Matt Serra: Hughes Is A One Trick Pony

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Serra: Hughes Is A One Trick Pony
DCRage
9/29/08 12:26:45PM
Time to start stirring the pot again...in their never-ending war of words, Matt Serra has taken another shot at Matt Hughes, this time calling him a "one trick pony".

Article
Aaronno9
9/29/08 1:05:06PM
Its not like serra brings a full toolbox to a fight. He rarely uses his Jits offensively, i mean i cant even remember the last time he won by sub. His striking is pretty sloppy, hes just got decent power. I think Hughes one trick is stronger than anything serra can bring to the table. Hes just going to get taken down, and grinded. He might use his Ground game to stop matt passing, but i think where going to see 3 rounds of hughes battering serra from serras guard.
nickcuc547
9/29/08 1:29:03PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Its not like serra brings a full toolbox to a fight. He rarely uses his Jits offensively, i mean i cant even remember the last time he won by sub. His striking is pretty sloppy, hes just got decent power. I think Hughes one trick is stronger than anything serra can bring to the table. Hes just going to get taken down, and grinded. He might use his Ground game to stop matt passing, but i think where going to see 3 rounds of hughes battering serra from serras guard.

true that, serra is a joke, just likes to talk to hear his own voice.
StorminYourman
9/29/08 1:30:55PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Serra's BJJ is top notch. In his fight against BJ ,it was pretty much BJ keeping it standing probably because he wanted nothing to do with Serra's ground game. I see Serra sweeping Hughes and gaining top position or submitting him from the bottom. He could possibly KO him too. Either way as long as no Judges sre involved Serra gets the W!
StorminYourman
9/29/08 1:33:00PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Aaronno9

And yet you have him ranked as a top 10 welterweight
Aaronno9
9/29/08 1:47:14PM

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by Aaronno9

Serra's BJJ is top notch. In his fight against BJ ,it was pretty much BJ keeping it standing probably because he wanted nothing to do with Serra's ground game. I see Serra sweeping Hughes and gaining top position or submitting him from the bottom. He could possibly KO him too. Either way as long as no Judges sre involved Serra gets the W!

I didnt say his Jits sucked or anything, im just saying its quite rare he uses it offensively. He hasn't had a submission victory in years.
wrona666
9/29/08 1:55:31PM
Its true he is a one trick pony, but he is pretty damn good at that one trick.....I see Hughes on top of Serra the whole fight and winning a decision victory....
StorminYourman
9/29/08 2:05:09PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by Aaronno9

I didnt say his Jits sucked or anything, im just saying its quite rare he uses it offensively. He hasn't had a submission victory in years.

That is true but if you look at the caliber of opponents he has had they have great take down defense and/or great sub defense.At that point you have to stand and trade
KYGUY07
9/29/08 2:06:30PM
its not like serr asaid anything that wasnt true, matt has one thing and thats his wrestling, now people have learned takedown defense and other martial arts and they have passed hughes up. hopefully he retires after serra smashes him.
McBee
9/29/08 2:15:54PM

Posted by DCRage

Time to start stirring the pot again...in their never-ending war of words, Matt Serra has taken another shot at Matt Hughes, this time calling him a "one trick pony".

Article

Better than only one significant victory in his career
hodge
9/29/08 2:27:42PM
I see the UFC cutting Serra pretty quick after he loses to Hughes

WAR HUGHES
DevonFoxy
9/29/08 2:32:09PM
Hughes = one fo the greatest if not the greatest champion in UFC history

Matt Serra = The only reason people are talking about him is because he won a reality show and got an auto title shot which everyone knows should have never happened and was a joke in its self.

Serra has good BJJ........that's it
Hughes has great wrestling and gnp.....that's about it

Hughes has very good sub defense so I really see no way Serra is going to win this fight.
nickcuc547
9/29/08 3:10:44PM

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Aaronno9

And yet you have him ranked as a top 10 welterweight

i'll give credit where it's due, he beat gsp and deserves to be up there. i think he's a joke of a person with his tough guy know it all attitude. and ya, i do think there are more than 10 guys in the ww division that can beat him, but he is two fights removed from a win over gsp so i can't rank him out of the top 10.
dannyfrank
9/29/08 4:07:16PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Matt Serra = The only reason people are talking about him is because he won a reality show and got an auto title shot which everyone knows should have never happened and was a joke in its self.

yes, it shouldn't have happened, yet he still won. so ask GSP if it was a joke
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/29/08 5:03:29PM
im glad spike showed gsp vsa serra 2 on unleashed the other night

it's always good to see matt serra take 20somethin shots to the ribs.....

but i dislike hughes more, so i hope serra beats him
prozacnation1978
9/29/08 5:08:50PM
i also see it going to a decision but if hughes does lose he might retire after this
McBee
9/29/08 5:41:34PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i also see it going to a decision but if hughes does lose he might retire after this

no chance that Serra is going to win he is a light weight fighting in the welterweight division and in his wins he using his strength to muscle people around and his Jits to avoid damage and then waits out the decision. Hughes will muscle him around and then pound him into submission.
KipDynamite
9/29/08 8:49:36PM
Wasnt this posted like 2 months ago?