Mauricio Rua Signs To Face Machida At UFC 104

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mauricio Rua Signs To Face Machida At UFC 104
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Pookie
5/29/09 4:30:09PM
Someone needs to bump this thread after machida has had 3-4 more fights.

See who did the best against him at that point. Id bet money that its a muay thai striker with the technique to match and the power to fight with machida from their respective kicking ranges.

mkiv9secsupra
5/29/09 4:33:48PM
I didnt hear anyone complain when Anderson Silva beat Chris Leben and somehow that earned him a title shot. I didnt hear anyone complain when the UFC gave Rampage a can in Marvin Eastman before he somehow earned a title shot. Shogun was guranteed a title shot, had he beaten Forrest in the first place.

my point is. its not about what Shogun has done in the UFC. Its about what he was in pride. He already has victories over 2 former LHW champions and many former top 10 LHW. I think he could have used another fight to get him a little more tuned up and develop more hype but Rashad Evans was less deserving, IMO.

His cardio may have been horrible but he has acknowledged that and has said he was seriously working on it. He is the first fighter who will know how to correctly nullify Machida's kicks and will put up one hell of a fight(again, assuming his cardio is up to pace).
sbulldavid
5/29/09 4:53:04PM
Removed fighter bashing. Read the rules. -DC
GSPCanada
5/29/09 5:08:03PM
Between this and the brock lesnar title shot I think the ufc has embarassed itself a little bit showing that they are leaning towards enetrtainment wrestling by putting out the big names and big mtahcups to headline shows rather than the best talent
KaibaThedon
5/29/09 5:14:56PM
More food for Machida.

KO round 1
cmill21
5/29/09 5:27:27PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

More food for Machida.

KO round 1

I will be you an avtar for one year that Machida doesn't KO Shogun in round one lol.
sclasclemski
5/29/09 5:31:32PM

Posted by Natedogg42

I haven't seen any one here recommend who should get the title shot besides page, and he turned it down. Rashad just lost the title so it's not gonna be him. Griffin had the title 2 fights ago, so too early for him probably. Machadia destroyed Thiago, though he did have a back injury so maybe Thiago, but we just saw that fight not long ago. That pretty much covers the top fighters in the division IMO.

I could see maybe Jon Jones or Luiz Cane, but they're still sort of up and comers and I don't think they would want to risk there stellar record's on a match they will almost certainly lose. Franklin, Anderson, Hendo, and Wanderlei can make 205, but I think they should stick to 185.

I don't want to hear anyone recommended Hamill, perhaps the most overrated fighter out there IMO. Lyoto would knock him out in no time with Hammil's hands at the hips stance.

Who does that leave? Shogun. Maybe not the most deserving, but some one has to fight Machada.

If I had been around in the last two days this is exactly what I would have said...maybe not word for word but it is right on...

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I didnt hear anyone complain when Anderson Silva beat Chris Leben and somehow that earned him a title shot. I didnt hear anyone complain when the UFC gave Rampage a can in Marvin Eastman before he somehow earned a title shot. Shogun was guranteed a title shot, had he beaten Forrest in the first place.

my point is. its not about what Shogun has done in the UFC. Its about what he was in pride. He already has victories over 2 former LHW champions and many former top 10 LHW. I think he could have used another fight to get him a little more tuned up and develop more hype but Rashad Evans was less deserving, IMO.

His cardio may have been horrible but he has acknowledged that and has said he was seriously working on it. He is the first fighter who will know how to correctly nullify Machida's kicks and will put up one hell of a fight(again, assuming his cardio is up to pace).

From what I'm catching across the net is that Rampage turning down the title shot is a combination of things 1) He really wants to kick Rashads A%$
2) He is still a little banged up from his last two fights and wants the extra time to spend with family and recover 3) He needs time to get better so that when he does face Lyoto he has the skills to beat him...he has heard Rashad saying that Rampage is one-dimensional now...Rampage wants to get back to slamming people and being crazy...Not a bad frame of mind if you ask me...seems to me like he's saying the belt will always be there and I want to truly be ready to take it and keep it when I get the opportunity...

