Matt Lindland denied by UFC!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Matt Lindland denied by UFC!
Next Page »
ToeZup
2/25/08 8:57:09AM
I guess Matt Lindland asked Dana to fight in the UFC and Dana said no.

Linkage:

http://www.ufcdaily.com/2008/02/23/ufc-declines-to-offer-contract-to-lindland/

The UFC has declined to offer middleweight Matt Lindland a contract to fight for the promotion, according to a report by MMA Junkie.

Lindland had this to say during a recent appearance on TAGG Radio:

“I made it very clear to Dana (White), and he’s the final decision-maker on all that stuff. I made it very clear that I was looking for them to make me an offer. I said, ‘Make me an offer, and let’s talk. Let’s do business.’ I got back a, ‘We’re not going to make you any kind of an offer’ response.“

Lindland (20-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC) fought for the UFC twelve times between 2000 and 2005 but was abruptly let go following a sponsorship dispute in which Lindland wore promotional materials for an unapproved sponsor during weigh-ins for UFC 54. Inside the octagon Lindland has picked up victories against Yoji Anjo, Ricardo Almeida, Phil Baroni (twice), Pat Miletich, Ivan Salaverry, Falaniko Vitale, Travis Lutter, and Joe Doerksen. His UFC losses came against Murilo Bustamante, Falaniko Vitale, and David Terrell.

Since leaving the UFC, Lindland has secured five victories with only two defeats, both of which were outside of his weight class against current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton Jackson and top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko.
CactusBob
2/25/08 9:00:09AM
A damn shame because if Silva wins, the UFC is going to have a hard time keeping him fed...
ToeZup
2/25/08 9:11:06AM
Good call man. The MW division is lacking a little. He would have been a great addition.
hippysmacker
2/25/08 9:44:20AM
First -I can't blame you fro not knowing this, but this is weeks old news. This is the 4th topic on it since in one way or another
2nd- Lindland probaly can't get out of his IFL deal anyway.They refused to let him out of it when he could have been on the TUF comeback show. The UFC is not going to promote a guy who is promoting another organization.
3rd- Lindland has sadi so many jacked things about the UFc brass that they aren't going to help him in any way I can think of.
4th- I am tired of hearing Lindland un his mouth about the UFC , and especially Rich Franklin. As I was listening to the Stephen Quadros show PODcast from a couple of months ago, I was kinda bummed to hear Lindland running his mouth again. I understand he thinks he's the best ,but he was only complimentary to Anderson and Hendo, and devalued every other middleweight they have . He used to talk crap on Anderson so thats progress I guess , .Still I thought this was all behind him now, and while Aaron Crecy prompted him to rehash it, his assertion that he was pushed out so the UFC could build Franklin just seems whiny to me. He said that Franklin was given can's. First Shamrock and then a "drunken" Evan Tanner. After that he said as soon as he lost to Anderson He was given 2 cans and another title shot. Evan Tanner was top 2 in all rankings I saw at the time in his weight class. Okami is nobody's walk through. He's at least top 10 , if not top 5 to most, and I think he would be a tough fight for Lindland. . Mcdonald I think fits in near the bottom of the top 20, but that's not a can. He was offered a chance to be on the TUF comeback, and found out that the IFL wouldn't release him from his deal to do so.I know that 's not his fault, but if you aren't in the UFC, constantly bashing thier fighters doesn't make you look very col to me. , . His often repeated claim that he was promised a title shot twice and never received one is tired IMO. He had a shot against Bustamante and lost. He was promised a shot if beat Vitale, and knocked himself out. His later assertion when he beat him in the rematch that he beat him now, and deserved a shot sure seemed way out of context to me. He was promised a shot if he beat Terrell and lost. He is an IFL coach , so obviously the UFC won't sign him, but he keeps throwing out challenges to Silva. If he knows he can't fight Silva, without leaving the IFL and signing a exclusive deal with the UFC, then I think he should just be quiet about it .His opinion that " UFC exclusive deals are wrong" is illogical to me from the UFC's point of view. Pride wouldn't help anyone out when they were on top, and It would be bad business for the UFC to help promote a fighter that is affiliated with a rival promotion. I think he would make a lot more money exclusively in the UFC as the middleweight champ, which he claims he would be if he fought Anderson, but I don't know all his finances. My point is, he comes off looking kinda lame making challenges he himself refused, when he chose to resign a deal with them when his IFL deal was up after their first season. Whether you agree with his " exclusive contracts are wrong" opinion or not, he still refused to come to the UFC where he could have had a shot after a win or 2 . 185 and heavyweight( which is just thin in MMA period) are the divisions with the least amount contenders right now IMO. Maybe he can't get out of his IFL deal again l, maybe he can I don't know. Either way if he can't or won't fight the uFc middlewights I wish he would just be quiet about them . I have known a lot of people in my life who talk trash about someone when their is no chance to actually fight them. Even if they really beleive the crap they are talking ( and I think Linland is the exception to the rule ,and really would fight them if he could) ,It's the equivalent of people playing " keyboard ninja" on MMa message boards. Threatening and challenging people to fights that aren't going to happen.Makes him just look bad IMO.
wolfman
2/25/08 10:26:22AM
Good points Hippysmacker! I was pretty much going to bring up the same points. So, props to you.

