Mayhem Miller says he's fought a greased up fighter before....

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mayhem Miller says he's fought a greased up fighter before....
Next Page »
Jackelope
2/2/09 10:49:26PM
This time an anonymous MEGA arena, in a mega city, in front of a mega crowd, in a mega show, for what was then mega money to me. The stakes are much higher this time, and I had done my best to prepare for this single fight, even going so far as to NOT have a wild sex party the night before the fight, so that I could improve my mental focus. After a rough first round, I met in the center for round 2 and somewhere got taken down. "No biggie, my guard is good, he won't hurt me here, and maybe I can pull off the submission, get a "Dumbass of the Night" award or something. While locked in my tight guard, I noticed that for some reason I was have trouble keeping my opponent's head down. I practiced shirtless with my great training partners, and never had this much trouble keeping a guy from punching me. Was this guy uber strong or something? No exactly. After a couple more stiff elbows to my grillpiece, I felt the familiar slick that I would get every day at kickboxing practice on my nose and eyes, only it was on my opponents neck, now up 2 rounds, Vaseline!

LINK

Jackelope
2/2/09 10:52:24PM
I've gone on record saying that I think GSP is an honorable guy who wouldn't pull this kind of stuff. With Mayhem saying this stuff, though- was I wrong?

Playground_Samurai
2/2/09 11:14:13PM
Yea, apparently Serra's camp told Penn's camp that he greased in their second fight, too. Aaaaannnnddd, apparently Sherk is also claiming Georges greased in their fight. Who knows what happens from here.
tuvok500
2/2/09 11:19:36PM

Posted by gspfan

Yea, apparently Serra's camp told Penn's camp that he greased in their second fight, too. Aaaaannnnddd, apparently Sherk is also claiming Georges greased in their fight. Who knows what happens from here.

It is funny to see that all of a sudden everybody who got destroyed by GSP try their shot...
i say ridiculous and a complete internet propaganda !!

BJ didn't even complain about that yet and will probably not so ..

Jackelope
2/2/09 11:20:35PM

Posted by gspfan

Man, I just hope to God this isn't true. I wouldn't mind going back and watching the Mayhem vs. GSP fight to see if Mayhem really does scream something to the ref about him being greased up. I have the UFC 52 dvd around here somewhere.

I really want to give GSP the benefit of the doubt here. I thought it was a very interesting read, though
loller90278
2/2/09 11:21:28PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by gspfan

It is funny to see that all of a sudden everybody who got destroyed by GSP try their shot...
i say ridiculous and a complete internet propaganda !!

BJ didn't even complain about that yet and will probably not so ..

i hope this isn't true for your sake, tuvok.
gartface
2/2/09 11:27:30PM
Uh oh...
Playground_Samurai
2/2/09 11:30:12PM

Posted by Jackelope
Man, I just hope to God this isn't true. I wouldn't mind going back and watching the Mayhem vs. GSP fight to see if Mayhem really does scream something to the ref about him being greased up. I have the UFC 52 dvd around here somewhere.

I really want to give GSP the benefit of the doubt here. I thought it was a very interesting read, though

As do I. I'm going to see how this plays out for a little while and reserve judgement until more facts come to light.

Only thing I can ask in Georges' defense about all the fighters coming out with these claims is, if all their claims are true, why hadn't any one of them ever filed a formal complaint to the athletic commission?
jiujitsufreak74
2/2/09 11:51:58PM
i want this to just go away. i can't stand this whole situation and i hope to FSM that it isn't true.
Manak
2/3/09 12:26:23AM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Jackelope

As do I. I'm going to see how this plays out for a little while and reserve judgement until more facts come to light.

Only thing I can ask in Georges' defense about all the fighters coming out with these claims is, if all their claims are true, why hadn't any one of them ever filed a formal complaint to the athletic commission?

Not to mention these guys got man-handled by GSP too and now they r saying this. Y didnt anyone speak up early. GSP is amazing and always comes in with a game plan. also Kos n hughes never said anything and those r the best wrestlers GSP faced and he took them down not mention karo was still able to pull of some throws in their match (which seems impossible versus a greased GSP). If u barely lose to him then i can see complaining but not if u get dominated
gartface
2/3/09 12:50:41AM

Posted by Manak

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Jackelope

Not to mention these guys got man-handled by GSP too and now they r saying this. Y didnt anyone speak up early. GSP is amazing and always comes in with a game plan. also Kos n hughes never said anything and those r the best wrestlers GSP faced and he took them down not mention karo was still able to pull of some throws in their match (which seems impossible versus a greased GSP). If u barely lose to him then i can see complaining but not if u get dominated

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but his fight with Karo was his first in the UFC.
Boo_Radley21
2/3/09 1:06:29AM
Seriously, all of these guys say it now? How long after their fights with St. Pierre. I'm calling shenanigans on them.
nastshabast
2/3/09 1:06:42AM

...and Hughes would have bitched for sure.
decken
2/3/09 1:07:57AM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Jackelope

Because it really did not matter. He would have kick there a$$ with or without the lube!
roman
2/3/09 1:48:52AM
Shitty thing for the sport, like major ****. But if it is happening something does need to be done.

