Mayhem Miller pulled from card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mayhem Miller pulled from card
Next Page »
BlueSkiesBurn
4/29/10 6:38:46PM
Mayhem Miller was pulled from his June 16th bout because of the brawl following Strikeforce: Nashville.

Article
gartface
4/29/10 8:11:55PM
Absolutely ludicrous. I'm waiting to see if any of the Caesar Gracie camp gets pulled from upcoming cards. Out of respect of the forum code I'll bite my tongue about Scott Coker.
bjj1605
4/29/10 8:15:41PM
That's pretty f'in ridiculous. I don't see what he did wrong in that situation. He did nothing but sell a fight, something tons and tons of fighters do. Gil and the Diaz brothers are to blame in my opinion and Jake Shields is at least as responsible as Mayhem.
Sir_Karl
4/29/10 8:32:35PM
All Mayhem did was ask for a rematch. I like Melendez and the Diaz brothers...but if anyone should be pulled from any future cards..it is them. What a joke. Sad really. Perverted justice.
Rachel7484
4/29/10 8:36:10PM
Looks like Strikeforce have chosen Miller as their scapegoat for this incident!
hate4thestate
4/29/10 8:48:40PM
honestly im tired of this. can we please shut up about it? jason miller instigated the whole ordeal. all this crap about him not doing anything is ludicrous. you dont interupt anyone in the middle of their victory speech by bumping in to them a getting that close to their face. you wait till hes done speaking then challenge him. thats how it works. while the gracie camp reacted wrong to the situation the blame really comes down to miller. he did something wrong and disrespectful. thats it.
gartface
4/29/10 9:19:57PM

Posted by hate4thestate

honestly im tired of this. can we please shut up about it? jason miller instigated the whole ordeal. all this crap about him not doing anything is ludicrous. you dont interupt anyone in the middle of their victory speech by bumping in to them a getting that close to their face. you wait till hes done speaking then challenge him. thats how it works. while the gracie camp reacted wrong to the situation the blame really comes down to miller. he did something wrong and disrespectful. thats it.

Because they're not professional men, who should be able to control themselves in a pressure situation.
bjj1605
4/29/10 9:19:57PM

Posted by hate4thestate

you haven't been watching MMA very long if you thought what Miller did was in anyway uncommon. He was hyping a fight and had a smile on his face, all in good fun. The gracie camp overreacted and they are fully to blame.

There was nothing wrong with what Miller did.
gartface
4/29/10 9:21:23PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by hate4thestate

you haven't been watching MMA very long if you thought what Miller did was in anyway uncommon. He was hyping a fight and had a smile on his face, all in good fun. The gracie camp overreacted and they are fully to blame.

There was nothing wrong with what Miller did.

No kidding. And people seem to forget Nick Diaz doing the same exact thing to KJ Noons.
telnights
4/29/10 9:53:13PM
WOW this is basically the commission and Strikeforce saying Mayhem got what he deserved for going in the cage and asking for a rematch. I guess when Diaz did it that was totally ok. Its like saying 5 people gang jumping someone is totally ok if that person asks for a rematch at a inappropriate time.

I didn't expect anyone to be punished but to punish Miller is just crazy. If this is true this makes not only the commission look dirty but also Strikeforce.
telnights
4/29/10 10:05:23PM

Posted by hate4thestate

I guess you haven't been following MMA for long. Rashad did the same thing to Rampage and got in his face, GSP told Matt he wasn't impressed with his performance after his win over BJ, Diaz went in to the ring after Noons victory and basically tried to start a fight/brawl, and so on and so on. This is very common in MMA and Boxing. Its a way a lot of fighters build up the fight. What isn't common is a gang of top pro fighters jumping on one guy for asking for a rematch.
grappler0000
4/29/10 10:07:59PM

Posted by hate4thestate

Not only did they react to words with violence, they weren't even threatening words. That's like shooting someone in the face for stepping on your toe.
jae_1833
4/29/10 11:43:12PM
I will agree with this only if all the others recieve the same punishment from the commision and from SF, then I will call it messed up....but fair.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/30/10 12:35:47AM
It's pretty much the biggest bunch of sh*t on the planet. I figured Mayhem would be the Ollie North for the incident, just not this soon.
MaxOne
4/30/10 12:47:15AM

Posted by hate4thestate

sad
runningman08
4/30/10 12:49:00AM
This is such crap. If anyone should get punished its the Gracie fight team. Ive said it plenty of times before. Strikeforce is a joke. They have bad management and thier fighter pool isn't deep enough. It may be bad for MMA because the UFC needs competition but i dont see strikeforce being around much longer. Maybe another year and a half and they will be done.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/30/10 1:06:04AM
If they don't suspend the members of the Gracie team as well, I will be completely outraged. I cannot even fathom how you can punish one but not the others.
MMAcca
4/30/10 1:25:31AM
This reaks of BS......I wonder why Jake Shields is not being punished (even though he started the whole thing)

