Matt Serra to Host UFC 79 Party — in New York

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Serra to Host UFC 79 Party — in New York
grappler0000
12/5/07 6:57:25AM
Scratched from his UFC 79 main event with Matt Hughes because of injury, UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra has now been booked to a host a party for the Dec. 29 event — at Madison Square Garden.

While UFC 79 is set to take place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Serra (a New Yorker) will host a viewing party at New York’s world-famous sporting venue. “The Garden” is located in the heart of New York City.

UFC fan club members will get the first crack at tickets starting this Thursday, Dec. 6. The price is $30 for a general admission ticket — or $25 if you order before Dec. 22. (Fan club members also get to take part in a pre-event autograph session.)

Link
Ordep
12/5/07 9:04:06AM

IMO- The at least thing to do is to be at the event...and he's hosting a party?

hope this helps with his "recovery"
MMAnia07
12/5/07 2:29:54PM
Id love to be in New York to watch UFC 79 with Matt Serra, but its a long way to go from Manchester UK. I thought MSG was huge, how is this gonna work?
Tailgunner
12/5/07 5:01:59PM

Posted by Ordep

IMO- The at least thing to do is to be at the event...and he's hosting a party?

hope this helps with his "recovery"

He went from not being able to "get off the MRI table" to hosting a party in 4 weeks. I'm sure this will help speed up his "recovery" as well!

Serras days as champ are numbered!
rcg916
12/5/07 6:37:20PM
You guys act like this isnt a hired PR job or something. Its not like he's going to be dancing and drinking with hot girls.

He was probably paid quite well to act as an MC type position, addressing the crowd at the beginning, end, and a few breaks.

The Serra hate amazes me...
nastshabast
12/5/07 6:46:08PM

what is dude supposed to do....stay at home? some of you are just plain retarded.

if you had a back injury and could not go to work don't even try to tell me you wouldn't be goin out. Plus dude is the champ and the more ufc/mma exposure in a positive light, the better.

check yourself
Tailgunner
12/5/07 7:14:53PM

Posted by rcg916

People hate Serra because he is a loudmouth beotch who has no respect for fighters who actually EARN their title shots.

Serra never shuts his mouth, the entire season of TUF all Serra did was call Hughes a dick, he told GSP to "hit the road frenchy" and acted like a spoiled brat by asking Renzo Gracie to stop training GSP.

Face it Serras head has gotten so f*cking big its about to explode and when he faces GSP in a few months he is gonna get b*tch slapped and he knows it!

Serra is running scared.

rcg916
12/5/07 7:23:07PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by rcg916

People hate Serra because he is a loudmouth beotch who has no respect for fighters who actually EARN their title shots.

Serra never shuts his mouth, the entire season of TUF all Serra did was call Hughes a dick, he told GSP to "hit the road frenchy" and acted like a spoiled brat by asking Renzo Gracie to stop training GSP.

Face it Serras head has gotten so f*cking big its about to explode and when he faces GSP in a few months he is gonna get b*tch slapped and he knows it!

Serra is running scared.

It's called editing. Do you really think all he did was bad-mouth him, or thats all they showed on the program?

UFC uses that show to build tension for fights. It worked. He has said in interviews that they used the same footage multiple times (his impression of Hughes for example), and that TUF did some creative editing, where things said were taken out of context.

Plus, the title shot was part of the show. He won the spot on said show. How is any of this his fault?

Even if you dont like him, he deserves respect... And even if you dont repect him, which is your right, the forum rules call for you to act like you do or keep to yourself about it.

Even though we are entertained, dont kid yourself into thinking that this isnt business, all day. To blame a fighter for taking an appearance fee instead of sitting at home making nothing is ridiculous. But, it doesnt surprise me, either (See any Fedor thread, or recently Karo).
Tailgunner
12/5/07 7:34:57PM

Posted by rcg916

It's called editing. Do you really think all he did was bad-mouth him, or thats all they showed on the program?

Even if you dont like him, he deserves respect... And even if you dont repect him, which is your right, the forum rules call for you to act like you do or keep to yourself about it.

When "The comeback" started I actually thought Serra was the coolest guy in the house.Since he won the title he has changed quite a bit and just isn't the same guy.

Did the UFC edit his choice to not corner his own guys? Did the UFC tell him to not go to the finale? Did the UFC tell him to call Renzo Gracie?

Serra has been fixated on Hughes since the start of "the comeback" and acts like he and Hughes dated and he got dumped!! LOL

Sorry but the Serra hate is for a reason, his head is too big but thats ok cause like I said he is on his way out!

rcg916
12/5/07 9:59:19PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Did the UFC edit his choice to not corner his own guys?

No. He chose to. He didnt want to coach one against the other, what's wrong with that? Both were his guys, he didnt want to pick one over another. That shows fairness in my opinion.

Posted by Tailgunner

Did the UFC tell him to not go to the finale?

No. Im sure he will be at the finale. The party is occurring on the night of UFC 79, not the Finale. Oh, and if tickets are available through the UFC Fan Club, did you ever think that the UFC has something to do with it, hence his involvement?

Posted by Tailgunner

Did the UFC tell him to call Renzo Gracie?

No, and Im sure it was a mutual decision. Serra was among Renzo's first trainees, and Im sure Renzo himself was part of the decision to not continue to train GSP. Why would Renzo train another fighter to beat one of his original students? He wouldnt, its called professionalism.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but dont knock a guy as a fighter because you buy into the hype machine that is TUF. They try to build tension, and look... It worked.
Ordep
12/6/07 12:26:30AM
wooooo I'm retarded
allmotormark
12/6/07 5:36:29PM
i think it took a bigger man to say i am not choosing one over the other, what the smart fighters should have done was spoke up and said "i will go train with hughes" cause even if you don't like hughes you could still learn alot from him.
really has nothing to do with serra he was the better coach for doing so, was the fighters fault for not at that point when the coin was flipped to go train with hughes
JimiMak
12/6/07 6:02:15PM

Posted by MMAnia07

Id love to be in New York to watch UFC 79 with Matt Serra, but its a long way to go from Manchester UK. I thought MSG was huge, how is this gonna work?

I forget what they call it, but there is a smaller venue that is part of the MSG complex that they use for these types of events. Prob'ly doesn't hold more than 2500 people, if that. They refer to it as something @ MSG.