Yet, I can't deny that what you wrote is a little hard on the eyes to read. It's cool though, because you always have good posts.
Hurricane_Brad
2/25/08 3:58:45PM
Kind of arrogant of the UFC to straight up tell him "no way, now how" without even making a token offer. It's not like the MW division is bursting with contenders.
Jackelope
2/25/08 4:38:11PM
I agree a lot on the pissing contest between the two of them being lame. Supposedly Lindland was told not to wear the shirt, and yet he continued on with it. So in essence, he kind of screwed himself.

On the same token I think Lindland is a top 5 MW, if not a top 3. It sucks to have the MW division deprived of such talent in the UFC, but when you work for a company you do what you're told, or you should expect the consequences.

All in all it's just a sad, stupid state of affairs. It will all blow over in time, though.
Kpro
2/25/08 5:41:49PM

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

Kind of arrogant of the UFC to straight up tell him "no way, now how" without even making a token offer. It's not like the MW division is bursting with contenders.

I wouldn't make an offer to a guy who regularly talks trash about the promotion and it's fighters.

Doesn't matter how good you are; if you have zero sportsmanship and aren't a man of your word, you won't have many bridges that haven't been burned.
Aaronno9
2/25/08 8:16:04PM
Im not gona quote hippysmackers reply becouse itl clog up the page but i completely agree. His comment about rich fighting cans really annoyed me, considering hed just be floating around fighting doerksen, fabio leopoldo, and some guy with a 4-4 record. All of which are bigger "cans" than anybody rich has faced in the ufc. Not just that, he had his chances in the ufc, and he blew it loosing to david terrell. So does a guy who completely went against what dana asked him not to do, openly trashes dana and some of the ufc's fighters while he doesnt have a perfect record himself really deserve another chance? His saving grace is that the middle weight divison is quite weak compared to the other divisions, but i wont be loosing any sleep over him not being offered a contract.

Lindland made his bed, now he has to lie in it.
telnights
2/25/08 8:16:44PM
I agree with hippysmacker on this.

I don't really want him in the UFC. Matt Lindland is a good fighter but I really think he is a dirty fighter as well. I could bring up a lot of things he has done but the main one that comes to mind is the fight with Murilo Bustamante. He clearly tapped out and then claimed he didn't. Then Murilo Bustamante went on to sub him again. I find it all to funny that his fighter Chael Sonnen did almost the same thing in his fight with Paulo Filho. Theres been other things as well inculding the way he runs his mouth. But I think most people get the point.
jocksmall
2/26/08 6:34:23PM
matt could be the best 185er in the world and the ufc doesnt want him? All of this business about him talking trash is irrelevant he is a fighter it doesnt matter if you like him or if i like him. what matters is that he is really good at what he does. dana claims that he has the best fighters and here is one of the many he doesnt have. hippys whole argument about why would the ufc help a guy who talks so much trash about the ufc and its fighters is missing the point and elementry to me. they wouldnt be helping only matt they would be helping the ufc by making the 185 class much better. hippy also said matt would make more $ in the ufc and im not sure that is true. the exclusive deals guys are forced to sign, "approved sponsors" only are a couple of things that seem very one-sided . and i have heard dana talk trash about a whole bunch of guys in and out of the ufc. he has ripped matt, josh barnett, fedor, and he is truley never going to fight these guys so why doesnt that bother you guys. the whole thing w/ dana and tito and dana calling tito names and putting on that stupid special on spike tv about a boxing match that never occurred. my point is dana should never ban a guy for talking trash because he disrespects everyone who isnt in the ufc and many who use to be in and left and some who are still in the ufc.
d_block07
2/26/08 7:27:37PM