Could it have anything to do with him being out of contract.....
BlueSkiesBurn
4/30/10 1:37:54AM
Oh, I said that immediately after the brawl. I said they wouldn't do sh*t to Shields because that would just all but ensure he'd sign with UFC. This is totally a political move by Strikeforce.
RearNakedJoke
4/30/10 2:23:06AM
the real blame lies with strikeforce. there never should have been that many people in the cage and security should have pulled mayhem out before that fight ever started.

strikeforce is completely wrong in this situation. the people who should be reprimanded are the Diaz duo, melendez, shields and Gus Johnson.

meanwhile nick Diaz is still "on loan" to dream for dream 14.
babalu46
4/30/10 4:57:41AM
I would like to know what is going to happen to the gracie boys before stating my initial feelings on this, but it seems that the new match has been overlooked i'm really pumped for this fight could be brilliant.

WAR BABALU!!
BlueSkiesBurn
4/30/10 5:32:12AM
I think that Lawler has this fight. Babalu doesn't have a great chin.
emfleek
4/30/10 8:53:57AM

Posted by hate4thestate

I can't believe I just read that.

Hopefully you can clarify your statement when you wake up today after your buzz wears off.
snakeplissken
4/30/10 11:15:55AM
At this rate Dana White will be rubbing his hands and get both Shields and Mayhem in and put the grudge match on a UFC card instead!
postman
4/30/10 11:45:39AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by hate4thestate

I can't believe I just read that.

Hopefully you can clarify your statement when you wake up today after your buzz wears off.

Sadly won't happen.
Caesarrrr
4/30/10 1:20:22PM
I really am quite tired of this situation.

Instead of laying the blame on this person and that person, why don't we accept the fact that these things do in fact happen in sports, (not quite like Gus said, but even so). I've seen numerous brawls in sports, and when you're emotions are running high, **** happens.

As for them pulling him off the card, have you ever considered this from a business standpoint? Miller was just involved in a high profile brawl. Why would they now want to promote this guy, who, to many mainstream, uneducated viewers, just was involved in a brawl in this "human dogfighting sport"?

It's all about economics guys, and strikeforce needs some serious help in that department.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/30/10 2:25:36PM
Yeah, if by being involved in a brawl you mean he got jumped and beaten by an entire camp.
Caesarrrr
4/30/10 3:16:34PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Yeah, if by being involved in a brawl you mean he got jumped and beaten by an entire camp.

At least you're obviously willing to set your bias aside and look at this from the way it should be approached, that being a business standpoint.

He was involved. Period. If you say he wasn't, you should research the word "involved".

You can't seriously say that he is in no way at fault. That's even more ludicrous than saying he's completely at fault. The fact of the matter is, he was in the cage when he probably shouldn't have been, he went up to an emotional (and known hot headed) group, and he played the role of an antagonizer. Anything else is completely irrelevant when it comes to his involvement. If you think otherwise, PM, I'll show you the research paper I hide to right when I was "involved" in a fight in highschool. It'll be enlightening for you, I'm sure.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/30/10 3:43:26PM
I'd love to see the paper just because I am an academic as it is. I am not denying that he was "involved" and would never say that he wasn't. What I am beyond frustrated with is that action was levied against him without even a mention of the jackassery by the C. Gracie camp and potential actions to be sanctioned on them. I didn't think what Mayhem did was, by any means, smart but I don't think any professionals should have to be worried about being jumped for trying to hype a fight.

We all know the reputation that the C. Gracie camp has, that's not being disputed here. It's the fact that Strikeforce is tip-toeing around the issue of that camp needing serious penalties because this isn't their first or second rodeo. They won't impose any sanctions because they are too worried about the, eventual and inevitable, signing of Jake Shield by the UFC. It's a chicken-sh*t maneuver on Strikeforce's end to appease an entire camp in the hopes of re-signing their champ.

No other profession athletic organization would be handling the situation like this. Not a single one. All individuals involved would have been punished by now. Instead, Strikeforce is taking a piecemeal approach to this situation because they want Shields happy. Do you think any other organization in the world would tolerate 3 of their Champions involved in an inappropriate, LIVE ON TELEVISION, brawl? I don't think so.
Caesarrrr
4/30/10 11:03:20PM
What sanctions would you have? I disagree about them doing this to get Shields, I think they already know he's gone. I think they don't know what they can do.

Despite all of this, you have to admit from a business standpoint, the miller move is smart. They're going to take time to let things cool down, hype him up a bit and hope it works. Right now he just isn't the best to promote.
Pages: [1] 2