Mauricio Rua Signs To Face Machida At UFC 104

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mauricio Rua Signs To Face Machida At UFC 104
Next Page »
DCRage
5/29/09 8:01:33AM
According to sources within the fighter's camp, Mauricio Rua has signed to be the first challenger to new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Ryoto (Lyoto) Machida. The fight, which likely is still pending Machida signing on, would probably happen at UFC 104 on October 24.

Article
Jimbo
5/29/09 8:32:55AM
Out of everyone in the LHW division I think he has the best chance at defeating Machida, BUT I dont think Shogun deserves the title shot yet
PABLOMAFIOSO
5/29/09 8:33:54AM
Nice, I think this would make for a better TUF and solve the title defense problem. I think Rua has a chance of subbing Macheda if he can get him to the ground. Rampage is too 1 dimensional to beat Lyoto IMO, he is a banger who is capable of the KO but he could not finish Forrest or Jardine. Lyoto would be a little bit too much for him to handle.
DCRage
5/29/09 8:44:20AM

Posted by Jimbo

Out of everyone in the LHW division I think he has the best chance at defeating Machida, BUT I dont think Shogun deserves the title shot yet

He doesn't. If he'd beaten Coleman and Liddell 3 years or so ago (and of course assuming Coleman was about 8 years younger), then yes. But both were/are near the end and he's still only 2-1 in UFC. That usually isn't good enough (Lesnar was a bit of an exception). I can understand Rampage wanting to go on TUF and "whoop Rashad's ass" because they were building up to that but I still would've taken the title shot first.
4u2nv
5/29/09 9:02:14AM

Posted by Jimbo

No he doesn't. But Dana is the boss and Page is busy with TUF10
kaduey
5/29/09 9:33:42AM

Posted by 4u2nv

Posted by Jimbo

I think Shogun is way too sloppy to beat Machida. But I also think he's worthy enough to challenge Machida for the title.
holt8081
5/29/09 9:50:22AM
Shogun of old maybe, shogun know no way
The_Metal_Maniac
5/29/09 9:51:15AM
This is a win win situation for the UFC. You get Machida in the octagon on a short layoff against a semi worthy opponent. You get two entertaining fighters coaching TUF. If some miracle of God occurs and Shogun defeats Machida, you can have Rashad fight Rampage for first crack. I would like to see Rampage and Shogun again.
ncordless
5/29/09 10:13:09AM

Posted by holt8081

Shogun of old maybe, shogun know no way

Actually, the new Shogun we saw against Liddell looked way more impressive than the Shogun of old.

The new shogun actually has a striking stance, some good takedowns and a gameplan. The old shogun just had stomps and soccer kicks. Those don't get you anywhere in the UFC.

I would have liked to have seen Shogun fight someone else first. There were signs that he is starting to evolve his game into a modern fighter... I'd have liked to have seen him get a chance to do more of that before getting his title shot. Right now, I think Machida destroys him like he did to Thiago.

On the bright side... "Shogun vs. The Dragon" should put joy in the hearts of all the traditional martial arts lovers still out there.
kopower
5/29/09 10:24:50AM
I'm still not sold on Shogun. He did finish Chuck quickly and looked good but will he look the same after the second round? Third? His grade in the ufc is still an incomplete for me. I think it was a logical choice for Machidas first title defense and Lyoto is gonna destroy him
sparky
5/29/09 10:33:27AM
Apparently knocking out Chuck Liddell gets you a title shot these days!!!!
Wolfenstein
5/29/09 10:58:52AM
Good fight, but why so far away? That's almost 5 months down the road.

It's a good matchup, but I can't help but feel the UFC is hitting on the same pitfalls of boxing. Making matches as a matter of convenience instead of making fighters earn their legitimate spot as a #1 contender.

I know Page discussed a while back that he wouldn't want to fight Machida. I don't think he turned down the offer because he's afraid of Machida, because I do think he wants to put it to Rashad--but I think partially he's well aware that his skills don't match up well with Lyoto.
Master_of_Mantis_Rapture
5/29/09 11:16:15AM
I am getting sick of this b.s. I'd like to see the LHW belt defended more than once or maybe twice this year.
This is what I'm trying to understand. Rampage 'opted' to fight Rashad before Machida to settle a grudge. I would assume that if Rashad Beat his next opponent, he could get a shot for the title. If Rampage felt he could defeat Machida, Don't you think he would fight for the belt sooner and then fight the winner of say... Rashad and Shogun. Shogun isn't in any possition to challenge yet. He's beaten Chuck after chuck hasn't been able to stay awake in a fight.
Quack, Quack for Rampage?
Shogun Machida in October? Then Page/Shad in Dec? So Page/Shad vs Machida next April?
How long since the B.J. defended?
cmill21
5/29/09 11:21:46AM
Shogun will win. No he doesn't deserve this based on his last few fights, but he's a favorite among us and he just knocked of two HOF'ers which is more the Brock did. However Shogun will win.
The_Metal_Maniac
5/29/09 11:30:14AM

Posted by cmill21

Shogun will win. No he doesn't deserve this based on his last few fights, but he's a favorite among us and he just knocked of two HOF'ers which is more the Brock did. However Shogun will win.

I really hope that I am missing the sarcasm.
StorminYourman
5/29/09 11:33:24AM
Shogun's(new or old) style feeds right into Machida's.Rampage deserved that title shot.Sux sometimesbut then again how long did Machida have to wait for his title shot he could have been UFC LHW champ a long time ago

edit-Jackson forgoes title shot! WTF! if article is accurate and that is true and notUFC hype they made him say.Official respect has been lost and my rankings changed!