Posted by jocksmall

matt could be the best 185er in the world and the ufc doesnt want him? All of this business about him talking trash is irrelevant he is a fighter it doesnt matter if you like him or if i like him. what matters is that he is really good at what he does. dana claims that he has the best fighters and here is one of the many he doesnt have. hippys whole argument about why would the ufc help a guy who talks so much trash about the ufc and its fighters is missing the point and elementry to me. they wouldnt be helping only matt they would be helping the ufc by making the 185 class much better. hippy also said matt would make more $ in the ufc and im not sure that is true. the exclusive deals guys are forced to sign, "approved sponsors" only are a couple of things that seem very one-sided . and i have heard dana talk trash about a whole bunch of guys in and out of the ufc. he has ripped matt, josh barnett, fedor, and he is truley never going to fight these guys so why doesnt that bother you guys. the whole thing w/ dana and tito and dana calling tito names and putting on that stupid special on spike tv about a boxing match that never occurred. my point is dana should never ban a guy for talking trash because he disrespects everyone who isnt in the ufc and many who use to be in and left and some who are still in the ufc.

THANK YOU. Its a fighting company, not a talking company if tha tmakes sense
cowcatcher
2/26/08 8:34:11PM
im not sure matt is a top 3 or 5 MW anymore, he hasnt really done anything to show it in the last year or so(he did look good against fedor for about 2 minutes, and beat a rapidly declining carlos newton who is 2-7 since 2002). basically what im saying is the guy is almost 38 and although randy proves that age doesnt always matter, not everyone is captain america. i know matt trains with team quest all the time and has always been one of the toughest guys in mma, and the MW division is thin, but at some point there will be a decline in skill and its been awhile since hes seen consistant in ring competition. i think matt knows his days are numbered in the sport(at least as a top fighter) and wanted to make one more big run but got caught between trying to build himself up by putting down other fighters, and the fact that he needs the ufc more than they need him at this point. id love to see him back in the octagon to see how much is left in his tank and where he stacks up against the rest of their MWs, but in the end you make your own bed.
telnights
2/26/08 8:59:20PM

Posted by jocksmall

Do you have any clue some of the stuff Matt has done to the UFC and said about the UFC and its fighters? Fact is the UFC was very good to Lindland. They gave him a 3 fight contract in 2004 to which he lost his first fight to Terrel. He thens quits and leaves the UFC hanging. Then the UFC after getting burned once welcome him back in 2005 with a new 3 fight contract to which he spits in their faces by blatantly violating an endorsement clause in the new contract even after being warned not to do it. The hole time he has done nothing but bash the UFC and its fighters. Why would any company want someone like that back.
bls1919
2/26/08 9:04:59PM
not surprised, why would you want a top guy like him back? especially in the mw div. Although he might have a tough time getting out of his IFL contract
slick781
2/27/08 8:56:53AM
What alot of people dont seem to realize, and its bugging the shit out of me, is that even if it is a fighting company and not a talking company, its still a company, nonetheless.

If you worked with someone that was really good at what they do, but talked shit about thier coworkers, talked shit about your employer, and made your company look bad, would he be kept around? I dont think so.

UFC spent alot of time and money to get where they are and they damn sure are not going to let thier brand go to hell just to sign a Matt Linland (with all the UFC and fighter badmouthing), resign a Babalu (or anyone else that blatantly puts another fighters life in danger), or resign a Tito Ortiz (no matter how popular he is).

