Maurice Smith v Marco Ruas Superfight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Maurice Smith v Marco Ruas Superfight
themmachamp
3/23/07 10:29:50AM
IFL Superfight for IFL Chicago on 5/19

Thoughts on this fight??? I'm excited to see these two old men fight, both haven't fought in 6 or so years

ps...the code "IFLCHI" will get you $10 off $90 and $50 tickets. It's not done through ticketmaster so there aren't as many junk fees
ffforgottenx
3/23/07 11:32:53AM
i hope it actually happens this time... it couldnt happen last time because the athletic commission had a problem with their ages.. if it does, should be an interesting fight.. id take mo by KO
madmarck
3/23/07 11:57:31AM

Posted by ffforgottenx

i hope it actually happens this time... it couldnt happen last time because the athletic commission had a problem with their ages.. if it does, should be an interesting fight.. id take mo by KO

Ruas by TKO. It did suck when they couldn fight. Man max age should be 50.
cowcatcher
3/23/07 1:04:03PM
i was a huge ruas fan back in the day, and i would definately tune in to this fight, mo was mr upset in the ufc and is a great fighter and trainer as well. i would really like to see this for nostalgic reasons if nothing else.
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 1:46:59PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by ffforgottenx

What is the max age?
hippysmacker
3/23/07 1:55:43PM
They both love leg kicks, but I think Ruas would be smart to take him down. Otherwise I say Mo by KO.
Svartorm
3/24/07 1:44:17AM
Honestly I think this fight is going to be pretty sad. Last time Mo Smith fought, he got schooled by Rick Roofus in K-1, who isn't a very good kickboxer in the grand scheme of things. Ruas tends to do ok but gasses easily. I hope for both their sakes its a short and sweet fight.
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:31:48AM
im eager to see it
Rush
3/24/07 11:25:26AM
I say I give this fight to Ruas.

Overall I was not that impressed with Mo's fights. Sure he had a few good ones in the early UFC days, but I think Ruas is more skilled overall.

How old is Ruas anyways?
madmarck
3/24/07 11:37:20AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by madmarck

Posted by ffforgottenx

What is the max age?

Dunno. But i know Severn is over 50 and some guy who is like 60 something won a fight awhile back.
Svartorm
3/25/07 3:29:58AM

Posted by Rush

I say I give this fight to Ruas.

Overall I was not that impressed with Mo's fights. Sure he had a few good ones in the early UFC days, but I think Ruas is more skilled overall.

How old is Ruas anyways?

I think they're both 45, give or take a few months.
PeteD
4/1/07 3:13:17PM
I'm exicited for this fight especially since I'm going to see it live. This is my first MMA event that I'm going to see live so I don't really know what to expect.

I'd pick Ruas by TKO. Even though Ruas lost to Smith in UFC 21 due to corner stoppage.
cowcatcher
4/1/07 3:26:36PM

Posted by Svartorm

Honestly I think this fight is going to be pretty sad. Last time Mo Smith fought, he got schooled by Rick Roofus in K-1, who isn't a very good kickboxer in the grand scheme of things. Ruas tends to do ok but gasses easily. I hope for both their sakes its a short and sweet fight.

i cant believe you said rick roufus wasnt very good. to me he is like royce gracie is to mma, i train at his gym so i am a little biased here, but roufus is a legend in kickboxing for good reason, hes beaten almost every big name in kickboxing and kicked peoples asses well into his 40's. anyways im not trying to flame here but i think a pioneer like roufus deserves the credit hes earned.
madmarck
4/2/07 7:04:30AM

Posted by PeteD

I'm exicited for this fight especially since I'm going to see it live. This is my first MMA event that I'm going to see live so I don't really know what to expect.

I'd pick Ruas by TKO. Even though Ruas lost to Smith in UFC 21 due to corner stoppage.

I think that UFC21 event is long ago enough that it wont really matter. Im sure both have improved (or disproved with age) in certain areas.
PeteD
4/2/07 10:02:04AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by PeteD

I think that UFC21 event is long ago enough that it wont really matter. Im sure both have improved (or disproved with age) in certain areas.

You're probably right. Looking at their history of fights, neither of them have fought for 6 or 7 years. Should still be a good fight though.
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 2:28:32PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Svartorm

i cant believe you said rick roufus wasnt very good. to me he is like royce gracie is to mma, i train at his gym so i am a little biased here, but roufus is a legend in kickboxing for good reason, hes beaten almost every big name in kickboxing and kicked peoples asses well into his 40's. anyways im not trying to flame here but i think a pioneer like roufus deserves the credit hes earned.

I'm with you cowcatcher... Roufus always puts up a game fight...

War Milwaukee (even though I'm from St. Paul)
Svartorm
4/2/07 10:58:42PM
Sorry, I didn't see anyone had replyed to me. You guys missed the qualifier. I didn't say he wasn't a very good kickboxer. I said he wasn't a very good kickboxer in the grand scheme of things. . Sure, hes beaten big names, but hes also had his ass handed to him by big names. The world of kickboxing has a small talent pool, and dudes end up fighting the same guy half a dozen times in their career. It stands to reason you're going to have wins to big names, but its the truely great ones that can beat everyone consistently. Roofus didn't do that. Roofus is a good kickboxer, but overall he didn't have anything that really stood out, and when an aging Rick Roofus smokes an aging Maurice Smith, it really shows where Mo Smith is nowadays in his fighting career.
richieb19
4/3/07 12:17:45AM
Wow thats fantastic, I'll be looking forward to this one for sure...

Ruas' only chance is to ground Mo, otherwise hes gonna get overwhelmed...
richieb19
4/3/07 1:19:40AM
Nice little HL for the Mo fans:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmq5w_maurice-smith
cowcatcher
4/3/07 2:26:54PM

Posted by Svartorm

Sorry, I didn't see anyone had replyed to me. You guys missed the qualifier. I didn't say he wasn't a very good kickboxer. I said he wasn't a very good kickboxer in the grand scheme of things. . Sure, hes beaten big names, but hes also had his ass handed to him by big names. The world of kickboxing has a small talent pool, and dudes end up fighting the same guy half a dozen times in their career. It stands to reason you're going to have wins to big names, but its the truely great ones that can beat everyone consistently. Roofus didn't do that. Roofus is a good kickboxer, but overall he didn't have anything that really stood out, and when an aging Rick Roofus smokes an aging Maurice Smith, it really shows where Mo Smith is nowadays in his fighting career.

not trying to hijack this thread but roufus is 57-7 with 40 KO's and ill agree the talent pool in kickboxing wasnt fantastic back when he was fighting regularly you cant say that back in the late 80's and early 90's mma's talent pool was rich either. he fought and beat the best guys out there at the time, when most everyone in combat sports was boxing so he did that and went 13-5-1. its kind of like saying royce did nothing that stood out when clearly he too was a pioneer in his genre. there are very few kickboxers that qualify as legends and he is definately one. like i said in my last post im not trying to flame or anything but i really think you arent giving enough credit here.
Svartorm
4/4/07 4:04:06AM
He clearly beat the best in American kickboxing, but failed to establish himself in the big leagues outside the US, which is where all the true talent was at the time, and by the time he started tangling with the greats from K-1 and outside the US, he was past his prime. Once again, I'm talking about the grand sceme of things. He might have been the best kickboxer in the US in his time, but he wasn't the best in the world by a longshot.