State_Champ
5/29/09 11:34:40AM
IMO:

Shogun doesn't deserve this at all, but people said the same of Lesnar and he won the title so.... it makes me frustrated that some guys seem to get ushered into title matches so quickly. I feel that it hurts the credibility of the sport/athletes. However, I'm also not sure how the UFC could solve the problem and I would like to see this fight.
The_Metal_Maniac
5/29/09 11:37:38AM
I honestly can not fathom how any single individual can believe Rua stands a legitimate shot. He is out matched in every aspect of his game. It's going to take an absolute flawless performance from a top contender to even make it a competition.
chuckw94
5/29/09 11:54:08AM
yeah he doesn't deserve it, but right place right time and i hope he wins. shogun has the skills to fight with anyone, no question about that. it's his cardio that will be put to the test against machida.
Mayhem13
5/29/09 12:17:56PM
I guess now that Rampage and Rashad are coaches, Shogun is one of the best options left..he is coming off of 2 KO wisn agaisnt "name opponents"...

I think he will lose though, but it will be exciting while it lasts...his style is to aggressive and wild, he will get countered and put down sometime in the first 3 rounds..imo.
cmill21
5/29/09 12:18:37PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

I honestly can not fathom how any single individual can believe Rua stands a legitimate shot. He is out matched in every aspect of his game. It's going to take an absolute flawless performance from a top contender to even make it a competition.

Shogun will come and come and come, he can and will get inside. He will get the thai clinch and work from there. Shogun isn't outmatched on his feet, his chin is tried tested and true, and they are probably even on the ground. I'll definetly take shogun.
IriShame
5/29/09 12:22:48PM

Posted by cmill21

Shogun will come and come and come, he can and will get inside. He will get the thai clinch and work from there. Shogun isn't outmatched on his feet, his chin is tried tested and true, and they are probably even on the ground. I'll definetly take shogun.

This is crazy talk. Can we all remember to make fun when Machida destroys the over hyped Shogun?
4u2nv
5/29/09 12:52:39PM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by 4u2nv

Posted by Jimbo

I think Shogun is way too sloppy to beat Machida. But I also think he's worthy enough to challenge Machida for the title.

maybe his slooppiness is what is needed to beat Machida. I think it'll go 3-4 rounds with the Dragon GnP him out. I hope Shogun comes in shape and ready for a war.
The_Metal_Maniac
5/29/09 12:56:24PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Are we talking about the same Shogun? The Shogun who has absolutely no cardio? The Shogun who's UFC credentials that supposedly merit a title shot , are defeating in absolute complete lackluster fashion a basically crippled old man in Mark Coleman, and defeating the former shell of himself Chuck Liddel. Even in those two victories he was completely unimpressive. This is not by absolutely any means the Shogun of Pride. Shogun will be destroyed thoroughly, picked completely apart. Just my opinion
finnish_line
5/29/09 1:34:44PM

I can see 2-1 odds, and me betting my house on Machida.
DCRage
5/29/09 1:40:18PM

Posted by StorminYourman

Shogun's(new or old) style feeds right into Machida's.Rampage deserved that title shot.Sux sometimesbut then again how long did Machida have to wait for his title shot he could have been UFC LHW champ a long time ago

edit-Jackson forgoes title shot! WTF! if article is accurate and that is true and notUFC hype they made him say.Official respect has been lost and my rankings changed!

On Rampage-believe it or not, legit. It seems that right now he was more interested in coaching against Rashad and then the post-TUF fight between the coaches. That probably would happen in December.
MMAcca
5/29/09 2:00:26PM

Posted by finnish_line

I can see 2-1 odds, and me betting my house on Machida.

You'd better hope it doesn't rain a lot around where you live because this fight is in no way a foregone conclusion.

Ok so 'Shogun' may not deserve the shot, but he's getting it and he will look to take full advantage of it imo.

I agree with cmill. Rua will keep on coming and eventually could get inside. I will still take Machida for the win, but i don't see it being easy for Lyoto
Natedogg42
5/29/09 2:39:43PM
I haven't seen any one here recommend who should get the title shot besides page, and he turned it down. Rashad just lost the title so it's not gonna be him. Griffin had the title 2 fights ago, so too early for him probably. Machadia destroyed Thiago, though he did have a back injury so maybe Thiago, but we just saw that fight not long ago. That pretty much covers the top fighters in the division IMO.

I could see maybe Jon Jones or Luiz Cane, but they're still sort of up and comers and I don't think they would want to risk there stellar record's on a match they will almost certainly lose. Franklin, Anderson, Hendo, and Wanderlei can make 205, but I think they should stick to 185.

I don't want to hear anyone recommended Hamill, perhaps the most overrated fighter out there IMO. Lyoto would knock him out in no time with Hammil's hands at the hips stance.

Who does that leave? Shogun. Maybe not the most deserving, but some one has to fight Machada.
StriderXero
5/29/09 2:50:17PM
hard fight for me to choose who to root for. This is going to be a very fast paced fight imo. Shogun bringing the high speed brutality, and Machida bringing the technical briliance. I dont know what you guys are complaining for, cuz this will probably be the most fun match to watch all year.

I think this will be a fun match to watch, even if it turns out to be one sided.
cmill21
5/29/09 4:25:14PM

Posted by IriShame

Posted by cmill21

This is crazy talk. Can we all remember to make fun when Machida destroys the over hyped Shogun?

Write down my name
Pages: [1] 2 3