Fact is, no matter what all the "UFC SUX" and "DANA WHITE SUX" 10 year olds say, UFC is running thier business like a.... make sure you are sitting for this.... a business.

When your job employs you, don't you have what is essentially a "non compete" clause in YOUR contract? You think Blockbuster would like it if you worked for Hollywood on the side? You think McDonald's wants you pulling nights at Burger King?

And all this BS about pay all these whiney babies are complaining about.... create a UNION, that's what they are for. If you can't form a union, maybe its because alot of guys are pretty happy with what theyve got. Otherwise, EVERY OTHER business in the world sometimes pays the new guys more than tenured guys. Its the cost of being competitive, this arguement has gone for a hundred years in this country. You think when Google goes out to hire new techies they always hire them in at a lower rate than what thier tenured guys make? Job market and demand set the hiring pay rate, not the company. The same is true for UFC. Couture and all the other guys have contracts already, contracts THEY AGREED TO, which means they were happy, or content, with those contracts. UFC HAD to fork out more money to get guys like Lesnar, Rampage, Cro Cop, otherwise they would have gone elsewhere, because the demand for fighters is higher than supply. Two or three years down the road, UFC will sign someone else and then Lesnar and Rampage will be bitching about thier contracts, its just the way it is.

Just like people will continue to bitch about Dana White and the UFC ruining MMA.
ncordless
2/27/08 6:15:04PM
Ugghh.

Yeah, Lindland is always talking smack about the UFC. SO WHAT!

I wish the UFC top brass would quit acting like a bunch of middle school girls and sign the best fighters regardless of personal issues. Can't they ever just be the better man? The UFC will never become the end all be all of mma until they can conduct business without getting caught up in the pettiness.

Seriously, this stuff makes me so mad because it is nothing but bad for the sport. Take off the prom dress put on a business suit and conduct business like a man. The world of MMA and UFC will be better for it.
slick781
2/27/08 9:16:19PM
You further prove the point in my last post....

UFC is being the bigger man, they are being the ones in business suits by NOT signing Lindland. It does not help thier business in any way to have him. So what if 36 MMA fans think UFC should sign him? Right now, there are a few thousand people who have read Lindland's remarks about various things... if the UFC signs him, there will be articles on the front page of Yahoo with his previous quotes about the UFC. Why would UFC risk ALL that negative attention to please the few people who really want Lindland in the UFC? Lindland has done nothing for the UFC, why would they do anything for him?
telnights
2/27/08 10:39:44PM

Posted by ncordless

Ugghh.

Yeah, Lindland is always talking smack about the UFC. SO WHAT!

I wish the UFC top brass would quit acting like a bunch of middle school girls and sign the best fighters regardless of personal issues. Can't they ever just be the better man? The UFC will never become the end all be all of mma until they can conduct business without getting caught up in the pettiness.

Seriously, this stuff makes me so mad because it is nothing but bad for the sport. Take off the prom dress put on a business suit and conduct business like a man. The world of MMA and UFC will be better for it.

So you think its good for the UFC do just do whatever it takes to get a fighter even if it means hurting the company in the end? If so then I'm sure glad you don't run my company.

I will quote my post early because I don't think your read it.

Posted by telnights
Do you have any clue some of the stuff Matt has done to the UFC and said about the UFC and its fighters? Fact is the UFC was very good to Lindland. They gave him a 3 fight contract in 2004 to which he lost his first fight to Terrel. He thens quits and leaves the UFC hanging. Then the UFC after getting burned once welcome him back in 2005 with a new 3 fight contract to which he spits in their faces by blatantly violating an endorsement clause in the new contract even after being warned not to do it. The hole time he has done nothing but bash the UFC and its fighters. Why would any company want someone like that back.

