Matt Lindland vs. Fedor???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Matt Lindland vs. Fedor???
BabbyHughes
2/1/07 2:11:48AM
Wow, that's an interesting match up. According to MMAWeekly, the main even for Bodogfight's April 6 card is Matt Lindland vs. Fedor. All I can think of is Fedor punching the crap out of Matt Lindland like he did Coleman. Lindland may have awesome Olympic wrestling, but I doubt it is any better than Coleman's... Lindland's striking is better than Coleman's, but its not going to help against one of the most devastating strikers in MMA (Fedor). Also, I wonder what weight the fight is going to be at. Fedor is a relatively light heavyweight, but Matt Lindland had a hard enough time going up to 205 to fight Rampage, so I doubt the fight will be a heavyweight bout... What do you guys think about this crazy match up?

link= http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/rumors.asp?articleid=3052&zoneid=14
hippysmacker
2/1/07 2:15:59AM
I think Lindland is a great middleweight and that's where he belongs. I respect his heart , skill, and will but he's out of his league. I will be surprised if he makes it out of the 2nd round.
gspfan31
2/1/07 2:55:43AM
i hope lindland does not fight all 3 of his fights on his bodog contract at hw like he says he's going to do, imo it would be a waste of matts skill
Svartorm
2/1/07 2:56:22AM
Its taking place in Russia, so it doesn't need to have a weight class. I have a DVD of Igor Vochacyn fighting Paul Varleans, Fred Floyd and John Dixon, none of which weight less than 300lbs.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 3:13:14AM

Posted by Svartorm

Its taking place in Russia, so it doesn't need to have a weight class. I have a DVD of Igor Vochacyn fighting Paul Varleans, Fred Floyd and John Dixon, none of which weight less than 300lbs.

I think all those guys are very unskilled. We could go back to legends like Igor, Royce, and Frye fighting huge guys. I think the difference lies in the fact that Lindland's fighting Fedor. I would bet Lindland would also beat those guys Igor did, he's very skilled. This is Fedor, the consensus IMO gretaest MMA fighter in the world. I think we all want to see Lindland vs A. Silva, Hendo( on same team so probably not),Kang , Filho, Franklin and other's. I guess I hate to see him go the way Wandy and Sakuraba did. He has nothing to prove fighing HVYweights IMO. I just want to know who the best middleweight in the world is. To me, he's doing this for money , recognition, and because he knows no one will dis him for losing to Fedor. However, if he really fight's the whole contracy at HVY he's bound to lose some fight's to guy's who aren't that respected. What's Monson / Top-10 to 20? Or Alek's 10-15? Zentsov 15-25? Rizzo? Any of these guys should beat him IMO. I guess I just hate to see such a great fighter wasting some of his prime years. It's not like he's builtl ike Coutre or Tanner. Lindland and Hendo just look like normal guys strengthwise to me. I guess we can just hope that some other great middleweight's get in their with him.
ac_gi
2/1/07 3:20:57AM
One judge had Lindland beating a pretty big LH in Rampage. That being said, I don't think Lindland makes it out of the 1st round.
Svartorm
2/1/07 3:32:58AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Svartorm

I think all those guys are very unskilled. We could go back to legends like Igor, Royce, and Frye fighting huge guys. ...What's Monson / Top-10 to 20? Or Alek's 10-15? Zentsov 15-25? Rizzo? Any of these guys should beat him IMO.

Oh, I was just using that as an example to show that there need not be a weightclass per se.

And yeah, I don't see Lindland hanging with many heavyweights, although I do think he could take out Rizzo, and that might even be a good fight. You've gotta wonder why Team Quest seems to be moving up in weight though, with Randy and Lindland going to heavy and Hendo going to LHW. Maybe they got something up their sleeves?
lerhinge
2/1/07 3:34:10AM
I guess because he's capable of taking Fedor down it's possible to cut him and everyone has a punchers chance that its literally possible for him to win, but if Rampage can hang with him in takedowns I foresee no difficulty for Fedor as he'll bring a better gameplan and is considerably better than rampage in general.
hippysmacker
2/1/07 3:43:49AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Svartorm

I think all those guys are very unskilled. We could go back to legends like Igor, Royce, and Frye fighting huge guys. ...What's Monson / Top-10 to 20? Or Alek's 10-15? Zentsov 15-25? Rizzo? Any of these guys should beat him IMO.

Oh, I was just using that as an example to show that there need not be a weightclass per se.

And yeah, I don't see Lindland hanging with many heavyweights, although I do think he could take out Rizzo, and that might even be a good fight. You've gotta wonder why Team Quest seems to be moving up in weight though, with Randy and Lindland going to heavy and Hendo going to LHW. Maybe they got something up their sleeves?

I got your point. Sorry, if it seemed I was implying something else. Rizzo did hang with Randy who was a lot bigger and stronger. I think Randy came back at HVY because he couldn't beat Chuck. As for Hendo and Lindland, I think they will just fight anybody for enough money and prestige.
Svartorm
2/1/07 3:48:01AM
Rizzo back then was a force to be reckoned with, but after seeing him fight Sergei and Zentsov, I think hes pretty well done, and I'd put my fantasy wager dollars on Lindland in that one.
amik
2/1/07 4:01:19AM
I believe that the combat will be similar to the Fedor-Goodride.

Lindland will be satisfied if he lasts up to second round.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
BloodandTears
2/1/07 10:56:33AM
I'd rather see Lindland fight someone more inline w/ his abilities. This wouldent be a good matchup IMO. Lindland is out of his leauge and needs to be carefull not to get his bubble busted
fedorwins1
2/1/07 3:53:25PM
Matt Lindland has some fricken balls! I respect him as a fighter and that being said Fedor TKO rd 1.....
tuthemaxx
2/1/07 8:55:06PM
lindland's game if he can get close enough is likely to be get close. but i do not think that he will get close enough to fedor and if he does he will just shake him off like he does all the people who try this type game plan against him. if he can get close and do what he did against rampage he might have a chance . But I think he will not get close enough !!!!

CTT Heavyweight
Tuthemaxx
ElGuApO91
2/2/07 12:10:35AM
i just dont see wat lindland is thinking how does he expect himself to beat fedor. he just doesnt come close to fedors capabilities. fedor by ko,sub, anything he wants.
tberg420
2/2/07 9:21:05AM
What if Lindland actually does the unthinkable and beats Fedor. Does that mean Lindland deserves a shot at the Pride Heavyweight Title? This is why I don't think champions fighting for other companies. If Pride continues to allow this, MMA could turn into boxing.
BabbyHughes
2/2/07 11:02:46AM

What if Lindland actually does the unthinkable and beats Fedor. Does that mean Lindland deserves a shot at the Pride Heavyweight Title? This is why I don't think champions fighting for other companies.

Yeah, there is always the chance of an upset...Whenever I completely rule out someone in a fight, I always think of Joe Lauzon vs. Jens Pulver...that always reminds me that there is a puncher's chance for anybody. Yeah, I dont like the idea of champions fighting in other promotions either, unless its a Champion vs. Champion bout.
mmadb
2/2/07 11:35:47AM
Not that I think Lindland is going to win or anything but I want to see this fight more than I would have wanted to see Monson vs. Fedor.

It's all about putting asses in the seats and selling PPV's.