Matt Lindland Says Anderson Silva Trying to Weasel Out of Chael Sonnen Rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Lindland Says Anderson Silva Trying to Weasel Out of Chael Sonnen Rematch
FastKnockout
10/15/11 2:44:50PM
When Chael Sonnen called out Anderson Silva for a rematch after Sonnen destroyed Brian Stann at UFC 136 it seemed like the only smart fight to make for Silva. In the days since we've seen Silva's manager Ed Soares talk about how Sonnen should be at the back of the line.

In an interview with MMA HQ, that didn't sit well with Matt Lindland:

Ok one last question if I may then; I'm sorry if it's a bit out of left field but I'd really like to get your take on this. Do you think Anderson Silva takes the Superbowl weekend fight with Chael Sonnen?

Haha. Anderson will to find a way to weasel out of that fight. I don't know what his contractual obligations are as far as who he has to fight as a champion but they're already laying the ground work; I mean look at the article that came out this morning on Bloody Elbow.

His manager Ed Soares is already making excuses for Anderson to not take that fight so yeah I think they're going to try to weasel out of it. I don't know what his obligations are contractually to the UFC but his obligations to the fans are that he needs to take that fight.

Everyone of the fans know that Chael's the number one contender and the guy that has a chance of beating him, can beat him and exposed his weaknesses in that fight. The fans want to see that fight and Anderson owes the fans that fight.

LINK
40ouncetpkid
10/15/11 2:46:15PM
Matt Lindland been KTFO unconscious waaaaayyyyy to many times...It's gonna happen next god damn. STFU already.
grappler0000
10/15/11 2:59:33PM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Budgellism
10/15/11 3:02:54PM
Oh shit.
MisterFreeze
10/15/11 3:16:55PM
Anderson definitely needs to take the fight. Anderson probably wants to protect his record for when he retires and he knows Chael has the best shot at ruining his record and taking his title - in his mind, fighting guys he knows he can beat would be the safest route to leaving a legacy.

On a side note - Yes Chael tested positive for high levels of testosterone, but testosterone doesn't teach you how to fight. Chael has the tools to beat Anderson and I believe he will in the next fight.

Chael_Sonnen
10/15/11 4:34:27PM

Posted by grappler0000

That's what I'm talking about

A true champion will throw down anytime, anywhere, against whomever, WITHOUT excuses (Soares)......unlike Andy.
tcunningham
10/15/11 5:30:33PM
i want to see this fight happen on superbowl weekend. its been set up so perfectly by sonnen with the whole leaving the ufc challenge. dana better put this together!!!!
prophecy033
10/15/11 5:59:32PM

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Matt Lindland been KTFO unconscious waaaaayyyyy to many times...It's gonna happen next god damn. STFU already.

agree, although this rematch needs to happen
Sir_Karl
10/15/11 6:09:26PM
I could care less what Matt Lindland thinks and I am not sure why his views are "news" but I do agree with him. I think Anderson Silva is definitely not into another fight with Sonnen. Sonnen dominated him for the vast majority of 5 rounds. Personally I feel Sonnen intentionally let himself get caught in their fight. Sonnen knew that he failed the drug tests and would not be the Champ no matter what. Sonnen knew the sh*t was going to hit the fan with the Athletic Commission as it was but I think he saved himself and everyone else a much bigger headache by "losing" that fight. Sonnen will win a rematch and Silva knows this ...and fears this. The pressure is on and Silva is feeling it.
tn_rebel
10/15/11 6:48:13PM
You guys can't be serious... Silva rd 1 destruction
prophecy033
10/15/11 7:30:31PM

Posted by tn_rebel

not all of us think Sonnen takes the rematch. But I do think Silva will have to work for it
Chael_Sonnen
10/15/11 7:34:59PM

Posted by tn_rebel

You obviously can't be serious

Chael P. Sonnen finishes Andy off in the 3rd.
Dtime_NBT
10/15/11 7:45:04PM
Sonnen will break Silva down again, and he knows it. Soares is out here talking all the shit to get the fight to not happen so it doesn't make Anderson look like a pussy champion. He'd rather fight who....? Henderson?.. You beat him. Belfort?.. You beat him. Bisping?.. Doesn't deserve a title shot, yet.