So the UFC should give him a 3rd chance even after being screwed over twice? Why is that some people think its the UFC job to make them happy even if it means losing money and giving the company away do just sign a fighter. Come on use some common sense here and see that they are not going to give a guy a 3rd chance after being screwed over twice no company in its right mind would. Spend some time and do some research on Lindland before just saying the UFC should take him back because he is a ranked fighter. In the end Lindland has made his bed and now he has to lie in it.
jocksmall
2/28/08 4:13:03PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by jocksmall

he spits in their face? how exactly did he do that? for wearing a t-shirt? quit being such a blind ufc defender and realize that there are things that could be done different that would give us all better value for our money . you can believe all of the ufc hype if you want. im not saying i like matt i dont know him maybe hes a jerk but this is a fight game and its probably not full of nice poeple.
why dont you address the fact that dana is constantly bashing? your argument is overdramatic and one-sided but i guess that is nothing new.
telnights
2/29/08 1:02:21AM

Posted by jocksmall
he spits in their face? how exactly did he do that? for wearing a t-shirt? quit being such a blind ufc defender and realize that there are things that could be done different that would give us all better value for our money . you can believe all of the ufc hype if you want. im not saying i like matt i dont know him maybe hes a jerk but this is a fight game and its probably not full of nice poeple.
why dont you address the fact that dana is constantly bashing? your argument is overdramatic and one-sided but i guess that is nothing new.

I'm not blindly defending anything I'm just going off the facts and using some common sense, I know its a stretch but you should try it sometime. If read my post you would have your answer for your first 2 questions. Let me repost it for you and this time please take the time to read it.

Posted by telnights

The fact is the UFC gave him 2 chances. Both of which got ended on his own accord. He was warned about his sponsorship but he defied them anyways. I don't know what kind of fantasy world you live in but in the real world company's don't resign people after they done what Lindland has done to the UFC.

Now I could get in to the dirty fighting he has done as well. He bit a guy in his early wrestling days also in one of his MMA fights. Then there is the time he fought Murilo Bustamante that he cleary tapped out to an arm bar then after big john break them apart he claims he didn't. So the restarted and Bustamante submitted him again. I could go on and on with this but I not because I don't even think you will take the time to read it. What I going to do it quote on of my post early again and direct it towards you.

Posted by telnights
So the UFC should give him a 3rd chance even after being screwed over twice? Why is that some people think its the UFC job to make them happy even if it means losing money and giving the company away do just sign a fighter. Come on use some common sense here and see that they are not going to give a guy a 3rd chance after being screwed over twice no company in its right mind would. Spend some time and do some research on Lindland before just saying the UFC should take him back because he is a ranked fighter. In the end Lindland has made his bed and now he has to lie in it.

MMA
2/29/08 10:40:51AM
Sad how Dana cannot look over their petty differences and just sign Lindland. What if Henderson loses? There are only a few contenders left in the division and I don't really see any of them beating Silva.

There's Okami, Kampmann, and Leites (and Bisping I suppose) left. I don't really see any of them posing a serious threat to Silva. Yeah, they all have the potential to win but I just don't see it happening. If W. Silva decides to drop down, that would make things more interesting but come on, just sign Lindland!
pv3Hpv3p
2/29/08 11:28:50AM

Posted by telnights

C'mon man... You make it sound like wanting to figth elsewhere and wearing a t-shirt are just ripping the roots out of this great moral stronghold that is the UFC... Don't be so dramatic... It wasn't that big a deal, and it's pretty childish on both sides, not just Lindland's...

The UFC's job isn't to make 'them' happy... It's to bring in the best fighters and to put on the most compelling fights...

It's a business, and they have to let bygones be bygones... especially in a division that is most void of talent and being dominated by one man... You speak of common sense, but talk about this situation emotionally instead of logically...

Common sense tells me:

- They need to beef up their MW division...
- Lindland is a top teir MW, which seems pretty hard to come by these days...
- Your biggest rival, EliteXC, has a better 185lbs division that you do
- There is a pheonix raising from the ashes of a dead PrideFC More competition)

From a business standpoint, what would you do, sensically, logically whatever way you want to look at it...
Hurricane_Brad
2/29/08 12:04:21PM

Posted by Kpro
I wouldn't make an offer to a guy who regularly talks trash about the promotion and it's fighters.

Doesn't matter how good you are; if you have zero sportsmanship and aren't a man of your word, you won't have many bridges that haven't been burned.

