Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs. Brandon Vera to Headline UFC on FOX 4

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs. Brandon Vera to Headline UFC on FOX 4
kopower
6/6/12 10:45:24PM
Jun 6, 2012 - With Brian Stann out of the UFC on FOX 4 main event, the UFC has scrapped the idea of a middleweight headliner.

Instead, the promotion has turned to its former light-heavyweight champion, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, who will face Brandon Vera as the anchor to the show, scheduled for August 4 in Los Angeles. The five-round matchup was confirmed on Wednesday night, with the promotion saying that verbal agreements were in place.

Stann had been expected to fight the debuting Hector Lombard, but withdrew on Wednesday, citing an injured shoulder.

The UFC didn't wait long in finding its replacement.

Rua (20-6) will be competing for the first time since his November 2011 classic against Dan Henderson, a fight which he lost by decision. He's split his last six fights. He had been scheduled to fight at UFC 149, but after losing his own opponent, Thiago Silva, due to injury, accepted the opportunity to move to the new date.

Vera had also penciled into a fight, lined up to face James Te Huna in July before the UFC reshuffled the deck.

Link
george112
6/6/12 10:48:21PM
Imo vera can't hang with shogun.

I predict a one sided fight
prophecy033
6/6/12 10:51:20PM

Posted by george112

Imo vera can't hang with shogun.

I predict a one sided fight

I have little interest in this fight
sparky
6/6/12 10:53:12PM
There is an MMA god I have been waiting for someone to murder Vera and my prays have been answered.

I have no idea why but I dont not enjoy to watch Brandon Vera I never have. I have been hoping someone knocks him out cold for a long time now but it never happens.

Ill props Vera for his chin but im still hoping he gets put to sleep

WAR SHOGUN
Wolfenstein
6/6/12 11:00:43PM
What can ya do but shake your head...for the love of god was that really the best they could do? I understand...it's free, so I'll just let it be.
DrivenDavies15
6/6/12 11:18:05PM
Wow UFC 149 just took another huge blow with no Shogun, I can't believe the injures and withdraws in the past couple weeks.
Playground_Samurai
6/6/12 11:24:20PM
This is a head scratcher.

So why could they not make Shogun/Teixeira happen?
tcunningham
6/6/12 11:25:05PM
i think it will be closer than expected. vera is good at keeping his own pace. i think shogun will underestimate him, just a hunch
frizzzlecake
6/6/12 11:27:32PM
Vera's face is gooing to make a nice punching bag for Shogun.
FastKnockout
6/6/12 11:35:04PM
I prefer Glover over a washed up Vera.
Pookie
6/6/12 11:40:34PM
I think I'll cry if Vera starts his comeback on Shogun.
Bubbles
6/6/12 11:48:06PM
good fight to get Shogun back in the win column
Twenty20Dollars
6/6/12 11:58:24PM
what a joke

make machida/bader headline

saw a suggestion on twitter, pull rothwell from the browne fight and put roy nelson in.

also just saw on twitter, Igor was in talks to face shogun but I guess didn't happen

-I would rather see Bonnar in there instead of Vera

An injury bug needs to hit this fight
KaibaThedon
6/7/12 12:03:50AM
yes please let me watch vera get destroyed
Chael_Sonnen
6/7/12 12:06:57AM
Sooooo, Shogun is picking his fights now.....hmmmmm, kinda reminds me of Andee.
infestructure
6/7/12 12:12:45AM

Posted by Pookie

Hahaha

Prepare to cry then

Always been a huge Vera fan. I have no idea why.
I think he pulls the upset, he is rangey like JJ, and has awesome muay thai.
rush13
6/7/12 12:43:28AM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Pookie

Hahaha

Prepare to cry then

Always been a huge Vera fan. I have no idea why.
I think he pulls the upset, he is rangey like JJ, and has awesome muay thai.

