgar to come back into the fight.
sbulldavid
1/5/11 12:13:55AM
The judges were right and that was why we see three different opinions. As for those that think Maynard didn't gas, try throwing a 100 bombs on a bag, your wind will recover but it takes some time for your arms to recover, especially if you need to pump blood to a lot of muscle. This a big reason why we see guys like Sokodjou, Carwin, Coleman, with their arms hanging, that's the sacrifice you make with bulky muscles,
postman
1/5/11 8:05:25AM

Posted by sbulldavid

I see no way you could score the 5th round for Maynard. He didn't have any significant offense at all in the 5th. The third I gave to Maynard but that was due to him winning at the end of the round it was a very close round.

As for the third fight I favor Edgar he is going to respect both of Maynards hands and won't get tagged.
State_Champ
1/5/11 4:32:10PM
I'm hoping and expecting Edgar to win
BustedKnuckle
1/6/11 7:22:44PM
I hope no one wins!!!!! As in I hope the fight doesnt happen. I am really, really getting tired of all the Insta-rematches in the UFC latley. The Champ wasn't beaten. Move on!! IMO Grey is a great fighter, and if he is that good then he will get another shot. But down the line. I have stated this before and will again, the only time an imeadiate rematch is warrented is in a Wiman/Danzig circumstance!! The ref botched that fight. But Grey didnt do enough to win.....so go back to the drawing board and come out stronger! WAR EDGAR vs. PETTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!