Matthew Riddle again tests positive for marijuana, cut from UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matthew Riddle again tests positive for marijuana, cut from UFC
Next Page »
Budgellism
2/26/13 10:42:07PM
Matthew Riddle (8-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) was off on his timetable to cease marijuana usage prior to a fight.

The welterweight fighter on Tuesday confirmed to MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he failed his second post-fight drug test for marijuana and has been released from the UFC.

Riddle flunked a test following UFC on FUEL TV 7, where he earned a split call against Che Mills (15-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC).

LINK
Shawn91111
2/26/13 10:46:04PM
Shawn91111
2/26/13 10:48:15PM
Riddle wins 4 in a row, gets busted for pot 2x, gets cut. Thiago Silva only won 1 fight of his last 6, busted for PED's 2x, stays employed.
prophecy033
2/26/13 10:49:39PM
What a fucking idiot. He was in the big leagues and couldn't stay clean long enough before a fight to piss clean. Yes, I know he has is weed card but I don't care. The dude deserved to be cut
frizzzlecake
2/26/13 11:13:58PM
Some guy's just can't stay away from the sweet leaf.
Budgellism
2/26/13 11:17:02PM
prozacnation1978
2/26/13 11:17:59PM
I don't feel sorry for him
He had his chance to correct the pot smoking
grappler0000
2/26/13 11:19:38PM
So, not only did the winner AND loser get cut from that fight, but I believe that puts the cut total to 8 for UFC on Fuel 7. That has to be a record. Exactly 1/3 of the card was cut.
DrivenDavies15
2/26/13 11:22:39PM
WTF Riddle... Man this bums me out seeing as he was doing great. I wonder if they're going to re-sign Mills like they did with Vera after his Silva fight.
FlashyG
2/26/13 11:36:02PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Riddle wins 4 in a row, gets busted for pot 2x, gets cut. Thiago Silva only won 1 fight of his last 6, busted for PED's 2x, stays employed.

Not saying I agree with the discrepancy but

Matt Riddle Total fights - 11
Matt Riddle fights won by finish - 1
Matt RIddle Fights going to decision - 8

Thiago Silva Total fights - 17
Thiago Silva fights won by finish - 13
Thiago Silva fights going to decision - 3

Its pretty clear from the last round of cuts that being entertaining is more important than winning, if you're not entertaining you are walking a tightrope and any false move will have you cut from the company.
pmoney
2/26/13 11:41:03PM
Damn that sucks.... Riddle seems like a good dude. Hopefully he can get some wins, figure his shit out and pass some piss tests. Maybe then he will get a chance to re-sign with the UFC. I mean, he made his pro debut in the UFC, and he just seemed to be hitting his stride...
jae_1833
2/27/13 12:04:33AM
Good point Flashy, another point to make is who they are each fighting...I don't think a lot of fighters are looking to take on Alves any time soon. He has to know his neck is on the block and will going for the destruction in his next bout.
shaneTpain
2/27/13 12:23:23AM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
grappler0000
2/27/13 1:38:52AM
Matthew Riddle tests positive for stupidity, cut from UFC
aussiemma
2/27/13 2:35:21AM
never a dull moment in the ufc !

shame though, he was just really coming into his own and fighting with good game plans. He would have been a good test for any up and comer.
One_Hit_Quit
2/27/13 3:00:06AM
Why can't these guys get a TUE for marijuana? It makes more sense than a TUE for testosterone.
isk
2/27/13 3:14:06AM
Yeah, if there's any kind of serious, deep dive medical overhaul in MMA, medicinal marijuana should be on the table. Do I think it should get a pass? I don't know enough to make that call, obviously, because it would've been my job to get it done. But between Nick Diaz's anxiety attacks and Riddle's comments that weed prevents him from beating his kids, these guys have some real issues that are addressed by an easily obtainable, easily consumed, and easily managed substance.

Should they be fighting? If they manage their shit and it doesn't give them a physical advantage, I don't see why not. It's a little like not hiring a qualified clerk who takes antidepressants. I emphasize little - I think the comparison is too simple to use it equally, but it's worth investigating.
Travesty145
2/27/13 3:23:15AM
heres my stance on weed in mma: its against the rules. whether it helps ur performance or hurts it doesnt matter. its against the rules. period. if u dont like the rules then do everything u can to try and get them changed. but until u get them changed, follow them or suffer the consequences. if its against the rules to smoke weed and u do it anyways, youre a cheater. breaking the rules is cheating. plain and simple
isk
2/27/13 3:36:34AM
I actually agree. It's been one of my main points whenever anyone claims Nick Diaz is blameless. A fighter take one of these substances, they get caught, the consequences are on them.