Sure he's rangy and lanky but I have a hard time seeing him out-muay-thai Shogun
Pookie
6/7/12 1:06:55AM
Vera is a beast when people engage him on the feet without threat of the takedown. If i was shogun i would be working a gameplan similar to his fight with Liddell.
Sir_Karl
6/7/12 1:09:08AM
Damn....I like Vera...I don't want to see hm get whooped by Shogun. That is what is going to happen though. This is an odd match up considering where each of them are in the LHW rankings. I know Vera is a replacement but apparently they couldn't find anyone else near Shogun in the rankings who was ready or free to fight. While Vera does need some wins as he only has 1 win in his last four he doesn't have much to lose. Shogun on the other hand has everything to lose as losing a fight to Vera would be a serious setback in his career, it would drop him down the rankings and it would also lower his value. I can't see him losing to Vera though. I predict Shogun by TKO sometime near the end of round 2 or beginning of round 3.
Poor_Franklin
6/7/12 4:36:57AM
as a Shogun fan, I love this fight. Won't be easy, but he should win decisively.
lll-lll
6/7/12 8:51:01AM
What a joke. I guess Ken Shamrock wasnt available? Cowards move by the biggest excuse maker in the UFC. I do not even know why Im suprised. I hope Vera pulls off the upset. WAR VERA!

BTW I hope you Shogun fans are happy now that he robbed us of what should have been a great fight between him and Glover for this garbage.
Hendo67
6/7/12 11:15:27AM
Poor Brandon Vera, this isn't going to be a good night for him.

Shogun via 2nd round finish, and a brutal one at that...
Boo_Radley21
6/7/12 11:35:56AM
I don't see Vera making it out of the second
Pookie
6/7/12 11:40:29AM
I think Shogun plays it smart, takes it to the ground, and earns a GnP stoppage from mount. But on the other hand, his fight with Thiago Silva would have had him training the exact opposite gameplan. On the feet Vera has range, quickness, and solid Muay Thai. He can impress if you don't pressure him with wrestling and make him hesitant to engage.
Shawn91111
6/7/12 1:32:49PM
Shogun needs a win, thye needed a headline fight. Vera has a name some casual fans can recognize over Glover. Vera is less of a threat than Glover big time and Shogun needs that win simple as that.
prophecy033
6/7/12 1:49:04PM

Posted by lll-lll

What a joke. I guess Ken Shamrock wasnt available? Cowards move by the biggest excuse maker in the UFC. I do not even know why Im suprised. I hope Vera pulls off the upset. WAR VERA!

BTW I hope you Shogun fans are happy now that he robbed us of what should have been a great fight between him and Glover for this garbage.

DUDE, not all of us are Shogun Nutriders so drop it already and move on
jjeans
6/7/12 1:55:57PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by lll-lll

DUDE, not all of us are Shogun Nutriders so drop it already and move on

Yeah man cause I was gonna pick Shogun....

<<<<<<<--------------------------------------------
sbulldavid
6/7/12 9:31:09PM
This is oddly a difficult match-up for Shogun. Two of my favorite fighters, I don't know what happened to Brandon Vera but something is definitely wrong with Shogun right now and I'm starting to wonder what is left of Shogun after these wars he's been in. If Vera wanted to win this fight bad enough his wrestling could easily control where this fight takes place but I think he'll turn it into a point fight and we'll get to see that sneaky Shogun overhand eventually land and finish the fight with a flurry of hammerfists.
bjj1605
6/7/12 11:30:46PM

Posted by Playground_Samurai

Off topic.....

But are you new here? lol

It says you joined in 07 and you have a lot of posts.....but I don't think I've ever seen a post from you before.

Very strange.
prophecy033
6/7/12 11:32:19PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Playground_Samurai

Off topic.....

But are you new here? lol

It says you joined in 07 and you have a lot of posts.....but I don't think I've ever seen a post from you before.

Very strange.

*cough*gspfan*cough*