Tito Ortiz talks trash about Dana and the management all the time, and he managed to get his job back, and fighters are always bashing each other. A personal grudge should not get in the way of good business and better fights for the fans.
chuteboxe75
2/29/08 12:58:42PM
If they were to bring back Lindland then they should also bring back Baroni. Then they can match them up for the final Woogie vs Badass showdown.
telnights
2/29/08 5:05:44PM
Oh give me a break guys. The guy broke his contract not once but twice. This isn't anyone having petty differences or me over acting. People can act like wearing a t-shirt he did is no big deal (this is the 2nd time he broke a contract not the first) but the fact is he was told not to and did it anyways. Any time you work for a company and the boss tells you not to do something and you do it anyways in defiance thats almost always going to end with you losing your job. I don't understand what is so hard for some people to understand about this. Why would any company want to hire someone that has broken 2 contracts and on the 2nd one they did something in defiance of what they were told. Doesn't matter how good he is if he wont hold true to his contract or follow the rules what good is he for the company.

All the BS a side just answer these 4 questions.

If someone you hired in on contract broke 2 contracts with your company would you really hire them a 3rd time.

If yes

Would you still hire that person if they have done nothing but trash talked your company and its people the hole time even when they were part of the company.

if yes

Would you still hire that person if they are still under contract with another company.

if yes

Would you still hire that person has been known to use dirty tactics.

If you said yes to all those then I'm going to guess and say you never owned or will own a successful company.
hippysmacker
2/29/08 5:51:16PM
Personally I wonder if some of the people who commented in this thread even read my post. Do I think Lindland is a top 5-10 middleweight? Yes I do. Can he get out of his IFL contract? No he can't. So why this discussion is still going on baffles me. I see no reason why the UFC should help promote a rival, and no one on top does. It's just basic business. Do I think Dana talks trash sometimes? Absolutely, and so does Lindland. The difference to me is one is a fighter, and one is a promoter. I have no high expectations for ANY promoter. I just feel that MMA is a sport that represents honor among it's competitors. Those who don't act this way bother me.I just feel Lindlands constant trashing of other fighters is dishonorable, and definitely shouldn't be rewarded. Everyones entitled too their own opinion , but in mine Lindlands made his own bed, and has to lie in it now.
slick781
2/29/08 7:31:53PM
And by wearing the tee shirt, he wasn't only breaking HIS contract, he most likely would have been breaking a contract the UFC had with another company. You think if Pepsi was paying you millions of dollars for exclusive advertising, they would be happy to see your employees walking around in Coca Cola shirts? I bet that doesn't make anyone very happy.

There are no pros for bringing Lindland to the UFC that outweigh any of the cons.

edited for misreading earlier post
telnights
3/1/08 2:58:05AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Personally I wonder if some of the people who commented in this thread even read my post.

There seams to be a lot of that going on lately! I have had to repost stuff just because people didn't read it the first time but yet some how committed on it.
jocksmall
3/1/08 3:53:12PM
i have read the posts by hippy and the others ive commented on. hippy are you saying that the fighter should be honorable but the promoter doesnt need to be? are you holding one side of a deal to a higher standard than the other?
look at what randy has done to the ufc it is far worse than anything that lindland did. he is a sitting champ and tried to throw the ufc under the bus. bashed them in the press, claims of disrespect etc. the ufc would bring him back today.
anyone who denies that is crazy. wheres the consistancy in the handling of fighters. my whole point is that if lindland should be kept out (regardless of ifl status) then so should others. i believe that the in fight infractions listed by telenights is just piling on. there are alot of guys that have broken the rules in a fight and are in the ufc too many to name. lindland is going to fight somewhere and i along with most of you guys are going to watch. some like him some hate him but both groups will watch. the ufc can build up okami or bisping and say hes the number one contender at 185 this summer but we all know there is a better guy out there. if he cant get out of the ifl deal then fine but to say that the ufc shouldnt want this guy to be in there stable because he was trying to make some money by wearing a t-shirt and the ufc didnt get a piece of the action is crazy. the ufc event tonite is going to be great but when its over the 185 division will be depleted and the ufc will have to build up a guy and sell him as the best. will you guys believe the hype?
Pages: [1] 2