No, the bigger thing is that, beyond any reductive jokes of 420 Daze, some fighters have legitimate issues that are resolved with medical mary jane. They're willing to risk getting popped so they can get their heads right. Whatever the results of a serious study are, it's worth that serious study.
tattflash
2/27/13 5:54:28AM
I think the issue is more a case of telling everyone he was gonna lay n pray on Mills and done basically that. Its about excitement with Dana and if you are letting the world know you plan to fight the opposite to that, then Dana wont need many legit reasons to fire you. I am sure if Riddle had came out all guns blazing and banged with Mills and put a good show, he would of kept his job even if he had lost
airkerma
2/27/13 7:34:20AM

Posted by One_Hit_Quit

Why can't these guys get a TUE for marijuana? It makes more sense than a TUE for testosterone.

Thiiiiiiiiiiissssssss!!!!!!!!
When you're allowed to have elevated levels for "replacement" therapy for something that is a clear ped, it only makes sense that you should be made medically exempt from something that is not a ped provided a physician approves it.
Kevro
2/27/13 8:10:52AM
Ask yourself this; If Overreem tested positive for weed would he be cut? NO.

UFC= HYPOCRITES. Dana white needs to adress which is more harmful to UFC fighters, Steroids or a plant that makes you feel good and makes you eat? With overreem not being cut and testing positive for pretty much horse steroids then firing matt riddle? Yea PROTECT YOUR FIGHTERS UFC. ( and by that i mean money )

Cut the CHEATERS.
FlashyG
2/27/13 8:34:17AM
Some of you are missing the point.

Riddle didn't get cut because of smoking weed, he got cut because people don't want to pay to watch him fight. Failing a test for weed was just the conveinient excuse he provided Zuffa to cut him.
Shawn91111
2/27/13 8:37:01AM

Posted by FlashyG

Some of you are missing the point.

Riddle didn't get cut because of smoking weed, he got cut because people don't want to pay to watch him fight. Failing a test for weed was just the conveinient excuse he provided Zuffa to cut him.

So basically the UFC is sending the message that they don't want smart fighters and good strategy. They want sloppy brawls and shit. It's absurd. Because up until a few fights ago people were complaining how Riddle had no fight IQ and wasnt using his wrestling, now he uses his wrestling, wins and gets cut for it.
Theoutlaw08
2/27/13 8:45:36AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Riddle was an idiot anyways, screw him. What a dumbass
Boo_Radley21
2/27/13 9:04:33AM
this is the stupidest thing ive seen in a while

but i guess smoking pot makes you move faster and makes you more ambitious...
postman
2/27/13 9:44:13AM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Shawn91111

Riddle was an idiot anyways, screw him. What a dumbass

I actually had a conversation with him a few years ago he's a nice enough guy. Maybe should have quit smoking 4 weeks out but hey what ya gonna do.
kopower
2/27/13 10:02:49AM
This calls for the appearance of..........

cowcatcher
2/27/13 10:38:50AM
It's not like he got nailed for steroids, and others that have are still on the roster, but if he's too stupid to not take some time off knowing he's going to get tested then how can I feel bad for him in the least?

Yeah he has his card, but at least 80% of the people with a card for medical marijuana are recreational users that don't need it. People with cancer, glaucoma, etc, they "need" it. The majority are people that go to doctors that make their living off of giving out cards for "reasons" like ADD. They are recreational users that want to do it within the system. That's totally cool by me, but I hope people don't get it skewed and say he "needs" it .

He'll be fine and end up somewhere, but like anyone in any line of work, there's a level of professionalism that you have to follow if you want to get the most out of your career. If you don't want to do that, fine, but then there's no complaining about it if you feel like you should have more than what you have.
postman
2/27/13 11:03:12AM

Posted by Kevro

. Dana white needs to adress which is more harmful to UFC fighters, Steroids or a plant that makes you feel good and makes you eat?

I'm not sure either is all that harmful
Pages: [1] 2