‘Mayhem’ Miller’s Nonstop Hustle

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » ‘Mayhem’ Miller’s Nonstop Hustle
RhythmAndStyle
11/3/09 9:00:32AM
But Mayhem the Entertainer is no different than Jason Miller.

“It's all me,” Miller said. “I just make sure I put it out there for you. At the very least, you have to respect that about me. I don't care if you don't get my jokes. You don't have to be my fan. Go root for Jake Shields. If you want to be boring, go ahead. But at the same time, I'm very honored that anybody listens to me or anyone pays attention or anyone cares when I fight.”

As is the case with most successful fighters these days, questions inevitably lead to when Miller could resurface in the UFC. He actually finds Strikeforce more appealing, though.

“If I'm the UFC welterweight champion, I've typecast myself into one spot,” Miller said. “I know I have more talents than just my fighting. If I'm owned by the UFC, I'm owned by them. It's not a bad thing. It's just business. They're not stupid. They don't want their fighters going outside their control. With Strikeforce, they're a great organization, but they're going to understand that they're going to benefit more from me being on MTV, from me writing articles for Fight Magazine. Me doing stuff outside the fight realm only helps them and helps their brand.”

Link
McBee
11/3/09 12:21:27PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

If I'm owned by the UFC, I'm owned by them. It's not a bad thing. It's just business. They're not stupid. They don't want their fighters going outside their control. With Strikeforce, they're a great organization, but they're going to understand that they're going to benefit more from me being on MTV, from me writing articles for Fight Magazine. Me doing stuff outside the fight realm only helps them and helps their brand.”

Link

Florian(Fight! magazine every month article and ESPN MMA News) and Frankie Edgar(Fox News Fight Game) do stuff outside of the UFC, I do not think they would tell Mayhem he cannot do Bully Beatdown, I would like to see Mayhem in the UFC but I do not HAVE to, I love his articles for FIGHT Magazine and he is crazy but I think he is a gatekeeper at best.
fizzle
11/3/09 1:16:28PM
I don't know about gatekeeper. Mayhem has the ability to beat many top WW. Miller is a strong wrestler with good striking and a very solid ground game. Not to mention the maniac will just smile back in your face no matter how many times you punch him square in the nose. It would be cool to see him back in the UFC but I will just settle for seeing him fight consistently.
McBee
11/3/09 1:27:27PM

Posted by fizzle

I don't know about gatekeeper. Mayhem has the ability to beat many top WW. Miller is a strong wrestler with good striking and a very solid ground game. Not to mention the maniac will just smile back in your face no matter how many times you punch him square in the nose. It would be cool to see him back in the UFC but I will just settle for seeing him fight consistently.

I like watching him fight and he is good but the UFC WW division is so stacked I see too many people beating him to give him anything besides gatekeeper status

would beat him
Koscheck, Fitch, GSP, Alves,

his level
Swick, Hardy, Davis
fizzle
11/3/09 3:05:33PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by fizzle

I like watching him fight and he is good but the UFC WW division is so stacked I see too many people beating him to give him anything besides gatekeeper status

would beat him
Koscheck, Fitch, GSP, Alves,

his level
Swick, Hardy, Davis

Yes I agree the division is stacked, but all the people who you named that would beat him, one is the champ who Mayhem has already lost too but he didn't get finished and wasn't looking like he was ever in danger of being finished, and the rest are pretty much the top three in the division, whom he could beat, there really is no never in MMA. I don't like his chances against Fitch but I think its possible for him to very competitive with Kos or Alves. Either way you slice it I don't think not being an underdog against the top three fighters under the Champ who couldn't finish you qualifies as gatekeeper status.
McBee
11/3/09 3:33:31PM
GSP owned him huge, who cares if he did not finish him, it was pretty embarrassing and that was way before GSP was the champion. I see he main weakness being wrestlers and the UFC has that in Spades so while I like watching him beat up on people in Dream, he ould not do well in the UFC and I only see him winning 1 time out of 10 when fighting the people I mentioned and at least giving a fight to the other people I mentioned but them all having the edge on him. I consider that gatekeeper status because I do not think it is possible for him to make it to a championship bout in the UFC. He loss to Trigg and Trigg got owned and considered retirement after going to the UFC again, even Hughes is looking like a gatekeeper in the UFC WW division.
fizzle
11/3/09 5:01:45PM
Can't dispute the Trigg loss, but Trig was a contender a little while ago. You are right about his problem with really strong wrestlers but I think he can be competitive in the division, don't think he'll be able to nab the title (without making some substantial adjustments and improvements) however I think he could be successful and competitive. I guess he could be a gatekeeper due to his inability to get the strap but I think that moniker doesn't give him enough credit. Regardless I doubt we will be seeing him in the UFC anytime soon.
BigBadAl
11/3/09 5:26:18PM

Posted by fizzle

Can't dispute the Trigg loss, but Trig was a contender a little while ago. You are right about his problem with really strong wrestlers but I think he can be competitive in the division, don't think he'll be able to nab the title (without making some substantial adjustments and improvements) however I think he could be successful and competitive. I guess he could be a gatekeeper due to his inability to get the strap but I think that moniker doesn't give him enough credit. Regardless I doubt we will be seeing him in the UFC anytime soon.

Have to go with McBee on this one my man. GSP is twice the fighter now than he was when he tooled Mayhem. If they fought today......I don't know if that fight would even get sanctioned for saftey reasons. Mayhem seems a cool dude though, and I like him but he really would be a gatekeeper in the UFC. He is better off where he is.
jgtribbett
11/3/09 8:21:19PM
this can only be good for fans if he's in ufc again. i love watching that guy