And with Rampage bowing out for now...Shogun really is the most logical next contender....yes I agree it is early for him to get a shot, I was expecting Shogun v Evans next but either way Shogun is a top 5 guy pretty much...he's young and if he's taking his training seriously he can get back to being an impressive fighter(which I believe he looked pretty good against Chuck). Now I don't believe he will get past Lyoto but it will be a good fight none the less.
McBee
5/29/09 6:06:52PM

Posted by Jimbo

Out of everyone in the LHW division I think he has the best chance at defeating Machida, BUT I dont think Shogun deserves the title shot yet

yeah this is BS, and I do not agree with you on him having a chance I think Shogun has shown nothing in the octogon worthy of a title shot and think he would have to beat one of the previous three title holders to get a shot, Griffin Rashad or Rampage or at least Jardine

again BS
McBee
5/29/09 6:11:48PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

not a good comparsion the middle weight division sucked then and anybody was getting a title shot including loiseau and quarry unless I am mistaken and quarry was after franklin loss to silva, this is the LHW division due have been paid,

McBee
5/29/09 6:12:32PM
TUF is awesome but it keep reering its head up to delay good fights in the real world and it is starting to piss me off, bisping vs hendo was good because it was a couple of fighters that needed one or two more wins to get a title shot not the champion and not the top contender. we have a crap load of solid fighters that could be on the show that could be taken off the table for a few months while TUF plays out.
mkiv9secsupra
5/29/09 6:28:14PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

not a good comparsion the middle weight division sucked then and anybody was getting a title shot including loiseau and quarry unless I am mistaken and quarry was after franklin loss to silva, this is the LHW division due have been paid,

ok anderson may be a bad example due to the division but Rampage was given a shot after beating Marvin Eastman!!! Shogun beating Coleman and Liddell is about 5 times better than beating Marvin Eastman.
McBee
5/29/09 6:34:56PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by McBee

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

ok anderson may be a bad example due to the division but Rampage was given a shot after beating Marvin Eastman!!! Shogun beating Coleman and Liddell is about 5 times better than beating Marvin Eastman.

another bad comparison Rampage had already beat Liddell in the past and like Horn that was a good enough of a reason for people to get a title shot at the time, Liddell had beat everyone at the time. The UFC division are a lot more deeper and the fighters have had a lot more fights within their divisons.
mkiv9secsupra
5/29/09 6:43:17PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by McBee

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

another bad comparison Rampage had already beat Liddell in the past and like Horn that was a good enough of a reason for people to get a title shot at the time, Liddell had beat everyone at the time. The UFC division are a lot more deeper and the fighters have had a lot more fights within their divisons.

And TKOing Rampage(THE FORMER UFC LHW CHAMPION) isnt enough? Rashad was given a shot after KOing Liddell as well. And if not Shogun then who?
cmill21
5/29/09 6:55:31PM
Quit quoting each other it's hard to scroll on my black berry lol. Mk is right if not shogun then who? Everyone else is tied up, shogun is a name who has just beaten two other names, on top of that he's a monster. For most of the past challengers it's been one big win, hector and shogun got forrest a shot and bisping and chuck got rashad the shot. Shoguns as deserving of any of them.
prozacnation1978
5/29/09 6:56:32PM
i called this!!
i'll be there with my shogun shirt on
good fight even though i will be rooting for shogun i do think machida will knock him out
Pookie
5/29/09 7:28:16PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Jimbo

Out of everyone in the LHW division I think he has the best chance at defeating Machida, BUT I dont think Shogun deserves the title shot yet

yeah this is BS, and I do not agree with you on him having a chance I think Shogun has shown nothing in the octogon worthy of a title shot and think he would have to beat one of the previous three title holders to get a shot, Griffin Rashad or Rampage or at least Jardine

again BS

but none of them is available to fight.
PABLOMAFIOSO
5/29/09 8:11:36PM
Shogun would have beaten forrest 8/9 out of 10 times IMO. He came into the UFC with an attitude, after he gassed for the second time against Coleman I think he re- assessed. He IS one of the best in the world at LHW (when he is in shape) and has a legit shot at Machida.
gartface
5/29/09 8:34:04PM
Where is Luis Cane in this whole title picture?
Pookie
5/29/09 8:38:06PM

Posted by gartface

Where is Luis Cane in this whole title picture?

