Matt Hughes unsure if Thiago Alves is a top five welterweight (Audio)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hughes unsure if Thiago Alves is a top five welterweight (Audio)
SmileR
8/5/08 10:04:21PM
Note that he also indicates his knee injury should be healed around January 2009 at which time he intends to take on Matt Serra once and for all.

Link
finnish_line
8/5/08 10:13:37PM

Well I'm sure.

6-0 in his last 6, and 8-1 in his last 9 in the UFC, with only a loss to legit #2 Jon Fitch. Wins over Parisyan and Hughes.

Alves is #3 in the UFC.
bls1919
8/5/08 10:15:39PM
Just how many more knees/punches does he need to take from Thiago to prove it to him. Because ask him(Matt) he's top five in his mind. Hughes needs to fade away. he was GREAT no doubt. But i personaly have had enough. i actually would pick Serra at this point and put an avatar bet
postman
8/5/08 10:30:33PM
I hope, if Finch dosn't win and they give Alves a shot, he beats GSP because I don't see anyone at 170 doing it. At least if Alves beats him we will have 3 fight saga.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/5/08 10:40:08PM
I'm a little disappointed by this interview. Hughes came across very condescending to me in this interview and seemed to hold himself on a pedestal. Comments like, "He was an easy guy to train for", "I don't know if you know this but I don't live and breathe the UFC, I probably couldn't even name you 5 people," "My friend read it and said it was all about how great Randy was, I know how great Randy is, I don't need to read a book telling me how great Randy is." He couldn't even give props to GSP. I mean, GSP only beat him twice. I might be listening incorrectly but this just seemed really condescending. I would like to see what others think about this and I appreciate all feedback regarding the way I interpreted it.
DiabloFreak56
8/5/08 11:13:28PM
and now what does matt think he is at?
Aether
8/5/08 11:20:02PM
well it's natural to assume he's going to be rude about matt serra, he was definitely condescending in that part, but that's to be expected because of the feud. His comments about Thiago though don't seem to be as much condescending saying "I don't think he's top 5" as much as "I really have no clue because I don't pay attention to the UFC". Same as the Randy comments, I think he's basically just saying he really doesn't read and he's not interested in reading randy's book if it's about things he already knows.

I usually see him as pretty condescending but he doesn't seem to be particularly disrespectful to anyone except Serra. He just seems to be distancing himself from the sport. I don't think it's a bad attitude it's just him genuinely not knowing or caring about things that are going on in the MMA scene.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/5/08 11:28:04PM
I see what you're saying and I thought about all those things as well but at the end of the day the comments just felt condescending to me. Maybe it was his inflection maybe it was just the very nonchalant way in which they were said, I don't know. Just got that vibe. Like I said, I thought it and just wanted to see if anyone else picked up on it. No wrong answers here.
bojangalz
8/5/08 11:37:25PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'm a little disappointed by this interview. Hughes came across very condescending to me in this interview and seemed to hold himself on a pedestal. Comments like, "He was an easy guy to train for", "I don't know if you know this but I don't live and breathe the UFC, I probably couldn't even name you 5 people," "My friend read it and said it was all about how great Randy was, I know how great Randy is, I don't need to read a book telling me how great Randy is." He couldn't even give props to GSP. I mean, GSP only beat him twice. I might be listening incorrectly but this just seemed really condescending. I would like to see what others think about this and I appreciate all feedback regarding the way I interpreted it.

Hughes condesending...noooooooooo.

Me sarcastic...nooooooooooo.

Seriously though- Matt cant be blamed for these comments, his head is still ringing from that knee. He'll probably wake up tomorrow and not even realize that he had an interview.
Gladiator
8/5/08 11:41:00PM
It never ceases to amaze me how people will take anything hughes says as an excuse to make him into a jerk. (this is not directed at BlueSkies)

Hughes is giving his opinion and people are making comments like "how many knees to the face do u have to take to change your mind," as if that is the determining factor in how u rank someone. He pointedly states that he doesnt keep up with the ufc much anymore and is UNSURE if he would put Alves in the top 5. He is not blasting alves at all but u would think that he was taking anderson silva off the p4p list from some of the reactions on here. give the guy a break, and whoever wants that av bet on serra vs hughes ill gladly take u up on that.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/5/08 11:54:17PM
I know you weren't directing that at me, I hope. So, I will clarify something. I in no way shape or form have any dislike for Hughes. He is one of the greatest champions I have ever seen. I actually like Hughes. I just sort of felt like some of the comments were condescending in tone or, if nothing else, could be taken that way. By all means, Hughes, if you felt disrespected by Matt Serra, handle it. It's what you get paid to do, so you may as well get paid to fight someone you don't like.

to Gladiator for excluding me in that turning Hughes into a jerk disclaimer.
Pitbull09
8/6/08 12:38:17AM
I would have to disagree
BlueSkiesBurn
8/6/08 12:44:13AM
Care to elaborate?
originalconspiracy
8/6/08 9:31:26AM
why is hughes always so bitter? dude gets more annoying with every loss
wrona666
8/6/08 11:36:32AM
Hughes need to go back to shoveling horse shit.....I cant stand to even listen to him talk let alone fight anymore.....Have some respect for the man who just beat your ass.....
emfleek
8/6/08 11:48:43AM

Posted by Aether

well it's natural to assume he's going to be rude about matt serra, he was definitely condescending in that part, but that's to be expected because of the feud. His comments about Thiago though don't seem to be as much condescending saying "I don't think he's top 5" as much as "I really have no clue because I don't pay attention to the UFC". Same as the Randy comments, I think he's basically just saying he really doesn't read and he's not interested in reading randy's book if it's about things he already knows.

I usually see him as pretty condescending but he doesn't seem to be particularly disrespectful to anyone except Serra. He just seems to be distancing himself from the sport. I don't think it's a bad attitude it's just him genuinely not knowing or caring about things that are going on in the MMA scene.