Miller saying this is a total surprise to me. Also after watching footage of the alleged greasing I found it pretty convincing; but still, not fact.

Most fighters dont right out and come up with excuses; its ***** and people would view it that way. This was brought up by people who were not fighting, the fighters until this happened.

As for the Hughes and Koscheck comments lets ask how great they are from their backs? They don't have that impressive pedigree from their guard like Miller, Penn, and Serra have.

Crazy situation but lets not jump to anything. I was totally against the idea until today, now im kind of leaning towards him cheating. Thats when I realized wait until it all plays out and I get more facts before I make up my mind.

Just Mayhem saying this is major imo. He seems as honest as you can get.
EvenFlow
2/3/09 1:58:05AM

Posted by gspfan

Interesting.. one would think I dont have to wear this av anymore
Yeah thats a lot of people that George has fought sayin' he cheated so we'll see what happens. Cheating sucks, so I sayin' if the fight gets overturned you gotta wear an av I make too lol.
xAcidburNx
2/3/09 3:24:09AM
i would be completely shocked if this crap were actually true. greg jackson has a lot of high caliber fighters and to be greasing up just georges is rediculous. their is way to much on the line to be pulling that crap. you get caught greasing your fighter many of eyes are gonna me watching you from now on. i might believe this if nate, cerrone, rashad, or even jardine get accused by a bunch of others but imo i think guys who are just sour for how badly they got beat down are jumpin on the band wagon. sherk should keep his mouth shut with how he got bum raped by the AC for juicing. gsp is just really strong sweats a whole lot and with a shaved head that sweatty of coarse your gonna have trouble holding on when he out powers you as much as he does. as for miller saying hes got vasoline in his eyes. last time i fought the guys vasoline from his face rubbed off on me and it started to burn my eyes too but that doesnt mean he cheated it was just bad luck. but as soon as i got back to my corner they wiped it off and i was fine. george was wiped down by the AC guys at the end of the second round and gsp still mopped the floor with him for the next two rounds. only way you can argue that is by saying gsp had already worn him down. BULL ****. i dont think in my entire life have i heard so much blah blah about how bj has his life on track and is in the best shape of his life blah blah. I honestly i hope this post fight bs leads to a rematch just to see him do it all over again. next time itll be worse because gsp just keeps getting better and better and penn stays the same.

BJ LOST ( Not only lost but threw in the towel... IRONY much )

GSP Smashed Him

End of story
Sir_Karl
2/3/09 8:13:19AM
Mayhem rules. Funny guy for sure. Maybe he will open some eyes with this story.
Aaronno9
2/3/09 10:02:58AM
Id have more difficulty believing Miller is lying about this than I would believing GSP greases. Hes got absolutely no reason to lie about it and hes a totally straight up guy.

It sucks becouse ive always thought of GSP as such as honest and humble guy, and I figured it was just his corner messing up, but if its happened in at least 3 fights now, well thats very suspicious. The way he was able to slip out of Penns rubber guard was way to easy for my liking. I know people are saying it was just the way he was posturing up ect, but still, its not like he ever broke the guard or forced it open, it literally slipped down his back every time.

Its going to be an interesting couple of days for GSP and his camp.
pv3Hpv3p
2/3/09 10:16:56AM
To me it just sounds like sour grapes for these guys... To come out and say something now, is just rediculous... Like hey, ya... that must be the reason that I couldn't beat Georges too... He was definitley greased up... A little too much of a coincidence for all of these allegations to come out now...

Anyways... If all these crybabies wanna whine about it... Give em a rematch... I'd watch Mayhem get stomped by GSP again... Sherk can go ahead and get in there with him again too... None of them stand a chance and this is the only way they can come up with to try and rationalize it in their heads, at least that's how I see it
Aether
2/3/09 10:26:19AM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Jackelope

Well assuming that it is true, for argument's sake, if you were a fighter who just lost would you bring it up? I don't know... It's like the article says, everyone is pretty much instantly going to jump all over you, and if nothing comes of it (which it most likely won't in most cases) you look twice as bad for not only getting beat, but going on to try to complain about it. Look at all of the things people were saying about BJ when they believed he filed a complaint, and he didn't even file one.

Then imagine after keeping your suspicions to yourself for a long time, all of the sudden the athletic commission catches it happening again, and shortly afterwards the fighter's opponent confirms that he did indeed feel greased. At that point it would probably feel much safer to come out and speak your mind, because you have other people backing your story.

I am really shocked about this whole thing. My initial thoughts were sure BJ probably would've lost whether there was vaseline there or not, but if it was intentional that it was most likely the trainer's fault... Now I'm not really sure what to believe, but I've got to say, it's looking pretty bad for GSP with all of these fighters speaking out against him. I'm going to reserve judgement until all of the facts are on the table, but it's definitely not looking great right now.

