Mauricio Rua targeted for tilt with Thiago Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mauricio Rua targeted for tilt with Thiago Silva
BuffaloDave
4/29/12 6:08:24PM
It appears former light heavyweight champion Mauricio Rua’s next bout will involve a fellow Brazilian, as UFC President Dana White went on Twitter today to start the rumor mill by saying Thiago Silva would serve as Rua’s opponent though stopped short of confirming the event. Both seasoned scrappers are coming off hard-fought decision defeats and should produce a memorable result given their generally aggressive approach to combat.

With the announcement that Jose Aldo’s title-defense against Erik Koch will indeed take place at UFC 149 a likely landing spot for Silva-Rua could be UFC 147 given the June 23 event’s attachment to Brazil and need for a solid bout alongside Wanderlei Silva-Vitor Belfort.

LINK
Poor_Franklin
4/29/12 6:17:43PM
hells yeah! love em both, but WAR SHOGUN!
Chael_Sonnen
4/29/12 6:26:51PM
Another Silva gonna get stomped this summer.
TeamDEY
4/29/12 6:33:07PM
I thought Rampage was facing Shogun next?
Poor_Franklin
4/29/12 6:39:27PM

Posted by TeamDEY

i feel like he puts more effort into hyping the fight than he does actually fighting. i'd rather see shogun vs thiago
Shawn91111
4/29/12 6:42:30PM

Posted by TeamDEY

I believe Rampage is out with double knee surgery
Budgellism
4/29/12 7:09:12PM
This is just the kind of fight the Brazil card needs.
Poor_Franklin
4/29/12 7:55:43PM
Junkie says it's likely to hit UFC149
shaneTpain
4/29/12 7:58:38PM
Wow really sick fight! Hmmm who to root for?
Twenty20Dollars
4/29/12 8:03:44PM
Silva not getting/taking easy fights.

I dont want Silva to take the back to back losses, but if it's between him and Shogun, I'd rather have Silva with the back to back L's.
DrivenDavies15
4/29/12 8:07:38PM
I have a tough time picturing Silva winning this one Really hope he pulls this one out!
sparky
4/29/12 8:16:33PM
Shogun will put Thiago out cold
jay98107
4/29/12 8:17:56PM
Thiago loses to Gustaffson and then has to fight an even higher ranked fighter? It's clear to me that the UFC is no longer interested in Thiago as a potential big name, I was expecting him to get a gimme fight after his loss. Maybe Dana is still pissed about the drug test after the Vera fight, this matchup sounds like an attempt to give Shogun a W. Or maybe it's just going to be a great fight and I'm looking at this matchup far, far too cynically.
prozacnation1978
4/29/12 9:07:53PM
It's happening at 149 July
Should happen in Brazil June

I do like this fight a lot
Sir_Karl
4/29/12 10:15:10PM
I like both fighters and I will hate to see one of them lose....but this should be one hell of a fight.
sbulldavid
4/29/12 10:28:16PM
Two of my favorite fighters(Shogun is my Favorite), hope this fight happens, I think both are out of the title picture for now and making the superfight tour that so many make when they are counted out. I think Silva is the stronger fighter but I think Shogunis more explosive overall. I've always thought of Thiago as what Shogun would look like after years of battles and at this point they do look very much the same. Shogun by 2nd round TKO
bjj1605
4/30/12 1:01:31AM

Posted by jay98107

Thiago loses to Gustaffson and then has to fight an even higher ranked fighter? It's clear to me that the UFC is no longer interested in Thiago as a potential big name, I was expecting him to get a gimme fight after his loss. Maybe Dana is still pissed about the drug test after the Vera fight, this matchup sounds like an attempt to give Shogun a W. Or maybe it's just going to be a great fight and I'm looking at this matchup far, far too cynically.

I totally agree with you though.

Shogun doesn't have anything to win in this fight. If he wins, he was supposed to. If he loses, his career is almost done. I guess at least he has a chance to get back in the W column.

Thiago is taking a big risk. If he loses he will have lost 4 of his last 6 (counting Brandon Vera as a win.)

I'd like to see Thiago get someone a little lower ranked and Shogun get someone a little higher ranked.
prophecy033
4/30/12 1:11:00AM
WAR SHOGUN
Pookie
4/30/12 5:06:26AM
Should be entertaining.
ghandikush
4/30/12 11:33:15AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by jay98107

Shogun doesn't have anything to win in this fight. If he wins, he was supposed to. If he loses, his career is almost done. I guess at least he has a chance to get back in the W column.

Thiago is taking a big risk. If he loses he will have lost 4 of his last 6 (counting Brandon Vera as a win.)

I'd like to see Thiago get someone a little lower ranked and Shogun get someone a little higher ranked.

Its to give Shogun a good knockout comeback hype train and UFc knows Thiago isnt going to be top 5 anytime soon.
SamPan
4/30/12 1:00:54PM
I don't think this fight makes much sense. In his fight with Hendo, Shogun was one round away from fighting for his title again. Silva, on the other hand, got bullied around by Gustaffson who is very good but is also a bit overrated in my book if some people are ready to give him a title fight. I think that Gustaffson-Rua, Bader-Davis, Silva-Rampage (if he doesn't go thru the double-knee surgery) would make for more exciting and appropriate fights at this point in their careers.
cowcatcher
4/30/12 1:42:41PM

Posted by SamPan

I don't think this fight makes much sense. In his fight with Hendo, Shogun was one round away from fighting for his title again. Silva, on the other hand, got bullied around by Gustaffson who is very good but is also a bit overrated in my book if some people are ready to give him a title fight. I think that Gustaffson-Rua, Bader-Davis, Silva-Rampage (if he doesn't go thru the double-knee surgery) would make for more exciting and appropriate fights at this point in their careers.

I'm buying what he's selling, every matchup makes more sense to me.

I'm thinking the match might be more about Silva being Brazilian than about positional rank, or if I really want to reach, Gusaffson wasn't going to be ready in time or they want him to be next in line for Jones since he has pretty quick turnarounds after fights(should Jones beat Hendo of course). Whatever the case may be, I still like your ideas better.

Edit: I wouldn't have minded Rua/Lil Nog rematch either.
jakewalters
4/30/12 4:58:00PM
This is a reach for Silva. I would have given him Shogun if he beat Gustafsson, not if he lost to him.
jay98107
5/1/12 4:09:47PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by jay98107

Exactly. Every time a popular fighter like Silva gets trounced and then gets penciled in against an even better fighter, it feels like he's being thrown to the wolves.