Maxims' Inappropriately Named Sports Teams

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Maxims' Inappropriately Named Sports Teams
40ouncetofreedom
4/25/08 1:25:03PM
Pretty good read..I had to agree with the Pittsburgh Pirates and The Maple Leaves.

LINKster
jiujitsufreak74
4/25/08 2:46:51PM
Well the Lakers really shouldn't be on this list. everyone knows that they were the Minneapolis Lakers (Minneapolis is known as the city of lakes) so when they moved in 1960 in Los Angeles they just kept their name.

same goes for the Dodgers
40ouncetofreedom
4/25/08 3:41:19PM
I've always wondered about the Maple Leafs thing though...The Plural for leaf is Leaves.Atleast in English.

Mayb Rush can drop some knowledge on this i know hes a LeaFs Fan.
The-Don
6/28/08 1:59:18PM
I do not agree with the Calgary Flames being on the list.. Did not Calgary once host the Olympics.. if so you can say the name is in homage to the Olympic Flame.. Now if I am wrong.. and the Olympics were not htere it could be in homage to fires buring to try and stay warm in the Cold
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/28/08 2:47:19PM

Posted by The-Don

I do not agree with the Calgary Flames being on the list.. Did not Calgary once host the Olympics.. if so you can say the name is in homage to the Olympic Flame.. Now if I am wrong.. and the Olympics were not htere it could be in homage to fires buring to try and stay warm in the Cold

yeah olympics were there in '88... but for that whole team name thing, it's kinda for the birds. you can basically laugh at almost every team name out there. like take the former Charlotte Hornets... there's alot of hornets in Charlotte? like come on lol. I'm from phoenix, I have a hockey team. There are alot of Coyotes in Phoenix so i'll go ahead and call my team the Phoenix Coyotes. Like what the hell kind of reflection is that? aaaanyways
king_katool
6/28/08 3:04:59PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

I've always wondered about the Maple Leafs thing though...The Plural for leaf is Leaves.Atleast in English.

Mayb Rush can drop some knowledge on this i know hes a LeaFs Fan.

i live not 30 mins from toronto(not leafs fan) every1 else is but ive never even thought on the plural thing and its got me thinking and i wanna know why now thanks lol
thevoodooninja
6/28/08 8:30:13PM
i live in cleveland and i dont know why thier called the indians when ive never seen a real indian in cleveland except the ones outside the stadium protesting