Mauricio “Shogun” Rua Wants a Rematch with Forrest Griffin

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mauricio “Shogun” Rua Wants a Rematch with Forrest Griffin
MMAcca
4/21/09 1:53:56AM
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, coming off a first round knockout of former light heavyweight kingpin Chuck Liddell, has an opponent in mind for his next fight.

In an interview he did with the Brazilian website Tatame, Rua said that although no opponents have been offered he would like to fight Forrest Griffin again.

LINK1

LINK2
mentalcase
4/21/09 2:27:03AM
i think shogun would win the rematch

forest only beat him cause shogun had lots of issues at the time
Aaronno9
4/21/09 2:53:34AM
Sucks for Forrest.
cmill21
4/21/09 3:44:11AM
I would love to see this and I do think Shogun would take it but I really want to see Shogun fight someone else.
gartface
4/21/09 8:04:17AM
Logistically this doesn't seem like the best thing for either. Forrest already has a fight coming up and Shogun doesn't need another layoff.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
4/21/09 8:47:09AM
get outta here shogun, I get that everyone wants to avenge losses but... how bout moving on accepting the loss and fighting new opponents, its not like it was for the title or anything???
Rua -vs-Cane
how bout Jon Jones I know this may be a step back for Rua but could he beat Jones???????????????
mrsmiley
4/21/09 9:26:27AM
I would love to see Shogun get revenge on Forrest,but as of right now I think he would be better off getting at least 2 more fights under his belt.
soundboy1
4/21/09 9:54:02AM
It would be so much better if it was for the title. All the hype would make it that much better.
Manfred
4/21/09 10:14:59AM
If Forrest loses to Thiago, then it should be Thiago instead.

ex-Chute Box vs. ex-Chute Box
prozacnation1978
4/21/09 10:19:24AM
i think shogun is a win away from a title shot
rampage gets next then i think shogun if he ca win 3 in a row
doubt it will be against forrest
but a number one contender match between forrest and shogun would be great
tomp6581
4/21/09 10:27:45AM
Im pleased Shogun is back on form, he will be a real money maker for the UFC if he goes on a tear like he did in his pride days.

A forest Rematch is a good match up at this point, especially considering Rampage will get the next title shot. That rematch could determine who next after that.

Other good mach ups could be Franklin or Jardine.
sclasclemski
4/21/09 11:40:01AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think shogun is a win away from a title shot
rampage gets next then i think shogun if he ca win 3 in a row
doubt it will be against forrest
but a number one contender match between forrest and shogun would be great

I agree i think a win over Luiz Cane would put shogun in line for the title...or maybe fight the winner of forrest/silva after to announce the number one contender after Rampage
ncordless
4/21/09 11:44:59AM
I'd like to see Shogun fight some other guys first. I also think Forrest is a bad matchup for Shogun because of Forrest's size and cardio.
LakieMan
4/21/09 4:53:20PM
Don't know if Forrest will win his next match, I think Shogun will tear him up, now that he is healed and ready to go.
Pookie
4/21/09 7:22:34PM
If this fight happens next for shogun, hes not fighting again this year unless they scrap the thiago silva fight.

Much rather see him fight the available jardine + one more fight by the end of the year.

bls1919
4/21/09 7:44:24PM
He needs to forget Forrest. A fight with Luiz Cane would be a very marketable fight IMO. And one I would love to see. Jardine is another good choice. Either way a lay off for shogun right now is not an option if he wants to increase his chances of a title shot.
EvenFlow
4/21/09 11:49:49PM

Posted by Pookie

If this fight happens next for shogun, hes not fighting again this year unless they scrap the thiago silva fight.

Much rather see him fight the available jardine + one more fight by the end of the year.

Yeah Jardine is the perfect matchup and rank to probably put Shogun next after Rampage, if not another fight (cough*forrest*cough) then a shot. Rashad or Machida should be ready to fight at UFC 103-105 so thats right up Rampages alley as far as not waiting extemely long for a shot.