If not Sonnen, then who?
ghandikush
10/15/11 9:11:12PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by tn_rebel

Took him two round to finish Stann.....
warglory
10/15/11 9:22:33PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Have you come down with a case of one fight dementia? Did you forget their first meeting?
FastKnockout
10/15/11 9:26:10PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by grappler0000

A true champion will throw down anytime, anywhere, against whomever, WITHOUT excuses (Soares)......unlike Andy.

He already had once, WITH an injured rib.
airkerma
10/15/11 11:19:20PM
Lindland: Irrelevant
Lindland's take: Irrelevant
Sonnen's whorish cries for attention: Irellevant
As if people would demand GSP to fight Serra again to "settle the score" because remember, Serra was the last person to beat him so that would Totes McGotes make Serra the most reasonable contender!!!!!!!!! Analogy: Chael having good fight with Silva =/= reason for a rematch. Let roids mcgee get another win before he fights for a title shot. Wtf? How is this even an issue when Marquart is being released for a similar offense regarding TRT? I realize I'm ranting but how does this sit with anyone? This stinks horribly of WWE roots in that Chael sells d-bagism, not quality martial arts abilities. Let him win again or bring in someone new if Chael hasn't won again.
Chael_Sonnen
10/15/11 11:23:33PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by tn_rebel

Took him two round to finish Stann.....

Actually, less than 2 rounds.....approx round 1/2
Chael_Sonnen
10/15/11 11:24:44PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by grappler0000

Hate to break it to you, Chael hurt Andy's ribs in rd 1.
Manak
10/15/11 11:24:55PM
only way Chael can win is by dec... which means he has to last 25 min with anderson without being finished, not even adidas can help him (impossible is nothing...yea not this time) my reason being that fight metric said chael landed 320 strikes. yet he couldnt finish.. how do u land 320 strikes and cant finish someone. they should be putty, he does not have the power to finish finish him or the grappling to sub anderson. I think chael is awesome but no way he beats anderson... and to lindland I highly doubt silva is afraid to fight anyone Franklin, Nate, Henderson, chael, Belfort, & 205ers. I wanna see the rematch to put everything to bed but would rather anderson go to 205
SpiderSilva
10/16/11 1:57:10AM
I see charlie is doing his best to weasel his way back into a title shot. I he should have to fight Maia 1st or paul harris. Anyway even with that hurt rib injured in the fight or failing a test in the end Anderson won the last fight and Sonnen lost.

16-0 in the UFC
telnights
10/16/11 3:08:05PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by grappler0000

Hate to break it to you, but Anderson's had the rib injury even before the fight.
Chael_Sonnen
10/16/11 6:05:23PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by grappler0000

Hate to break it to you, but Anderson's had the rib injury even before the fight.

I disagree.....and so does 98% of the human population.
bjj1605
10/16/11 10:59:27PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Personally I feel Sonnen intentionally let himself get caught in their fight. Sonnen knew that he failed the drug tests and would not be the Champ no matter what.

That is even more ridiculous than the people who think Anderson let himself get controlled for 5 rounds so he could submit Chael.

Anderson won the first fight fair and square (even with an injury and a juiced up Chael.) He will win the rematch convincingly.

First or second round TKO for Andy. He has nothing to fear and he knows it. Lindland just sounds dumb.
scooter19820
10/16/11 11:45:02PM
I very rarely comment on here, in fact I couldn't tell you the last time I did, but I'm tired of hearing people say things such as; "On a side note - Yes Chael tested positive for high levels of testosterone, but testosterone doesn't teach you how to fight."

To get into semantics with you, yes it doesn't technically teach you how to fight seeing as it isn't a person, but the use a substance. Dismissing the importance that steroids, HGH, similar drugs, and elevated levels of testosterone have on the performance of athletes is becoming redundant.
tn_rebel
10/17/11 12:09:46AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by tn_rebel

Have you come down with a case of one fight dementia? Did you forget their first meeting?

Alot of people seem to be forgetting how that fight ended. It wasn't a controversial decision, he FINISHED him. He will finish him again.
Pookie
10/17/11 12:14:02AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by grappler0000

Pookie
10/17/11 12:17:16AM
Anderson is going to have a way easier time tapping Chael with ribs that aren't broken. It's a worlds difference in how much harder it is to set up a triangle when you have an injured core.
Bubbles
10/18/11 7:52:29PM

Posted by tn_rebel

thats what was said last time too
Bubbles
10/18/11 7:58:50PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by grappler0000

yeah the one Sonnen broke during the fight