Maybe A Slightly Silly Question...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Maybe A Slightly Silly Question...
DCRage
12/17/08 10:46:41AM
Something I've been thinking about recently while watching MMA...I know we've all heard in fights when, at time when some fighters hit a kick or knee strike in the clinch, we hear a corner (or, in some cases, fans-I do it too) shout "HEYYYY!!!". Just curious as to 2 things, I guess: How did this come to be and is there any meaning behind it? (Aside from perhaps sounding cool or the corner encouraging their fighter)
emfleek
12/17/08 10:49:41AM
Actually, I've never noticed that.
DCRage
12/17/08 10:50:52AM
I most often have noticed it from the Japanese and the Brazilians.
postman
12/17/08 11:02:05AM

Posted by DCRage

I most often have noticed it from the Japanese and the Brazilians.

You know I was going to agree with Fleek but now that you mention it I do remeber the Chute Box guys doing that maybe they wonder why we say Yeah! instead of Hey. Just a culture gap.
MikeyG
12/17/08 11:09:21AM
Japanese and Brazilian crowds are just more well educated on MMA, they go YEAH / HEYYY or get excited not only for knees and kicks but submission attempts and escapes, you wont get an educated UFC event like that, not in 100 years, Brazilian crowds are the most supportive of their fighters and the most enthusiastic about the sport

in conclusion i dont think its a "where it started" thing, more of a cultural gap between appreciation for sport and blood lust
BigEvil
12/17/08 12:24:28PM
I always just assumed it was to cheer on the fighter and encourage them.
Aaronno9
12/17/08 12:40:22PM
Sometimes ive noticed in muay thai fights the entire crowd/corners, pretty much everybody yells it when theres a good kick of knee from the clinch. Considering somebody mentioned chutebox doing it, it wouldn't suprise me if the muay thai connection is true since alot of their fighters have muay thai backgrounds. Mabeys somebody like cmill or mastadon (if hes still around) can shed some light on this. Mabeys i just made it up lol.
Pookie
12/17/08 4:47:10PM
Everybody in my judo class does it, and its "Aye" i believe.

I always just thought of it as a comraderie thing, that ends up just being a habit. Shit, i say it all the time with mma when i see something pretty happen
Wolfenstein
12/17/08 4:55:24PM
I've always thought of it as a way to reinforce to the judges just how many strikes their fighter is landing, especially when they're in tight and it's difficult to see how many strikes are landing.

I've noticed myself that when I get hit, and every time someone says "eh!" it starts to piss you off and frustrate you. Sometimes you start thinking, "man is this guy really hitting me that much".
Mattchoo
12/17/08 5:10:00PM
From my experiences I would say its more used when a technique is landed clean. Such as in kickboxing bouts if you or your opponent is scoring often with some nasty clean ones supporters and coaches will shout something out along those lines.

Id say its all round, a bit of encouragement, discouragement for the opponent being slammed on and to temp the judges to make them notice certain things you do often!

My take on it
Jackelope
12/17/08 5:28:34PM
Don't quote me, but I believe it stems from old Muay Thai matchups. It was mostly used to signal a good leg kick or a knee from the clinch. That's the oldest way I can remember hearing it. It seems to have been catching on in other realms, now
StorminYourman
12/18/08 6:36:36AM

Posted by Jackelope

Don't quote me, but I believe it stems from old Muay Thai matchups. It was mostly used to signal a good leg kick or a knee from the clinch. That's the oldest way I can remember hearing it. It seems to have been catching on in other realms, now

that is correct