Matt Leinart...Arizona Hardly Knew Ye

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Matt Leinart...Arizona Hardly Knew Ye
BlueSkiesBurn
9/1/10 2:45:48PM
The Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders and New York Giants have had discussions about trading for Arizona Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart, league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Leinart and the Cardinals are tiring of each other and as each day passes, many believe a trade of Leinart, who is unhappy that he's not starting, is more likely with roster moves coming this weekend, sources said.

link

I cannot say this shocks me in the slightest. As I stated on another thread, I don't believe that Matty boy has made enough progress since leaving USC. According to everything I've heard on ESPN as I'm following this story, the problem goes beyond his "short passes."

Early reports are saying that Leinart doesn't have the respect of the team when he's assumed the QB position. The team doesn't believe in him. He can't throw the ball down field, which has been a staple of the Cardinal offense for some time now. Sure, he may have better numbers than Anderson, but that's not hard to do when you're dinking and dunking, something you'd expect out of a rookie. Not a fourth year veteran.
postman
9/1/10 3:03:18PM
Dummy had Fitz and he dosn't wanna fall in line.
Twenty20Dollars
9/1/10 3:44:52PM
Prolly going to go sit behind Eli Manning.

But Cards are in trouble if their starter is going to be Anderson
Jackelope
9/1/10 7:23:03PM
This came as a surprise even to the local radio stations here in town who follow the Cardinals religiously. Hell, I'll admit I was flat out wrong. I thought for sure, as did many other fans, that Leinart had paid his dues behind Warner for those years and that the starting role was a given.

That being said, it has come out in just the past few days that things were going on off the field that may have contributed to this more than anything else. Namely, the Fitz thing (which was just a rumor started by Cris Carter but seems to be gaining steam) and on top of that Kurt Warner has stated that Whiz and Leinart don't seem to have the best relationship.

I would stand up in defense of Leinart saying that it has nothing to deal with his off field antics and more to deal with his relationship with the team and his poor preseason production. That's the stigma that has followed him around due to a few screw ups earlier on in his career but he hasn't had any problems since a few years back. Even Jay Glazer and Ken Whisenhunt will happily report Leinart has been working very hard in the off season and both have already done so.

I think the jury is still out on Leinart and I hope he gets a starting job somewhere so he can have a chance to prove all his critics wrong.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/1/10 7:39:26PM

Posted by Jackelope

This came as a surprise even to the local radio stations here in town who follow the Cardinals religiously. Hell, I'll admit I was flat out wrong. I thought for sure, as did many other fans, that Leinart had paid his dues behind Warner for those years and that the starting role was a given.

That being said, it has come out in just the past few days that things were going on off the field that may have contributed to this more than anything else. Namely, the Fitz thing (which was just a rumor started by Cris Carter but seems to be gaining steam) and on top of that Kurt Warner has stated that Whiz and Leinart don't seem to have the best relationship.

I would stand up in defense of Leinart saying that it has nothing to deal with his off field antics and more to deal with his relationship with the team and his poor preseason production. That's the stigma that has followed him around due to a few screw ups earlier on in his career but he hasn't had any problems since a few years back. Even Jay Glazer and Ken Whisenhunt will happily report Leinart has been working very hard in the off season and both have already done so.

I think the jury is still out on Leinart and I hope he gets a starting job somewhere so he can have a chance to prove all his critics wrong.

I know exactly what you're saying about his hard work and training, but his inability to get the ball down the field has been something that has actually led to his teammates not trusting in his ability to win games.

It certainly has become clear that those incidents early on in his career aren't the reasons people want him out, per se.

I can't help but wonder how those incidents have impacted his progression in the overall scheme of things, Jackelope. Do you know what I mean?

If he hadn't have been dicking around when he arrived he wouldn't have to be working this hard to catch up now.

There's no way to truly tell if those off-the-field mistakes he made when he arrived have off-set his progress and his maturation as a team leader, but I'd be willing to be dollars to donuts that they didn't help.
Twenty20Dollars
9/1/10 11:01:50PM
Maybe Kurt Warner should pull a Brett Favre.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/4/10 3:41:17PM
18/58 Update:

Cardinals have seen enough. They're done with Leinart and have released him.

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have released quarterback Matt Leinart, ending a rocky stint with the team that began with fanfare as he was drafted 10th overall in 2006 and ended this preseason with the former USC star taking a backseat to Derek Anderson.

link
FlashyG
9/6/10 1:48:23PM
1 Year deal with the Texans. For some reason I thought Buffalo would have been a good fit for him.

Story