Matt Lindland claims UFC contracts are illegal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Lindland claims UFC contracts are illegal
MMAcca
7/3/08 1:21:54PM
Republican House of Representatives candidate and - of course - highly respected middleweight Matt Lindland believes there is something very wrong with the contracts from MMA’s top organization.

The UFC contracts are illegal. Based on the Muhammad Ali (Safety) Act, you cannot be the promoter and the manager at the same time,” Lindland said, “If they are telling you who and when you are going to fight, they are the manager as well as the promoter.”

LINK
bullettdodger
7/3/08 1:24:44PM
Interesting loophole for Couture... if such an act exists, why has no action been taken by any regulatory body?
The-Don
7/3/08 1:41:38PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Interesting loophole for Couture... if such an act exists, why has no action been taken by any regulatory body?

The big question is will it apply yo MMA... When this was written.. MMA did not basicly exist.. Maybe thats why Dana tried so hard to seperate the sport from Boxing.. so this act can not come into play.. .. If congress were to modify it to include MMA and other combat sports then yea the UFC is going to have to do some serious renegoations.
Vote4Fedro
7/3/08 2:07:55PM
Lindland is just mad because he is ugly and smells bad and the UFC don't want him.
scoozna
7/3/08 2:26:29PM
The UFC doesn't tell them who/when to fight. Fighters turn down fights all the time. Of course, they aren't going very far if they do turn down fights. So maybe Lindland can prove it's a distinction without a difference.
puppetmaster837
7/3/08 2:27:42PM

Posted by Vote4Fedro

Lindland is just mad because he is ugly and smells bad and the UFC don't want him.

Thanks for your input, now anytime you want to go back to Sherdog please feel free.

What exactly would this change if it were illegal? Would that make all fighters contracts void or would the UFC just have to change some stuff around?
Pitbull09
7/3/08 2:35:53PM
I don't like the idea of this. FOr the most part, fighters shouldn't be chosing their opponent. The promotion makes good cards by having this freedom and without it, MMA is heading one more step to boxings downfall. Lindland better just let it go.
Darnok
7/3/08 2:54:37PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I don't like the idea of this. FOr the most part, fighters shouldn't be chosing their opponent. The promotion makes good cards by having this freedom and without it, MMA is heading one more step to boxings downfall. Lindland better just let it go.

warglory
7/3/08 3:39:29PM
This is the worst stretch i have ever heard. Lindland simply put, does not like the UFC. UFC fighters are free to negotiate with their MANAGERS (whom are not the UFC payroll) to whatever extent they wish when signing with the company. Dana White and Joe Silva book matches by pushing and holding back certain fighters based on performance, that's all they do in a nutshell after a fighter is signed. Since when does that constitute managing a fighter?

Oh, and it's funny how Lindland fails to mention Monte Cox and Adrenaline MMA who basically employs fighters that he manages.
KYGUY07
7/3/08 4:12:47PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by Pitbull09

:

100 %
DevonFoxy
7/3/08 4:17:04PM

Posted by warglory

Oh, and it's funny how Lindland fails to mention Monte Cox and Adrenaline MMA who basically employs fighters that he manages.

Thats what I was thinking lol Exactly. Big Tim came out and said he was going to Affliction because his manager was Monty Cox so where is that in your comments Mr.Linland?

Sour Grapes
Natedogg42
7/3/08 6:44:04PM
Yeah I lost all respect for "The Law" when I found out he was running as a Republican. This just lowers my opinion of him even more.
whardin19
7/3/08 6:49:07PM
This dude just needs to let it go that the UFC doesn't want him. Get over it.
wrona666
7/3/08 7:12:59PM
I used to like Lindland, but its garbage like this that makes me loose respect for the guy....He's just mad that he cant fight for the UFC, and to bad because i would enjoy watching Anderson Silva destroy him!!!!!!!!!
telnights
7/3/08 9:08:23PM
Lindland is just mad that the UFC wont give him one of there illegal contracts.
EliasG
7/5/08 2:15:53AM
LIndland is right and this will soon be litigated. Ali Act applied to boxing for this exact reason. MMA in its current form and current economic form did not exist. However, it would not be difficult to interpret the law to include MMA in the definitions and protections inherent for the fighters in the act. In point of fact, it was passed PRECISELY for the protection of FIGHTERS not just boxers. THe focus was on protecting fighters from being exploited by promoters and managers. The UFC should and most likely DOES fall under this act. If it is proven in court that it does---and that is most likely where the interpretation will take place---the UFC will have to change the way it does business.
imanidiot777
7/5/08 8:48:16AM

Posted by Natedogg42

Yeah I lost all respect for "The Law" when I found out he was running as a Republican. This just lowers my opinion of him even more.

Probably not a good idea to start a political debate on this website but since you started I'll tell you straight up I'm not a member of either republicans or democrats but I'd be a republican far sooner. Just because you don't like republicans doesn't mean you can assume what they believe in is wrong or ignorant.
Darnok
7/5/08 1:53:55PM

Posted by telnights

Lindland is just mad that the UFC wont give him one of there illegal contracts.

You always say what everybody is thinking.

Props
EliasG
7/5/08 2:20:12PM
Lindland doesn't need the UFC anymore than they need him. He is a succesful businessman with his own shows, his own VERY successful gym, his own merch, and he is going to be very involved in politics in the Rep. party in oregan for some time. Yeah, I don't think he's starving for a contract that will give him 50K a fight for 3 fights in 3 years in the UFC/