I think it's also pretty important to note for the people calling sour grapes that both mayhem and BJ have said flat out that he was the better fighter that night and it probably wouldn't have made a difference. I'm not saying it's not a possibility, but consider if you were using this as an excuse to vindicate yourself, would you also give the guy credit for being a better fighter and claim that you would've lost anyway?

It's all really messed up, like I said I'm going to reserve judgement until we have all the facts.
Boo_Radley21
2/3/09 11:27:05AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

To me it just sounds like sour grapes for these guys... To come out and say something now, is just rediculous... Like hey, ya... that must be the reason that I couldn't beat Georges too... He was definitley greased up... A little too much of a coincidence for all of these allegations to come out now...

Anyways... If all these crybabies wanna whine about it... Give em a rematch... I'd watch Mayhem get stomped by GSP again... Sherk can go ahead and get in there with him again too... None of them stand a chance and this is the only way they can come up with to try and rationalize it in their heads, at least that's how I see it

Darnok
2/3/09 11:38:59AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

This is probably why Penn hasn't filed a complaint yet, because he knows that his rabid fans will insist on a rematch. And I am sure Penn doesn't want to go through a beating like that again.
Jackelope
2/3/09 11:40:21AM
I think a lot of people aren't reading the actual article. Mayhem admits to cheating in his past before (kneeing a guy in the nuts directly after he got kneed) and he says that sometimes people don't mean bad by it, they just have an extreme desire to win. He also never specifically mentions GSP, but he's obviously alluding to the man. He also brings up why he would never say anything about it after the fight. He believes in the end that GSP was the better fighter and it wouldn't have made a terribly huge difference. It's still cheating, though.

It's mostly an interesting perspective, and one I can agree with completely. Try reading the article before you guys jump to conclusions about Mayhem having "sour grapes"
jocka
2/3/09 12:31:22PM
I have to agree that it does look bad for GSP when you look at his last fight but i do believe that it was a mistake done by his corner man. As far as the other fighters complaining i thinks its bull.

Am someone with a shaved head and i sweat a lot, to some people it could feel like am greased. If we are fighting no gi you will have a lot of problems keeping me from posturing up cause i will slip out of almost anything. Now imagine a guy with Gsp's power, skillset, shave head plus he looks like he sweat a lot too, in your guard trying to post up while you try to keep him close.

I understand that am just talking out of speculation but i do slip out of a lot of things in training just because of my sweat so.... I guess we will have to wait until this story unfolds.
Boo_Radley21
2/3/09 12:39:42PM
Did mayhem really put a screwdriver in his jock?
Darnok
2/3/09 1:21:53PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Did mayhem really put a screwdriver in his jock?

Anything to impress the cute chick in the front row.
WheelchairBandit
2/3/09 2:59:14PM
Watch the bonus features on the UFC 56 DVD-Sean Sherk says that GSP was really,really greasy.

While most of you will say,"Hey,having some vaseline on you won't help you any",well in certain cases it can.If you are stuck in a tight sub and happen to have enough vaseline on that part of your body (legs,arms,neck),it will help you slip out.It can also help in the reverse-remember that Carlos Newton claims he had his corner put vaseline on his arm so he'd be able to sink in the choke against Pat Militiech at UFC 31-ironicly enough,for the welterweight title.

But I have zero problems with GSP having a little vaseline on his back during the Penn fight.I mean c'mon,BJ blatantly grabbed the cage and grabbed it HARD during the first round,and GSP didn't bitch and moan about that.BJ is just being a sore looser.Hell,remember that during the first round he started yelling at the ref that GSP was holding his shorts?Jeez.........

WB.
roadking95th
2/3/09 3:05:28PM
I think everyone needs to wait until all the facts come out. For people blowing it off, saying it's sour grapes or he would have won anyway, here are the facts we know. Or at least think we know

GSP did have accidental vas on not 1, not 2, but 3 rounds. One of those rounds was after his corner was warned.

Serra's camp told BJ's camp before the fight.

Mayhem made those statment last spring. I believe this is true. Anyone know for sure? I thought it was from a "Fight!" magazine article.

Not sure when the Sherk comment's came out. But don't pull the "Oh, he got busted for roids so shut up" crap.

To say it is a non-issue is wrong, at the same time to say GSP is purposefully cheating is also wrong. Time will tell, and I hope it is soon.
motorboatensob
2/3/09 3:18:51PM
Everyone wants to know why didn't any of these guys come forward before.Maybe they felt just like BJ dose now down on themselves for losing and they didn't want to bitch about it. Now that someone else not a fighter noticed this it clicked with all of them that maybe they were right. And isn't it funny that all of these guys he dominated that where all good at wrestling and bbj he made them look like beginners. If you really look at it from outside the box and not as a GSP supper fan than it makes a little since. We now all hate and dislike all the baseball players who cheated why would GSP be any different and don't tell me you don't know when you have vaseline on you.
Pages: [1] 2