If Rich Franklin beats wandy, i say make that match happen.
RearNakedJoke
5/29/09 8:39:49PM
i dont see how shogun deserves a shot after knocking out chuck liddell. he really hasnt done anything else in the last few years and theres plenty of more worthy challengers.

shogun hasnt proved he is ready for a big and potentially long fight like this one. i think he needs to have a few more fights to prove his cardio is in line first.

Pookie
5/29/09 8:46:09PM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

i dont see how shogun deserves a shot after knocking out chuck liddell. he really hasnt done anything else in the last few years and theres plenty of more worthy challengers.

shogun hasnt proved he is ready for a big and potentially long fight like this one. i think he needs to have a few more fights to prove his cardio is in line first.

Rashad Evans got his shot after knocking out chuck.

And again, if not shogun, who else?
Wolfenstein
5/29/09 9:00:37PM
Personally, I think Quinton should have been forced to take the fight. I mean he's a contender--you fight who you're told to fight--if he were the champ then give him some options.
sclasclemski
5/29/09 10:20:59PM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Shogun has done anything a few years...true...but he's also been out for injuries for most of that time...I believe he went into the forrest fight hurt...and has had knee surgery since...but leading up to that he was considered the best...why does that count for nothing...and the bottom line is THERE IS NO ONE ELSE AVAILABLE WHO IS MORE WORTHY AT THIS TIME!!!!

End of Discussion
Thank you
Kpro
5/29/09 10:26:49PM
I'm sure Rampage is making a big chunk of cash to coach TUF again, as well as a great opportunity to market himself, as well as build up for a fight with a guy who he is logically the favorite against.

I'd do the same thing; make my cash, market myself, take out Rashad, and hope Shogun wins. If he doesn't, you still get your title shot against Machida by beating Rashad, and they're not holding up the fight until that season is over.

Win win situation.

Money & Marketing > Title shot against Machida 6 months sooner.
chuckw94
5/29/09 10:27:54PM
come on guys how much longer are we gonna argue this.

1. Rampage - turned it down
2. anderson silva - fighting forrest and plus he wouldn't fight machida anyway
3. forrest - fighting anderson
4.cane - maybe ready, but not a bigger name than shogun
5 .jones - same as cane.
6. thiago - just got ko'd by machida. why rematch
7. franklin - has wand to worry about. if he wins then maybe. but we would have to decide who would be a bigger draw. him or shogun. i think shogun is
8. henderson - has bisping to worry about
9 jardine - come on shogun is on a different level than him.
10. evans - tied up with rampage
11. hamill - he's not ready for the top guys
12. wand - has franklin to worry about. and then he wants anderson so he's out.
13. chuck - retired ?
14 Dana said so. end of arguement

sorry guys, he's just the guy any way you look at it. deserving or not he'll bring it to machida.
bigbubbano23
5/29/09 10:29:32PM
dosn't deserve it
MMAcca
5/29/09 10:44:10PM

Posted by Kpro

Money & Marketing > Title shot against Machida 6 months sooner.

So true!

It's too early for Rampage and Machida to fight. The UFC needs time to build Machida up and eventuallt when they do fight, in 6 months time or so, the fight will be a lot more highly anticipated.
postman
5/30/09 1:15:37AM
I'm so pumped for this fight Cardio will not be a factor he has almost 5 months he will be ready Machida better ask Anderson how to defend that Clinch.
TNPanther78
5/30/09 11:00:42AM
He doesn't deserve the title shot, but as said before, there is no one else right now. As for the fight, I think it will be a good fight.
TimW001
5/30/09 12:03:22PM
Well I understand that there's no one else in the LHW division. But this fight still excites me. I love both of these combatants. Shogun is one of the reasons I started watching MMA. But i think Mahcida will defeat him dominantly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3